How to detect a power outage ?

Is it possible to detect a power outage at home ?

Of course I need a backup power source for Vera, Modem ISP provider, and may be other devices…

Any idea ?

Thanks.

[quote=“karlharv, post:1, topic:183654”]Is it possible to detect a power outage at home ?

Of course I need a backup power source for Vera, Modem ISP provider, and may be other devices…

Any idea ?

Thanks.[/quote]

I’ve got a 110V relay and a EcoLink door/window sensor (same as the Schlage). I’ll connect the relay coil to the mains supply and the normally open contacts to the alternate switch connector on the sensor. When power calls the relay well drop closing the sensor and signaling Vera. A PLEG input will process the sensor and send an SMS to my phone

There is a few threads on here. Some backup power strips have USB output for this. Others have used a phone charger or the like (high voltage to low voltage adaptor) to power a relay and attached that to a battery door/window sensor. When the outlet power goes out the relay opens circuit and trips that door window sensor.

And old phone charger, automotive 12v 4 or 5 pin relay and wireless z-wave senor are what is needed.

Do a search your not the first.

I used the ping sensor, a networked printer, and a UPS protecting the Vera Lite and the home router to accomplish this as explained here: http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,1997.msg98105.html#msg98105

I just built one and put it into a project box. I used a USB cable to a 5volt relay, I used an eco door sensor and used the external connections to the NO side of the relay. I wanted to use a 2 gig dw10-345 but their external connection is loop1 and Vera only recognizes the wireless loop2. All part are on Amazon.

I then created 2 scenes. One for a power outage (Sensor open) and one for the power back on (Sensor closed)

Reply back if you want more info.