Hunter Douglas Platinum Bridge App

Version 1.3 released. If fixes a bug which can occur if the bridge reboots unexpectedly.

I’m curious to hear if anyone has had luck using Vera with the Powerview hub. It seems as though Powerview uses a JSON API: Hunter Douglas Powerview Control with ISY - Network Resources - Universal Devices Forum

I have Vera and Echo working with PowerView. Thread here which includes a video.

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,35547.msg262550.html#msg262550

It’s as simple as issuing a URL from some luua code to talk to the PowerView hub.

I’m attaching a nice comparison between PowerRise and PowerView.

I have a quote from our local shades place for some nice Alta hybrid pleated shades. They use the RemoteLift 2.0 technology which is commonly found in many other brands (like Home Depot) as a generic automation protocol. It appears to be close to the same as the older HunterDouglas PowerRise (Platinum) technology because they use the same frequency (2.4 GHz) and exact same style of handheld remote.

Does anyone know if RemoteLift is truly compatible with the HunterDouglas PowerRise 2.0 or 2.1 technology? I have spoken to the Alta tech support folks and all I got was “we don’t know. You could always buy a Hunter Douglas wall switch and just try it out”. If it were compatible, it would open up the use of the Platinum Bridge App to many more sets of off-brand blinds.

Interesting.

Looking at a RemoteLift remote control user manual such as [url=http://www.cbgcommercial.com/images/cbg/public/contentdownloads/Honeycomb_Shades/Installation_Instructions/Honeycomb%20RemoteLift%20Control%20-4451.pdf]Custom Brands Group | Custom Window Covering Products it looks awfully like the Platinum remote both style-wise as well as feature-wise, and I would expect them to be compatible, although there are no guarantees.

Gengen

Hi I just bought 11k worth of hunter blinds and looking for a way to control them through zwave. Do you know if your driver works with the new PowerView system?

My platinum bridge app will almost certainly not work with the PowerView system. It will probably work with the ProLift 2 system. I wrote the plug-in for my own home but made it as general as possible for the hardware at hand so it would be useful to a large set of Platinum owners. I had no idea that Hunter Douglas would completely replace their automation system a few months later.

To be accurate, these shades do not use Z-Wave directly. Thats why you need a bridge to translate Ethernet to the proprietary wireless protocol.

Gengen

That’s correct they do have a HUB that can be interfaced to by IP or RS232 for the PowerView. What would you charge to write an interface?

I just installed this on my UI5 and it is working great so far! Thank you!

Question: Any chance this can support “top down bottom up” shades which in the Platinum Bridge mobile app a single shade actually has 2 controls which allows you to control from the top or from the bottom?

Actually, the top-down Bottom up shades only have one motor. in this regard, the manual shades are more flexible. Top down bottom up are implemented as 0% is fully open down, 50% is fully closed and 100% is fully open up.

Gengen

Thanks gengen.

With top down bottom up shades, the question comes down to: When it is set to “50% close”, are we closing the “bottom 50%” or the “top 50%”?

Currently, it will close the “top 50%” (just like a normal shade), but for privacy reasons, I purchased the top down bottom up shades so it can close the “bottom 50%” while sunlight can still come through via the top 50%.

Hope this clarifies my use case. This plugin is great for all my other shades nonetheless.

@jeff3lo,

Please verify that you can fully control your shades from the Android/IOS Platinum App. If you cannot get the same settings from the plug-in, then please do the following:

1. Make a backup and edit L_PlatinumShade.lua to un-comment-out the line int “function log(msg)” near the beginning. (simply remove the – before luup.log) and push the edited version to Vera. Restart LuaUPnP.
  2. Get log output from LuaUPnP.log. If you are not familiar with how to do this, there are several reverences in this forum. If you are using the Info Viewer plug-iin, you may want to set the filter to “Platinum”. I’m not interested in anything else
  3. From your IOS/Android app, please manipulate the shade to all of the positions that you are interested in. Keep track of the exact time that you did each step.
  4. Do the same from the plug-in.
    (Note, you don’t need to do this from any of your handheld or wall remotes. The plug-in can see anything you did from the phone app but not from a remote.)
  5. Edit the log file, adding comments describing what you were trying to do at each step. Time-Stamps can be quite helpful here.
  6. push the original version of L_PlatinumShade.lua back to your Vera and restart LuaUPnP.
  7. Send me the annotated log.

Gengen

Gengen

[quote=“holger_40, post:25, topic:187439”]I have a quote from our local shades place for some nice Alta hybrid pleated shades. They use the RemoteLift 2.0 technology which is commonly found in many other brands (like Home Depot) as a generic automation protocol. It appears to be close to the same as the older HunterDouglas PowerRise (Platinum) technology because they use the same frequency (2.4 GHz) and exact same style of handheld remote.

Does anyone know if RemoteLift is truly compatible with the HunterDouglas PowerRise 2.0 or 2.1 technology? I have spoken to the Alta tech support folks and all I got was “we don’t know. You could always buy a Hunter Douglas wall switch and just try it out”. If it were compatible, it would open up the use of the Platinum Bridge App to many more sets of off-brand blinds.[/quote]

did anyone ever find out if this was compatible. I am looking for a way to intergrate this “remotelift2.0” into my automation system, and the Hunter Douglas PowerRise may be the way to do it.

Yes, I can confirm that my shades using the RemoteLift2.0 technology was compatible with PowerRise. I am using the RemoteLift remotes that came with the shades, but they look exactly like the PowerRise remotes. I purchased a HD wall mount remote and it can control the shades too. And to boot, this past summer the shades company sent me a bridge controller that was stamped “Momenta” but apparently functions like the PowerRise (the box it came in had powerrise stamped on it), and they had a Momenta phone app that controls it as well. Gengen’s Platinum Shade app flawlessly located the shades after I had set them up using the Momenta app, and Vera now controls them without a hitch.

Thanks to Gengen for a great plug-in. My guess is that Hunter Douglas sold or leased their PowerRise technology to be rebranded now that they have introduced PowerView. It is not obsolete if you don’t need the position reported back to Vera.

@holger_40, Thanks for confirming what we suspected. I’m glad that there is continued life in the Platinum Shade controller.

Yes, I can confirm that my shades using the RemoteLift2.0 technology was compatible with PowerRise. I am using the RemoteLift remotes that came with the shades, but they look exactly like the PowerRise remotes. I purchased a HD wall mount remote and it can control the shades too. And to boot, this past summer the shades company sent me a bridge controller that was stamped “Momenta” but apparently functions like the PowerRise (the box it came in had powerrise stamped on it), and they had a Momenta phone app that controls it as well. Gengen’s Platinum Shade app flawlessly located the shades after I had set them up using the Momenta app, and Vera now controls them without a hitch.

Thanks to Gengen for a great plug-in. My guess is that Hunter Douglas sold or leased their PowerRise technology to be rebranded now that they have introduced PowerView. It is not obsolete if you don’t need the position reported back to Vera.[/quote]

Mildly confused here: “don’t need position reported back to Vera”? You have to query/poll the HD Platinum Bridge to get status, but you can get status. Do these RemoteLift 2.0 blinds require a different bridge with a different stack that doesn’t support query/poll? Or are we referring to PowerView providing some sort of push notification on change that wasn’t present in PowerRise?

–Richard

That’s right, they do present a status, but apparently it is not pushed from the bridge. I’m not the programmer so I can’t be certain, but because my blind status will get out of synch with the actual position if I am using a handheld or wall controller, then I’ve assumed status is not pushed back.

Great Info, I just got the new Hunter-Douglas Bridge kit PowerView, Ive tried your telnet via port 522, no connection made. Do you know if the port number has changed on Powerview? PS. I can find the bridge via arp -a, and ping its IP, so I know its on my network. Wayne

Hi @gengen, sorry for side-tracking on this thread, I have a need to do something similar to what you did here, except in php. I created a tcp socket client, I could connect to my Platinum Bridge over port 522 just fine. But I could not seem to send any command there (like run a scene with “$inm00;-”). (When I manually run these commands in a Raspberry Pi, it works.)

I am just wondering when you implemented in luup, any lessons learned or tricks you may share with me please?

Thank you.