Help! I really messed up!

I decided to put Vera on its own Vlan with other IOT devices. I changed the static IP address to the new Vlan and now I’m locked out of Vera. I had it set where I could only log on from a Local connection.

Old config:
IP 192.168.1.020
Subnet 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

New config
IP 10.0.50.020
Subnet 10.0.50.0/24
Gateway 10.0.50.1
DNS 10.0.50.1

I tried logging in from a computer on the same vlan and I cannot access vera. I noticed before I made the change that there were daily backups made, but I’m assuming those were saved to the VeraEdge and not uploaded to a cloud or saved to my network. If I reset VeraEdge will I loose the backups as well?

Is there any way to access vera without wiping everything and starting over? I have several years of developing scenes and logic in this device, and it makes me sick to think I may have to start over. Needing advice.

The most likely culprit is the 10.0.50/24 VLAN not allowing the same access to the Internet that the 192.168.1/24 VLAN does. You need to allow outbound access to the mios ports.

1. Ensure that the 10.0.50/24 VLAN has Internet access and that you are are allowing the mios vera ports (i.e. not blocking/filtering the mios ports)
    1.a Port 232 - Secure Tunnel
    1.b Port 3451 - Mios Control Protocol

2. What do you mean by locked out fully? Is the Vera booting fully but not allowing you to access it? Are you able to ssh to the Vera and see the password prompt or nothing or you can’t access it via a browser?

3. Have you tried connecting the Vera directly to a Computer with a static IP config similar to the VLAN? For example:

IP 10.0.50.1
    Subnet 10.0.50.0/24
    GW 10.0.50.1
    DNS 10.0.50.1

If you can access with a 1:1 Computer<->Vera LAN connection, then it is not the Vera IP config, it is something with the VLAN config.

Thanks for the response. I’ll try your suggestions when I get home this evening. The VLAN does have internet access. I’m not sure how to allow the vera ports as I’m still consider myself a networking newb. This morning the Vera had not triggered any of the scenes that it should have this morning so I don’t even know if it’s booting up. I have not connected directly to a computer as this was going to be my next step.

Let’s step back a bit as well and clarify some actions and terminology.

Changing the IP address block and node address of the Vera on its own is not creating a VLAN. Prior to changing the IP address of the Vera, did you take any steps on your router or switch to make this 10 block known to it? Did you actually go through a process of creating a VLAN by that name, and assign it a VLAN number (other than 1)?

If not, all you’ve done is overlay another IP block on the same network segment you are currently using for 192.168.1–you’ve put a second set of addresses in the same network segment/collision domain. That in itself is not a problem structurally, but it will (a) not give you the separation/isolation/security you are seeking from a VLAN because you haven’t really created one, and (b) if your laptop is still in 192.168.1, it will not know how to route to the Vera (even if it’s on the same network segment), and nobody is routing for it. In this case, you will likely find your Vera becomes accessible again on its 10-space address if you assign your laptop a 10-space address as well.

I did set up the vlan through my router and switch. I can access the internet through the vlan from my phone. It gives my phone a 10.0.50.3 address.

Are you able to access http://10.0.50.020 from your phone when it is on the same 10.0.50/24 VLAN?

Not from my phone, but a tablet PC that was on the same vlan.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Just to clarify, I was not able to connect using the tablet

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

note that there is a difference between the addresses 10.0.50.020 and 10.0.50.20 the first address is equal to 10.0.50.16

what switch are you using, and what is the port configuration for the port where you have the vera - ie vlan id, pvid and is the vlan tagged/untagged.

The 020 = 16 makes since because it was redirecting me to 10.0.50.16. The only reason I used 020 is because my old static ip was 192.168.1.020. I’m using a Netgear JPS516PE 16 port ProSafe Plus switch. The port vera is pluged into is tagged for VLAN ID 50.

I can ping my Harmony hub on 10.0.50.3. but not the vera on 10.0.50.020 or 10.0.50.20.

I would think all my vera scenes would still be running, but that’s not the case. I have a scene for lights to come on when garage doors are opened. This is the only scene that seems to be currently working. At sunset several scenes trigger but that did not happen this evening. I power cycled vera earlier today.

I’m trying to set up an old laptop on same vlan with static Ip to plug vera direct, but says invalid subnet when i enter 10.0.50.0. Was this my mistake? should my subnet in vera remained 255.255.255.0?

When I let the router provide address to the laptop I get a 10.0.50.6 address but subnet remains 255.255.255.0. Once again I can ping harmony hub on Vlan 50 but not vera. I’m going to plug vera directly into laptop , but do not have high hopes since the subnets will not be the same.

Failed to connect plugged into lap top .

Lap top config:
IP 10.0.50.45
Subnet 255.255.255.0

Attached screenshot of vera config before I applied new setting.

Do you have working backup? if you do factory reset Vera and then restore?

I saw daily backups on Vera before I applied settings, but I’m guessing they were internal backups. If I reset vera will I loose all internal backups?

Should Vera scenes still be running even if I can’t access?

Have you tried to access it thru [size=2px]Login ?[/size]

If Vera can’t reach a network time server, the OS software clock will be wrong and scene logic may not run correctly.

I appreciate all of your responses. Vera support is awesome! They fixed through a remote session.

So now that it’s working again can someone guide me in the correct setting in VERA to get the box on my VLAN 10.0.50.0?

I’d have thought so, but maybe not if there’s a startup dependency on internet access.

C

[quote=“blindman75, post:18, topic:200640”]I appreciate all of your responses. Vera support is awesome! They fixed through a remote session.

So now that it’s working again can someone guide me in the correct setting in VERA to get the box on my VLAN 10.0.50.0?[/quote]

Vera support is glad it could help. 8)

The scenes logic are not dependent on an internet connection so they will run even if the controller is offline.

LE: unless they are based on time of the day(sunrise/sunset).