House Mode sync problem

I’m having trouble with openluup syncing the house modes. I’ve set the “HouseModeMirror” variable set to “1 : local mirrors remote”.

Now when I set the house mode of Vera to “Away” through the Vera UI, I see the icons in AltUI change to “Away”. But when I go to the openluup “HouseMode” variable, it is still set to the old value. It only changes until I do a luup restart.

Can you help me figure this out? I ran a workflow that triggered on this variable, but this was the reason it doesn’t work.

BTW. I have disabled all workflows/scenes in openluup that could interfere with the house modes.

Well spotted! Whilst the VeraBridge HouseMode variable generated a trigger on a remote mode change, the openLuup one did not. It does now!

Update to the latest development version (18.2.5) in the usual way from the Plugins page by typing development into the openLuup box and clicking the update button to the right of that (not the checkbox!)

Many thanks. Let me know that it works for you (or doesn’t, but I think it should.)

[quote=“akbooer, post:2, topic:198512”]Well spotted! Whilst the VeraBridge HouseMode variable generated a trigger on a remote mode change, the openLuup one did not. It does now!

Update to the latest development version (18.2.5) in the usual way from the Plugins page by typing development into the openLuup box and clicking the update button to the right of that (not the checkbox!)

Many thanks. Let me know that it works for you (or doesn’t, but I think it should.)[/quote]

O, I will not swear. I’ve done like you said, but now it keeps giving me the error message “Controller does not respond”.

I’ve done a reboot of the VM, but that didn’t resolve it. How do I repair this?

Well, I’ve tested it on a RPi by updating the whole system and that’s not given me any such problem.

Where do you see this error? It’s not in the log you attached.

You are right. It was something with my browser, very strange. But it all seems to work now. Thanks for the fix!

OK, that’s good. You do have to wait for the system to download the update and reload. This can take 20 seconds or so, but the system should still be responsive in that time. If you switch to the devices page you can actually see a download progress display on the AltAppStore plugin.

I recommend you update to the (even newer) development version once again - there appears to have been a bit of a glitch with GitHub updating (or not) the timer module. My fault somehow, I’m sure, but I just want to make sure that there’s no impact on your running system. Sorry.

Thanks, I?ve updated again. No problems so far.

I?ve now got strange behavior, akbooer. The house mode in AltUI doesn?t switch to Home. The variable is also not set. And I?ve got a scene that syncs the mode to vera, but when I enable that it gets into a loop somehow.

Can you test it too at your end?

Well, I have tested it again, and for me it seems to work.

[ul][li]I have openLuup running VeraBridge linked to a Vera Edge. [/li]
[li]The bridge variable HouseModeMirror shows ‘1 : local mirrors remote’[/li]
[li]I have a scene set to trigger on changes in the openLuup plugin HouseMode variable[/li]
[li]I change mode on the Vera[/li]
[li] The following happens in the openLuup log…[/li][/ul]

2018-02-05 21:25:46.878   luup.variable_set:378: 378.urn:akbooer-com:serviceId:VeraBridge1.HouseMode was: 3 now: 1 #hooks:0
2018-02-05 21:25:46.878   luup.call_action:378: 0.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1.SetHouseMode 
2018-02-05 21:25:46.878   luup.variable_set:0: 2.openLuup.HouseMode was: 3 now: 1 #hooks:1
2018-02-05 21:25:47.380   luup.watch_callback:: 2.openLuup.HouseMode function: 0x007a1208
2018-02-05 21:25:47.381   luup.call_action:3: 0.urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HomeAutomationGateway1.RunScene 
2018-02-05 21:25:47.381   luup_log:0: House Mode Test Scene: Mode now 1
2018-02-05 21:25:47.381   luup.scenes:: scene 17, House Mode Test, initiated by command

…showing, line by line, that:

[ol][li]VeraBridge (device 378) sets its own HouseMode device variable (to Home)
[/li][li]VeraBridge runs an action to change the local house mode[/li]
[li]that action also changes the openLuup plugin HouseMode variable[/li]
[li]the scene trigger watching that variable is invoked by AltUI (device 3)[/li]
[li]that trigger runs the scene[/li]
[li]the scene writes line to the log describing the new mode[/li]
[li]the scene completes.[/li][/ol]

This is what I would expect. What bothers me is your statement:

And I've got a scene that syncs the mode to vera, but when I enable that it gets into a loop somehow.

What is that doing, and why? The bridge has done all the work as above. It seems you may have set up a race condition through that scene?

Note that once you’ve selected the mirror mode ‘1 : local mirrors remote’, then any changes to the local openLuup house mode will quickly get overwritten by the VeraBridge syncing it to the remote Vera.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your logic, but logs of the relevant bits and scene code would help if possible.

Ok, so maybe it’s not a bug but a feature then. In the end I want to be able to synchronize two ways, I want to be able to set the house mode on Vera and on OpenLuup. That’s because I can’t migrate some PLEG functionality to a workflow in AltUI, but that’s a different story.

When I set the house mode on Vera, everything works fine. But setting the house mode in AltUI doesn’t work. Is that because it immediately synchronizes with Vera, that overwrites my change? I also see in the logging that it immediately is put back to home.

It didn’t work this way before, so that’s why I made a scene to synchronize my change in AltUI to Vera.

Yes, I have read that. But now I finally understand it :slight_smile: In the previous version I didn’t have any problem with the scene somehow.

Thanks for your help, I think I’m going to try to get some help with the workflow again to migrate the functionality to AltUI/Openluup.

BTW How do you cope with the two way synchronization then? I would like to set the house modes through AltUI, but I also want geofencing of Vera to work. The geofencing wil not synchronize to AltUI, when AltUI/OpenLuup is in the lead.

Ah, I need to look at re-wording this then!

I think I'm going to try to get some help with the workflow again to migrate the functionality to AltUI/Openluup.

@amg0 is your man there.

I don’t. openLuup (and the iOS HomeWave app) are my windows into my HA. Veras (three of them) are simply Z-wave / HTML bridges with almost no logic running on them. I never change their house modes (except to test things like I did above.)

Not sure what your geofencing issue might be, though. Good luck anyway!

Is there really no fix or workaround for two-way synchronisation? I bet more people are having trouble with this. This is very desirable!

I can’t use geofencing of Vera anymore when OpenLuup is in the lead for the house modes. And when Vera is in the lead, then I can’t set modes in AltUI. This is killing me…

[quote=“RHCPNG, post:16, topic:198512”]Is there really no fix or workaround for two-way synchronisation? I bet more people are having trouble with this. This is very desirable!

I can’t use geofencing of Vera anymore when OpenLuup is in the lead for the house modes. And when Vera is in the lead, then I can’t set modes in AltUI. This is killing me…[/quote]

Unless… you install AltUI on the vera… depending on what devices you use, if I may suggest, you might want to find an alternative to the vera Geofencing. For iOS I use the iphone locator on Openluup. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Android. Otherwise why would you want to change house mode on Openluup instead of the vera? Mine is automated that I never have to manually change house mode at all.

[quote=“rafale77, post:17, topic:198512”][quote=“RHCPNG, post:16, topic:198512”]Is there really no fix or workaround for two-way synchronisation? I bet more people are having trouble with this. This is very desirable!

I can’t use geofencing of Vera anymore when OpenLuup is in the lead for the house modes. And when Vera is in the lead, then I can’t set modes in AltUI. This is killing me…[/quote]

Unless… you install AltUI on the vera… depending on what devices you use, if I may suggest, you might want to find an alternative to the vera Geofencing. For iOS I use the iphone locator on Openluup. I don’t think there is an equivalent for Android. Otherwise why would you want to change house mode on Openluup instead of the vera? Mine is automated that I never have to manually change house mode at all.[/quote]

Good point. I mainly use the manual house modes for night/home. I could use NFC or a button to set it to night/home. What do you use for this?

I use Android, so Iphone locator is not an option. I could try Vera Proximity. But I think that should also be installed on Vera. I will take a look at it.

And no, I don’t want to install AltUI on Vera. I want to migrate as much logic to OpenLuup as possible.

You’re aware of all the openLuup tools to help you do this? In particular:

[ul][li]bridging to Vera scenes[/li]
[li]temporary copying of scenes with renumbering of device action to openLuup devices[/li]
[li]the ability to mirror openLuup device variables to any Vera device/serviceId/variable[/li][/ul]

Some or all of these should help in your quest.

You’re aware of all the openLuup tools to help you do this? In particular:

[ul][li]bridging to Vera scenes[/li]
[li]temporary copying of scenes with renumbering of device action to openLuup devices[/li]
[li]the ability to mirror openLuup device variables to any Vera device/serviceId/variable[/li][/ul]

Yes, thanks. I’m investigating them thoroughly :wink:

However I can’t yet think of a purpose for the mirroring of variables. Can you give an example of how you can use that?
Some or all of these should help in your quest.[/quote]