Help with Aeotec Smart Switch Gen5 zw075 & VeraEdge

Hi all,

first time here, tried searching for info on this smart switch but got references to Vera light and UI5.
I have Vera Edge updated to latest firmware and I paired it with the gen5 smart switch but I have a few issues:

1. the device is identified as BinaryLight1 (device type: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:BinaryLight:1)
  2. I have a lot of alerts:
    Device responding again 10 minutes ago
    Device responding again 10 minutes ago
    Device NOT responding 10 minutes ago
    Device NOT responding 10 minutes ago
  3. power metering is no where to be seen…

Note: I’m able to control the on off functionality of the device

I’d appreciate any help with its configuration

Thanks…

Anyone succeeded working with this device and read power usage?

Anyone?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I got two Smart Switch 6, Gen 5, a week ago. Same log messages as you receive. Using VeraEdge, latest firmware. Also have some Smart Energy Switch devices, Schlage doorlock; they get 5 stars in VeraEdge’s reports. The SS6 gets 1 or 2 stars, sometimes none. All devices within 25 feet in two rooms with ordinary framing/drywall.

Search www for (“Gen5 (Z-Wave Plus) Range Issues”) for seemingly related situation.

Aeotec have not responded yet to support request made via e-mail.

FWI: it got these because of the latest chipset mostly for use as repeaters. Did try to add them both secured and unsecured-works, but same problem.

[quote=“Dansker, post:4, topic:187565”]I got two Smart Switch 6, Gen 5, a week ago. Same log messages as you receive. Using VeraEdge, latest firmware. Also have some Smart Energy Switch devices, Schlage doorlock; they get 5 stars in VeraEdge’s reports. The SS6 gets 1 or 2 stars, sometimes none. All devices within 25 feet in two rooms with ordinary framing/drywall.

Search www for (“Gen5 (Z-Wave Plus) Range Issues”) for seemingly related situation.

Aeotec have not responded yet to support request made via e-mail.

FWI: it got these because of the latest chipset mostly for use as repeaters. Did try to add them both secured and unsecured-works, but same problem.[/quote]

I recently picked up a Smart Switch 6, Gen 5. The problem I am having is that the device appears to be added correctly, but it does not respond to commands from the UI to switch the load On/Off. Power monitoring is reported correctly in the UI, but its not terribly useful for controlling a load at this point. I’ve noticed a reviewer on Amazon appears to be having the same problem.

I’m running latest firmware, and have tried adding the device first as a Aeotec Smart Switch and then tried adding as a generic Z Wave device, but still get the same result. I’m wondering if Vera fully supports these devices yet? If anyone has had any luck with getting the devices to respond to load control commands, I’d like to hear how you did it.

I did hear back from Aeotec, asked for firmware version number (no updates are available from their www) and that I heal again.

I have taken my VeraEdge and Smart Switch 6 to the doctor more in the last week than I have gone in a lifetime.

Did move one of the Smart Switch 6 10 feet away in direct line of sight, now it gets 4 stars and the error messages stopped. I have three of the older Smart Energy Switch which scores 4-5 stars 30 feet away with 2 walls in between and always solid. Looks like very poor range for the Smart Switch 6.

Reading PR, Z-wave goes 100-250 feet. My experiences and Vera knowledge base says much less. It seems I need to wire wireless repeaters every 10-15 feet apart. I have 8 Schlage Connect Locks around the edge of the house (obviously) and from all I can deduce it is advantageous to get the “Gen 5” Z-Wave 500 chips as the basis for a Z-Wave system. Anybody with suggestions for good repeaters?

I have the same issue with aeon smart switch gen5.
I also have a stuck “Purging associations” and every 6 hours it logs not responding/responding.

Any suggestions? I have made a reset of the device and unpaired/paired multiple times already.

Does anybody have VeraEdge UI7 working reliably with Aeotec Smart Switch 6 (Gen 5) model #ZW096-A02 ?

Well, I too have been able to include the device (appears as a binary light) am able to turn the device Icon Off/On but it does not make the actual switch turn On/Off. I had to depress the device action button to turn the switch On (green light). Has anyone else got this device to work e.g do we have to change the XML and JSON file to something else? Mike

Same here: Aeotec says support will be in the next Vera release; Vera says they are working on it, but no promises about when.

Hey newbie here, still working all this out. Everything seems more difficult than it should be.

I’ve got a Smart Switch Gen5, Model: ZW075-B09 (NZ/AU freq) and I’m able to turn it on and off via my Vera 3 running latest firmware 1.7.690

Pretty sure I just followed the instructions to set it up, it seems to be setup as a ‘On/Off Switch’

If it helps, under Params I’ve got: urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:BinaryLight:1 / D_BinaryLight1.xml / D_BinaryLight1.json

It reports energy usage when switched to on position, but no idea how to log that or track it over its lifetime without Ergy.

@sauce, thanxs for the Parms; just checked and have the same with my Edge, I’m able to make the icon turn on/off and am able to see wattage when the washer comes on. I had assumed that the switch would also turn On/Off when changing the icon from On/Off, can you verify? Mike

Which switch did you think would also turn on/off? A physical one? ???

I was expecting the smart switch (physical) to turn power on/off to the device plugged into it like a z-wave binary light switch via z-wave command. I can physically depress the smart switch action button (depression on the face of the switch) and am able to turn on/off the attached device.

Recently purchased 5 units to control window candles for the holidays, thinking my wife wouldn’t have to go around and plug them all in. Looks like she’ll still need to manually do it anyway. (Haven’t told her yet :slight_smile:

I opened a support ticket with Vera support stating “Guaranteed Compatibility” as their website states. So I’m hoping to get a response soon. If I hear anything, I’ll update this thread.

I’ve received an reply from Vera Support and their recommend fix works:

Please login and connect to your Vera unit and click on the outlet_name > Advanced > Variables and from Capabilities delete 38, then click on the outside of the box and New Service and Reload engine.

The device might reconfigure so I recommend you to plug it near the vera unit (3 feet) while doing the instructions above.

@kdasilva03 THANK YOU!!! ;D (for posting the answer to fix this. Set up the Aeon Gen 5 Switch as a generic Zwave device and made the change as you quoted from support. Works like a charm).

I’m on 1.7.1509 and have exactly the same problem as “morhimi” in the first post. I don’t have 38 listed as “kdasilva03” describes. Any news on this?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I’m on UI7, 1.7.690.

[quote=“kdasilva03, post:19, topic:187565”]Sorry, I should have clarified. I’m on UI7, 1.7.690.[/quote]I was on 1509 when I made the change to fix this.
My capabilities string for the device looks like this:211,156,1,4,16,1,L,R,B,RS,|37:2,39,50:3,51,89,94,112,114,115,122,129,133,134,