Hot Tub Automation?

Hello guys,

after researching for quite some time, I decided to post here. The intermatic device PE653RC/PE953 works with Vera 3 (UI5) and Vera Plus (UI7) from what I read in previous posts here. With that said, I would like to automate a Hot Tub and not a pool. Has anybody successfully automated a Hot Tub using Intermatic or any other device? I am not talking about basic power on/off. I am talking about controlling features like valves, lighting, temperature, etc.

Researching the latest Hot Tub manufacturers and even talking to some of them e.g. Marquis, Colo Spas, etc. they don’t certify third party solutions to automate their Spas. Some of them offer WiFi modules which are not useful because they either create their own hot spot and I have to connect to that network to launch their app on my cell phone, or if they are able to join an existing Home WiFi network, they don’t offer any open API to integrate with.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

I was working on hacking something together with a MySensors relay board but I haven’t had the time to work on it in a long time. The biggest thing I wasn’t able to find a solution for was how to safely trigger my 220v pump while still using the mechanical timer my builder installed

can you leave A HOT TUB EMPTY FOR A MONTH WHILE YOUR OUT OF TOWN?

If it’s an above ground hot tub, sure. Just make sure you’ve turned the power off to it or you’ll come home to a burnt out heater / pump…

Are you still looking to accomplish this? I have a 60a/240v contactor that is thrown by 110v on/off. Essentially you wire your hot tub on/off (assuming 240v) in parallel with the switch. Hook up the 110V to throw it via any vera/zwave light switch, and you have control. I use it constantly… even have it hooked up to an Amazon Echo “ALexa turn on the hot tub!” or you can use google schedule plug in via Vera… its pretty slick

[quote=“ericstuberg”]Are you still looking to accomplish this? I have a 60a/240v contactor that is thrown by 110v on/off. Essentially you wire your hot tub on/off (assuming 240v) in parallel with the switch. Hook up the 110V to throw it via any vera/zwave light switch, and you have control. I use it constantly… even have it hooked up to an Amazon Echo “ALexa turn on the hot tub!” or you can use google schedule plug in via Vera… its pretty slick[/quote]Hi @ericstuberg,

I will be getting a hot tub in the near future and I wanted automation control to turn the heat on for the hot tub. Can you go into more detail, so I can show the electrician how they need to wire this for me? Also can you tell me the model of the 110v ON/Off switch as the hot tub will be outside. I live in Canada.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk