Homeseer Switch Firmware update

Is there a way to update the firmware on a HS-WS100+ using my Vera system? I’ve got a unit with ver 5.13 that has a bug in it. Homeseer has released an update, but the instructions to update the unit all work through their Homeseer controller.

No vera does not support OTA updates. Homeseer also has a windows program that will run updates if you don’t have HS3 installed but you’ll still need a usb zwave adaptor which is going to set you back 30.00 or so.

This is the bundle you need: https://shop.homeseer.com/collections/home-control-software/products/homeseer-z-flash-z-wave-firmware-update-kit comes with the firmware update software and a z-stick. Can be used to update other z-wave devices as well (if you can get the firmware). I was able to update my switches by joining the z-stick as a secondary controller to Vera then updating the switches, but it is easier to just update the switches before adding them to Vera.

Thanks for the responses.

I’m thinking that if I spent the 49 bucks, invest the time to do the inclusion of the new hardware and chance that the OTA process proceeds properly, I’ll have restored a switch that cost me $35 back to working order.

Does the Zstick confer any other advantages?

If I had more than the one device that uses OTA, the time and $ would be worth the hassle.

Of course, if Vera brings out another product that supports OTA, that would be great, but six months after the acquisition, I see nothing coming, other than promises.

I’m in the same boat. One of my HS switches has firmware 5.13, and I get false starts semi-regularly. At this point, I’m thinking it’s easier and cheaper for me to just spend ~$50CDN and buy a new switch then it is to spend $30US for the license of the Firmware updater and ~$50CDN for a SmartStick+.

HS sells a Firmware update kit, but they want $75US to ship a Smartstick to Canada.

Frustrating.

I’ll probably just suffer with it for now, and decide if I want to swap it up to a dimmer or get a new switch.

I’m pretty sure that the updater is part of the trial Version of HS3 (which is free).
Then you only need to buy a UZB, not a huge expense but worth it as I find the external radio gives better coveragethan the inbuilt one.

[quote=“zedrally, post:6, topic:200575”]I’m pretty sure that the updater is part of the trial Version of HS3 (which is free).
Then you only need to buy a UZB, not a huge expense but worth it as I find the external radio gives better coveragethan the inbuilt one.[/quote]

That’s worth looking in to. Thanks.

This would work for the OP as well, as long as they are using Windows (updater doesn’t work on Macs).

HS3 allows you to update OTA within the HS3 program and it does have free 30day trial.

The Bulk Updater software (Z-flash software) I sure that it doesn’t have a 30day trial (would be to easy to install use and then uninstall until the next time you needed to update), and it will not come with HS3 trial software. HS3 pro if purchased will come with a serial for that program but the free trail of HS3 will not come with a serial for that software.

The USB z-wave stick doesn’t have to be purchased threw Homeseer no matter which way you go. So you can get one locally without the shipping issue your having going to Canada.

So I think software wise you should be able to use a trial for free with HS3. But the Hardware, if you don’t have a usb stick you will be out 30.00ish. And if your switch cost 30-35.00, and for someone that has only one switch that seems like a waste but you will have extra hardware for future use. And the best part of having a USB z-wave stick and the computer is now you can get rid of vera and run HomeSeer or others that are way faster, more stable and have more features.

On top of that, where do you get The firmware?
I think some vendors like Fibaro does not let you download anything…

[quote=“Domoworking, post:9, topic:200575”]On top of that, where do you get The firmware?
I think some vendors like Fibaro does not let you download anything…[/quote]

Homeseer has them half-way down on their Software page.

A post was split to a new topic: ZWave USB Stick