How to set a condition to action at Sunset only

Hi There,
Probably a silly question but how would one set a condition to trigger a reactor only once at the moment of sunset?

Sunrise/Sunset between Sunset And Sunset + 1Minute?

Isn?t that value just to offset the sunset or sun rise time I.e above would trigger the reactor from 1min past normal sunset Time > until sunrise and would not reset ready to be triggered by another group of conditions during that period?

Isn?t that value just to offset the sunset or sun rise time I.e above would trigger the reactor from 1min past normal sunset Time > until sunrise and would not reset ready to be triggered by another group of conditions during that period?[/quote]

I read it as Between sunset and sunset +1 minute. So not at the instant but narrowed to a 60 second period.

C

My logic was that it would be true at sunset and one minute later it would be false, no?
Minute seems to be the smallest resolution

This has the ring of an X-Y problem, so I’d like to understand what you are trying to accomplish in general instead of focusing on one step that you think you might need.

But keep in mind, when conditions are met, the trip action happens only once, so it’s already the case that if, for example, you set a condition for “after sunset,” it will fire once at sunset, remain tripped without additional firing of actions until midnight, and then reset. Notice that’s midnight, not sunrise–if you want the condition true between sunset and sunrise, you need to use a “between” condition with those two times.

Now, if combined with another condition in the same group, you start to get the combined effect of the conditions. Let’s say you add a condition that is true when a light switch is turned on. Then, the group will not go true and trip the ReactorSensor until both conditions are true, which has the effect that the ReactorSensor will then only trip when the switch is turned on between sunset and midnight (the only times that both conditions can be true). If the switch is turned off and on in succession, the ReactorSensor will also trip in succession, because each time the switch is turned off, the condition group beceomes false and ReactorSensor untrips as a result, resetting it.

But, let’s hear (read) about what you’re trying to get done. Then we’ll know how to find a solution.

Two goals
1st turn on light at the time of sunset for a short period (1min perhaps) then turn off
2nd turn on light between sunset and sunrise when motion sensor is in tripped state and delay off action for 5mins

The above are not traditional light they are actually large white plastic spheres that are solar charged (internal) and turn on when there is activity near and at low light for bling and a bit of security as well. So at low light (sunset) they will turn on and remain on if they are not turned off which the battery can not sustain for long so at sunset I would like to manually perform the action for on/off, I could use another reactor but was hoping to achieve with the single reactor

Off topic, but what are these magical lights you speak of?

Off topic, but what are these magical lights you speak of?[/quote]
These 40cm
Check out this product on Alibaba App new novelty LED Clear and full color beach ball light / LED Illuminated ball light https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl?link=https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId%3D60135125133%26type%3Dproduct%26schema%3Denalibaba%253A%252F%252Fdetail%253Fid%253D60135125133%2526ck%253Dshare_detail%26ck%3Dshare_detail%26shareScene%3Dbuyer&apn=com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon&ibi=com.alibaba.sourcing&isi=503451073&amv=69

Off topic, but what are these magical lights you speak of?[/quote]
These 40cm
Check out this product on Alibaba App new novelty LED Clear and full color beach ball light / LED Illuminated ball light https://f2rq3.app.goo.gl?link=https://app.alibaba.com/dynamiclink?touchId%3D60135125133%26type%3Dproduct%26schema%3Denalibaba%253A%252F%252Fdetail%253Fid%253D60135125133%2526ck%253Dshare_detail%26ck%3Dshare_detail%26shareScene%3Dbuyer&apn=com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon&ibi=com.alibaba.sourcing&isi=503451073&amv=69

Don’t think that link will work as it appears to be from the mobile app.

Forgive me, though, haven’t you described two really simple scenes?

1. Turns the lights on at sunset then a delayed action one minute later to turn the off.
  2. Triggered by motion sensor: Immediately lights on. Delayed action: 5 minutes lights off?

I assume I’m missing something.

C

Do you mean two seperate reactors ? Or is this achievable in 1x reactor?

[quote=“Catman, post:11, topic:200563”]Don’t think that link will work as it appears to be from the mobile app.

Forgive me, though, haven’t you described two really simple scenes?

1. Turns the lights on at sunset then a delayed action one minute later to turn the off.
  2. Triggered by motion sensor: Immediately lights on. Delayed action: 5 minutes lights off?

I assume I’m missing something.

C[/quote]

This is a sensible approach.

It’s really two different jobs that happen to control the same light, so at the moment, splitting the jobs to two ReactorSensors is the way to go. Future versions of Reactor will likely be able to perform different actions for different condition groups.

No I really meant two separate scenes. I can’t (at this point) see why you’d need reactor at all…

Like I said I’m probably missing something!

C

Thanks for the information. I am slowly transitioning everything I find that is not reliable to reactor, as soon as something fails or doesn?t action when it should I look to moving it too reactor and this has greatly stabilised my system. As reactor becomes more mature and feature rich less and less individual reactors are required to perform multiple tasks making it even more efficient, hence this thread checking if I was missing something and do the described requirements in a single reactor or not.
Also and correct me if I am wrong, using the sunset in conditions there is not a trigger just for the time of sunset or sunrise e.g trip at the time of sunset then immediately untrip or delay xyz value and untrip and same with sunrise?
Thanks for everyone?s input

Patrick, that would absolutely be awesome!! I’m having to create multiple reactors for the same set of lights as I’m not clever enough to do it any other way. For example, a reactor to dim lights to 15% when in night mode and motion detected, a new reactor to set lights to 100% at sunset, a new reactor to dim to 50% when the kids are in bed and the wife and I are watching TV, then a new reactor to turn off when we go to bed. It would be so good if this could all be done in 1x reactor by having differing actions for different condition groups.

Your condition is for “before sunset” as written. If you want it trigger at sunset, you should use “after sunset”. The condition will go true at sunset, and whatever actions you direct the RS to take in Activities will run at that instant.

The condition will remain true and the sensor tripped until midnight, when it will automatically reset. The activities do not fire continuously during this time. Action only happens at state changes.

Hi Patrick,
Enjoyed your videos and looking to solve a WAF factor in how I currently have a scene setup for sunset in Vera. I have a scene that turns on some lights around the house at sunset. The issue is if we are home and already have lights set, it overrides them when it runs the scene.
I have created this reactor to kick off the vera scene and once I get it to work, I can remove the vera timer.

I have the logic for checking if any lights are on and passing sunset, how do I keep it from re-running every time I turn the lights out between sunset and midnight?

Thanks,
Roger

Got it to work by using 2 conditions both after sunset separated by a minute and the XOR logic.

Good work. You could also create a third group that sequences the two groups: sunset after All lights off.