Honeywell Wifi Thermostats with Vera?

Has anyone gotten any of the Honeywell Wifi thermostats to work with vera? I’m thinking about picking a honeywell up over a nest due to the +/- 3 degree temperature range.

Why not get a Z-wave thermostat for half the cost and endless features threw PLEG or the like?

Whats a good zwave t-stat you are referring to? Also whats PLEG?

[quote=“1tufgt, post:3, topic:181324”]Whats a good zwave t-stat you are referring to? Also whats PLEG?[/quote] There are several different thermostats that are zwave. I personally have a few trane ones that I 85.00 off ebay for. They are made by rcs who also sales them with their logo. I have no complaints about them and dont touch them very much. Not really anything special about a thermostat. Reads temp turns on ac or heat and turns off. I used to have Honeywell touch screens and I had to use them everyday. Now I very rarely use the thermostats anymore as I have vera turn on and off as inside and outside need and whether im home or away. And if vera doesn’t do it automatically I do it remotely from my phone.

Search the forum for thermostat reviews and PLEG.

Also I’m not a big Apple Fan so maybe my thought process is the same on the Nest, but I haven’t found what 250.00 gets me vs. a 100.00 or less Zwave thermostat? I think it looks ok, definitely different and that’s probley it. I personally think its a “Trendy” thing more then a functional one. It’s supposed to be smart, but that’s only relative on how you use it. Vera is much smarter and if you going to attach a NEST to vera then your throwing out anything that NEST can do on its own which is only based on routine.

Like Auto Away… It just looks at what time you normally leave and guesses when to shut down the system. The day you sleep in or have to leave early it’s not accurate. With Vera I use geofence and Ping to tell not only my a/c but alarm and everything else I have left or I’m home (even when I left work to head home). And this happens when I actually leave that day… maybe I’m sick that day Nest don’t know and shuts down a/c at my normal leave time.

Maybe for you when you activate your home alarm in away more turn off or down a/c depending on forecasted weather (free weather underground app in Vera) and current inside temps.

Bottom line it 250.00 thermostates have a few cool features, but if your tying it to a VERA you can integrate it into other more accurate things which means you hardly ever physically touch the thermostat it’s self anymore.

I have installed the Honewell yth8320zw1007 Z-Wave thermostat, and had no problems. $150 bucks gets it on Amazon:
[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EJ7YO2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EJ7YO2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

The ONLY complaint I have with this thermostat is that it does not set the clock from the network. I have to manually adjust the clock once in a while when the clock gets off. My wish list for this unit would be to set the clock via Z-Wave somehow.

Otherwise, it is great. Extremely flexible with my VERAlite. Worth the money.

[quote=“ndsiouxfan, post:6, topic:181324”]I have installed the Honewell yth8320zw1007 Z-Wave thermostat, and had no problems. $150 bucks gets it on Amazon:
[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EJ7YO2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EJ7YO2/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/url]

The ONLY complaint I have with this thermostat is that it does not set the clock from the network. I have to manually adjust the clock once in a while when the clock gets off. My wish list for this unit would be to set the clock via Z-Wave somehow.

Otherwise, it is great. Extremely flexible with my VERAlite. Worth the money.[/quote]

Ok, the ones I’m looking are “wifi” I couldn’t find that zwave you were referring to.

Are you looking to buy from a certain place? He sent you a link of the Z-wave Honeywell above.

http://www.amazon.com/Trane-TZEMT400BB3-Remote-Management-Thermostat/dp/B0052MHPP4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1401985753&sr=8-9&keywords=z+wave+thermostat

These are all z-wave thermostat’s.

Are you looking to buy from a certain place? He sent you a link of the Z-wave Honeywell above.

http://www.amazon.com/Trane-TZEMT400BB3-Remote-Management-Thermostat/dp/B0052MHPP4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1401985753&sr=8-9&keywords=z+wave+thermostat

These are all z-wave thermostat’s.[/quote]

Didn’t notice the links. I was looking to try to get one from Lowes since I have some GC I could use up. Thanks for the compiled list.

These are all z-wave thermostat’s.[/quote]

Didn’t notice the links. I was looking to try to get one from Lowes since I have some GC I could use up. Thanks for the compiled list.[/quote]

The only one Lowes carries that is zwave is made for their iris system (which works fine with micasaverde) it’s made by 2 gig and part number is I think a ct101 for like 100.00

I’m not sure where in the us you are but my local Lowes in Los Angeles County carries them but I know in Arizona stores I been in they I didn’t have any iris stuff.

Have you heard, read or know about Iris from Lowes and it’s components?

Here is your lowes options

Ct101
http://www.lowes.com/pd_388565-69305-CT-101-L_0__?productId=3735317

Or here is the Honeywell

http://www.lowes.com/pd_506274-74493-YTH8320ZW1064_0__?Ntt=yth8320zw1064&UserSearch=yth8320zw1064&productId=4780193&rpp=32

I use the CT101 from Lowes. You just need to install the MIOS Update Utility plugin so that you don’t have 3 thermostats showing but other than that zero problems with it. In fact I am setup just like integlikwhoa with that specific thermostat. It is turned off when both my wife and I leave the home and doesn’t come back on unless we come home or if it gets too hot or too cold that it threatens the pipes in the house. It also switches between heating and cooling depending on the temperature outside and then I have different schedules for the heat and cool set points throughout the day. With this thermostat I have achieve the ability to never touch it again, which is what we all are searching for here on this forum. Every once in awhile I might wake up warm in the middle of the night just because my wife has no internal thermostat control, so I reach over to my phone and lower the set point and then fall back asleep. The Vera then puts it back on schedule the next time a set point changes. With Vera you will have the most luck sticking with native supported devices which in my mind only includes z-wave compatible devices. Some IP stuff works alright, but I wanted to stick to one technology and that is z-wave. Also I purchased all of my door locks and light switches from Lowes (all promoted as IRIS compatible, but if you look closer they almost all say speaks z-wave). Just my two cents!

Couldn’t agree with you more. And I also have all my light switches (GE), outlets(GE) and such from lowes IRIS since they are cheap and easy to get local.

Like Jpete says tho make sure they are Z-wave. Not all Iris products are like the motion, cameras, sprinkler controller and door sensors. IRIS uses both Z-wave and Zigbee devices (two different wireless protocalls) The door locks, thermostats, flood/water leak sensor, all GE switches and outlets have the z-wave logo on them and are a Z-wave product (ask here if your unsure before you buy, but Lowes has a great easy return policy anyways). Any of those will work with VERA just not any of the Zigbee stuff.

But I noticed not all Lowes locations carries Home automation in their stores. My Vacation house in Lake Havasau City, AZ is full of Lowes z-wave products, but they don’t carry them out there. So I bring them out from my Los Angeles, ca residence when I go out. Here even Homedepot has z-wave (altho more expensive then Lowes) and Lowes out there they never heard of IRIS or home automation.

Hi everyone, the reason why I am interested in a WIFI thermostat vs a Zwave one, is that I live in Dubai (868.4mhz) and I just can’t find any reasonable thermostat for emea. So 2 questions

1. Does anyone know any good Z-wave thermostats for EMEA

2. Going back to the original question. Can Vera work with WIFI thermostat like the one at - http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RET97E5D1005-Wi-Fi-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B00EP6C8I2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1402780397&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+thermostat. I see honeywell has a private API so it might be possible.

Thanks!

Like the last poster, I am also interested to know if this thermostat:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RET97E5D1005-Wi-Fi-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B00EP6C8I2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1402780397&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+thermostat
will work with Vera, because I already have installed and I would prefer not having to change it. Thanks!

[quote=“locep, post:15, topic:181324”]Like the last poster, I am also interested to know if this thermostat:
http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-RET97E5D1005-Wi-Fi-Programmable-Thermostat/dp/B00EP6C8I2/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1402780397&sr=8-5&keywords=wifi+thermostat
will work with Vera, because I already have installed and I would prefer not having to change it. Thanks![/quote]
If you are US-based, and you can control your thermostat from www.mytotalcontrolcomfort.com, then JoeyD’s Honeywell plugin will allow you to control the thermostat via Vera. You still will need an external internet connection for that to work, as the plugin relays commands and status through the Honeywell website.

I have the Honeywell Color WiFi thermostat :

It’s not too expensive and it looks good which is why I bought it (it’s in a spa so they don’t need super complicated controls and looks matter). The Honeywell app works well with good schedule setup. One thing I’m not sure about yet. I don’t know if it shows you when the aux. heat turns on. I haven’t tested it but it didn’t say that in the instructions. I just put it in & I’m trying to monitor it during recovery in the mornings.

It shows as disconnected, it seems like when logging in to Vera after time away. It seems to re-attach before long. Not sure about this though, it’s only been in a few days.

The plugin isn’t so great. You can only choose heating or cooling, no auto. This is no big deal (how often are you really changing that?). But when in auto, the ambient temp doesn’t show. It says it’s 0 degrees. It shows at the top of my dashboard but not on the device. The big problem is that when you click the temp buttons up or down it immediately sends the signal so you can’t change it more than one number at a time. Not very useful.

The scene works good too with options for letting me know when the ambient temp gets above or below a certain number, and wheather heat or cool has come on, but again, nothing to let me know if aux. heat is on which seems like a big miss.

Don"t think you will see any changes for the JoeyD app. He hasn’t been on the forum in quite some time. Several people have asked for fixes for the things you mentioned in other posts but, JoeyD isn’t responding. I’m afraid we may have lost him. I even asked MCV if they were going to start supporting Honeywell thermostats internally since Honeywell is listed as one of their partners on their website. Still waiting on a response from that one.

Hello all you Honeywell WiFi Thermostat users. Looks like we may have lost JoeyD. We have two options at this point. Convincing someone with programming experience to take over the app. Not sure if anyone has the skills and is reviewing this particular forum but, we could really use your help if you are. All the others who use the Honeywell WiFi thermostat and know of a programmer who might be willing to assist should reach out and ask for help. Or, we could convince MCV to add direct support from within the Vera. I am not sure how to accomplish this. I don’t think MCV is interested in expanding their direct support unless they see a large user base for a given product. I assume that is why they started doing direct support for the Nest Learning thermostat. It is pretty and it is popular. The last time I had an issue and opened a ticket with support, I suggested they do direct support for Honeywell thermostats in my reply to the support email I received. The tech said they would pass the request onto the development team. Perhaps we could show our numbers by emailing support asking they start direct support. I have seen several comments in these and other forums that Honeywell has an API and should be releasing it soon. This would be the perfect time for someone to pick up on this plugin and convert it to a local connection instead of the current web login via TCC. Anyone else have any suggestions?

you might need a Vera Edge which should be able to pair with Wifi devices, but confirm with Vera Controls support if it supports the Wifi Honeywell.