Ideas about how to Migrate Vera FW to Ezlo FW

I’d also like to see a proper system for submitting bug reports with tracking and for submitting new feature requests.

Things get buried and lost in the forum threads.

5 Likes

A big move between different architectures means a fresh start for me, but I can understand why others with lots of logic and plugins wouldn’t want to deal with that if possible (this is why I use homeassistant for all that stuff).
It’s cool that you’re attempting it, but please don’t compromise the new firmware to make the old janky mess fit

2 Likes

It’s for that exact reason that I (personally) wouldn’t even attempt to migrate from Vera to ezlo firmware at my place.

For me, Zwave network migration is a blocker. I’m ok with doing scripts from scratch, but I can’t migrate more than 70 devices because many of them are inside appliance or hidden somewhere behind furnitures, etc.
I truly hope we can join a network as secondary and then promote to primary controller, at least. Ideal path will be a backup from Vera and restore of devices into eZlo.

I’m in the same boat. More than 70+ devices and some in some places where I hardly can get hold of without a lot of effort (not ideal, but during installation in a house from 1880-ish, there was no other way). There are also devices I can not get to without having an electrician on hand (building regulations here in Norway).

Doing a completely new installation of all my devices will be a very big job and expensive so a network migration is a showstopper for me too. If that will not be possible its quite a lot cheaper for me to switch to a controller which will let me do so.

Though; I am happy to re-include a handful of devices and recreate all my scenes on a new controller.

Just got the email advertising the new Ezlo Plus and Secure. First place I ventured after looking at the Ezlo product was here. Does this mean there’s no migration path for simple upgrades from Vera MiOS to EzloOS?

Not possible at the moment. This is work in progress.

That’s a show stopper for me. I have some custom devices and plugins running, like Pool Control for Jandy through Autelis, Reactor, Harmony Hub, Emby, Garage Control and Rachio to name a few. Do you have a catalog of available plugins and compatible devices? No need to drop $200 to bork a running system with a new one.

2 Likes

It would seem to me the best place to start would be device migration. I would assume all of the information required, wrt devices, for the new system would be available on the old system. Is it not possible to create an app that translates backup file data to an importable (to Ezlo) device file?

1 Like

I agree, that is why we are building it so that you current Vera can co-operate with New Ezlo under one account. We don’t have any plans to drop support for old Vera in the short or medium term.

But why buy new hardware if what I have already works?

1 Like

you don’t need to.

I would upgrade from Vera Plus to Ezlo Plus as it opens up new possibilities but an absolute precondition is that it can inherit (take over) all my devices. If I would have to go around excluding and (re-)including those all through my house that makes it a non-starter (looks like I’m not alone in that opinion). I would not mind having to redo (part of) the logic - perhaps because not all of the old plugin apps are available - as that also allows me to leverage new capabilities. I hope to see good news on this front in the next couple of months.

2 Likes

I am however in the unique position where we just sold our house and instead of being on call support for the HA, I pulled all but the window sensors out of the house. I will be starting anew for the most part where I move, which is still unknown, but some of these things need to be repeatable in the new OS and it seems that the plugin library and development will be in a state of infancy which is not good. Tell me it isn’t so and maybe I’ll jump. Is there a plugin library available to browse yet?

1 Like

soon, we will be creating a very capable framework for Plugins, which I hope will create a move to create lots of plugins.

5 Likes

Without some soft of migration path (apps, devices, etc), I wouldn’t touch this. If I only had 4 or 5 devices, sure. But I have too many devices, interacting with plugins and Reactor logic to even attempt. I like the thought of more of it being on premise and not in the cloud, and it being faster, but without some sort of migration assistant, it’s a show stopper.

1 Like

one of the emails said the UI is mobile app only. This seems painful for working through complex sceanrios, scenes, etc.

We are working on a web version for Scene creation. I don’t have the likely delivery time yet.

1 Like

We need a full Web GUI like Vera UI7 in functionality not in looks though.

Many additional things we can configure in the current Web GUI that isn’t possible in the Vera mobile app.

So more than just scene creation.

:blush:

3 Likes

Totally agree. Without full Web GUI on a PC browser an Ezlo controller would be a huge downgrade from Vera rather than a welcome upgrade.

1 Like

Yep, its in works!

4 Likes