Help with luup code line

I don’t even know enough to be dangerous.

I am trying to set emergency heat mode on a honeywell thermostat. It’s not supported in vera’s device.
I found the suggestion to run a scene with luup code:

luup.call_action(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1”, “SendData”, {Node=33, Data=“x40-1-4”}, 1)

unfortunately is doesn’t run, and also doesn’t run in test luup.

I was hoping someone would take a minute and explain what this line is doing so I might try to find where the code is going wrong. I have very little experience with luup having only done a couple of things successfully.

UI7 on a vera lite right now btw

Where did you copy the code from?

Maybe the quotes are wrong.

luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:ZWaveNetwork1", "SendData", {Node=33, Data="x40-1-4"}, 1)

Have you got the correct Node ID aka AltID for the device?

There should also not be dashes between the values in the Data parameter.

Copied the code from an old post here:

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,17858.0.html

Well, I thought I had tried both the deviceid and the altid, but maybe not. I tried again with the altid and it worked. What determines which of those to use?

I don’t understand the data parameter at all, including the use of the dashes… but it seems to be working now.

The term “node” is usually understood to mean the ZWave node ID, which is the “altid” when a device is a ZWave device (altid has other meanings for other devices/types). The word “device” is the Vera device number, that which you most commonly see.

I’ve never used dashes in the Data parameter, and it isn’t shown in their documentation (linked below), but if it works, fair enough. The content of the string is a series of bytes send directly to the ZWave device; you are basically sending a ZWave command that Vera itself doesn’t have an analogue for, and it’s a common way to access device features that Vera doesn’t expose, and in some cases, do things like configure the device without the need to reload Luup.

http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Luup_UPnP_Variables_and_Actions

(use your on-page search to find the SendData action)

thanks for taking the time to help!

1 Like