How to upgrade to new Linux Firmware on Vera Edge

Prerequisites

In order to upgrade to new linux firmware current firmware version on your Vera Edge should be 1.7.4452 or newer.

Ensure you have latest firmware on your Vera Edge

1. Login to your Vera Edge using the portal page or by its local IP, if you know it
  2. Go to Setup > Firmware
  3. Wait while controller checks if there is a newer firmware version available
  4. If there is newer version of software available, click Upgrade button to start the upgrade process
  5. On next page you can optionally click Save Backup button to save a copy of the controller configuration to your local PC’s hard drive in case there is a problem during upgrade.
  6. Next, click Start Upgrade button to upgrade firmware

Upgrade to new linux firmware

1. Login to your Vera Edge using the portal page https://home.getvera.com/ or by its local IP, if you know it
  2. Go to Setup > Firmware
  3. Wait while controller checks if there is a newer firmware version available

1. Ensure you are running the latest version ( 1.7.4452 or newer)
  2. In Advanced section specify following URL for custom Vera firmware : http://dl.mios.com/linux_firmware/bundle/g150/v2/latest/Vera4Lite_me_upgrade-1.7.4452.squashfs
  3. Click Download button
  4. Wait while downloading firmware image …

1. On next page you can optionally:
    a. Click Save Backup button to save a copy of the controller configuration to your local PC’s hard drive in case there is a problem during upgrade.
    b. (Recommended) Insert a flash drive to controllers USB port to make full controller’s backup (Flash drive should have partition formatted to vFAT or FAT32 and have at least 128Mb free space).
    This flash drive may be used later in case of downgrading to original firmware to simply restore original controller state.
  2. Click Start Upgrade button to upgrade firmware

1. Wait about 6 minutes while controller upgrades firmware
  2. When upgrade is finished, controller should have Power , Z-Wave and Service leds ON
  3. You can now connect to your controller using mobile application

Troubleshooting

Diagnostic information

Note: Applicable for firmware version 1.0.8 or newer.

If there are any problems with new Vera Edge firmware you may collect and send us diagnostic information that will help to find the cause of the problem and fix problem much faster.

To get diagnostic information:

1. Insert a flash drive to controllers USB port (Flash drive should have partition formatted to vFAT or FAT32 and have some free space, diagnostic information usually will be around few Mb size).
  2. Short press reset button.
  3. Wait until Power led stops blinking
  4. Eject flash drive

You should have archive with name diagnostics-<DATE_TIME>.bin , where DATE_TIME is date and time when diagnostic information was collected. Please attach this archive to your support request.

Downgrade to original firmware

If controller can not complete upgrade to new linux firmware ( Service led is slowly blinking for a long time) it is possible to downgrade to original firmware:

1. If you have created full backup to USB flash stick, insert it to USB port of controller.
  2. Press and hold the reset button for over 10 seconds
  3. Wait for downgrade to complete
5 Likes

@Ioana, am I to understand that once the Linux firmware has been installed that we lose local network connectivity – including access through GetVera (as shown), which shows “Offline” – and can only access the updated controller via Vera Mobile app?

That appears to be the [somewhat unexpected!] case here, but just wanted to make sure.

• Libra

The new Linux firmware doesn’t yet have a Web interface–only the mobile app.

1 Like

Good to know, even after-the-fact, cuz I was initially very scared by the Edge disappearing from my browser and being reported as “Disconnected” (why??) on the Login page.

Made me worry that I may have bricked the unit during the upgrade, lol. :wink:

They need to change the message to “Controllable via app only”. They did something like this for the Atom, which als has no web UI.

1 Like

I further suppose that great care must be taken when moving a Linux’d Edge to another network, that you either (a) make sure its WiFi is preconfigured for the new destination, or (b) you’re able to connect it via wired Ethernet, (c) pray that it registers itself with GetVera; and/or (d) somehow figure out its local IP!!

Barring any of those things, without direct Web access, such a move could become a real exercise in frustration!

Indeed. This design progressions and testing strategy made me wonder whether I had become too old and I failed to understand what ezlo is trying to get us to test or if they are heading into a hard brick wall building the whole thing upside down. The future will tell but for now I really have no idea where this is going. I really hope it is the former and that this whole thing will workout but in the meantime, the lack of migration path makes the ROI beyond questionable for me. Still waiting for the fully localize, mobile app free/cloud free control so I have something to test. In the meantime, my atom is nothing more than USB night light.

1 Like

If we want to switch back to the Vera FW, how do we do this? I tried putting my backup file and the 7.31 FW on a USB stick, factory reset my Edge and 10 mins later it came back up with the Linux FW still installed.

I have same problem… Can’t downgrade to Vera.

log a support ticket and they’ll give you the recovery file and app.

1 Like

I upgraded to the “new Linux Firmware” on my VeraEdge using the instructions on this page. The upgrade completed successfully it seems since the Power, Z-Wave, and Services lights are on (note the Internet light is not on). I understand I can’t connect via my browser, but rather only on the mobile app (IOS). I can ping the Vera units IP address. It appears that I do indeed logon to the VeraEdge with my iPhone; however, it shows no devices, no scenes, no nothing. Is there something I still need to do to get my configuration back? (I made a backup, but the moblie app has no “restore” option.)

There is no migration path between old and new firmware (yet). You can’t restore a backup from the old to the new. Upgrading to new firmware means starting from scratch.

Hi @Ioana
I’m interested to test NEw EZLO FW Linux on Vera Edge.
I’ve downloaded the last version on my old “Homelive” wich is similar to Vera Edge but I can’t see this controlller in my Vera Mobile account to initialise it

II’ve try to register for this beta test via Subject: Beta Cloud - Ezlo VOI and Local access but I don’t know if it is possible yet

**Please could you help me ; my old Homelive/vera Edge is S/N xxxxxxxx **

Many thanks for your help

Best regards, sending a lot of our Corsican Sun

I’ve download last version 1.0.1000.4 on my “old Homelive”

Will this work on a Vera Plus (it has bigger hardware)

My understanding is that this beta test firmware is for the Edge only.

That is too bad - I have been using Vera products for many years and I cant seem to get an understanding of where this is all going!
I guess I will have to just hope that they dont completely abandon the current product line.

1 Like

I think the plan is to test on the Edge, then build a version for the Plus.

My vera edge is offline after upgrading while its Service LED is blinking slowly.

I downgraded it and upgraded several times but didn’t help

Hello! @Alireza44907

We will assist you with the upgrade process to the new Linux firmware for your Vera Edge controller. Please, send us a message to support@ezlo.com with the Serial Number of your controller and the remote access enabled.

You can follow this quick guide to enable remote access. What Is Remote Access And How Do I Enable It?