Internet Modem Auto Reboot if network loss

I am trying to set up a home automation system to monitor and control a few things. I installed DSL recently, and within the first 12 hours it went offline. The first thing they tell you is turn your modem off then on to see if it clears up. That’s fine if you are there, but if it’s a remote location it complicates things. I am looking for a way to use my Vera Edge to ping a few IP addresses and if it loses network connection to turn a switch off that would be powering the DSL Modem. If I can get that then I imagine a trigger to turn it back on with a delay could be written. Anyway, does anyone have this problem already solved so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel? I am looking at a switch on Amazon that seems to do that, but if I can download an app on the Vera Edge or use a trigger I would prefer that.
There may be other switches out there, and this one has no reviews but I’m wanting to solve this.

Any feedback on this for OP or anyone else? ;D

I had the same issues.

I simply used a zwave wallplug for the modem.
ping sensor app for my vera
a trigger and a schedule, the trigger on the ping sensor , when 8.8.8.8 can not be pinged for so many times , to switch the wallplug off and 10 seconds later on agan.

also in the scene the switch the wallplug om every hour … just in case the after 10 seconds on didn’t get trhough.

that works quite well now for over a year.

Cor

[quote=“Jim2112, post:1, topic:189037”]I am trying to set up a home automation system to monitor and control a few things. I installed DSL recently, and within the first 12 hours it went offline. The first thing they tell you is turn your modem off then on to see if it clears up. That’s fine if you are there, but if it’s a remote location it complicates things. I am looking for a way to use my Vera Edge to ping a few IP addresses and if it loses network connection to turn a switch off that would be powering the DSL Modem. If I can get that then I imagine a trigger to turn it back on with a delay could be written. Anyway, does anyone have this problem already solved so I don’t have to reinvent the wheel? I am looking at a switch on Amazon that seems to do that, but if I can download an app on the Vera Edge or use a trigger I would prefer that.
There may be other switches out there, and this one has no reviews but I’m wanting to solve this.

That is a nice product. pricy but nice

Can’t you just setup a scheduled scene (e.g. daily or hourly) that switches a wall plug (e.g. Fibaro wall plug) off and then with a delay of 5 seconds puts the power back on again?

Or if you really need to ping, use this plugin / device in the scene:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/Ping_Sensor_Plugin

If you have a DD-WRT WifI router, check the Presence script thread. It also has the ability to ping. I have it set to ping my ISP’s DNS server as well as a my DNS provider’s NS1 every 10 minutes. It sets 2 buttons on a multi switch. If one goes off (ping failed), a scene is called that checks the other button status and if that is OFF as well, it switched off a GE plug in switch for about a minute and then back on again. Which my cable router is hooked up to. And 10 mins later I push another switch On command just in case the first one failed. Has been working pretty well for me for over a year.

I’ve got a full up automation system in my rental property and I’ve gone with this option to test internet connection and device response on my internal network:

There is also a plugin that connects to this device so you can access from Vera. Very nice. This hardware also allows for simple programming and has auto ping feature. For instance, I have a second Vera box and if my first one stops responding (has happened once) then this device switches that Vera box off and switches the backup Vera on, which then sends me a notification that the it’s active (so I know something has occurred) I also use to test internet connection (ping 8.8.8.8) and if I don’t get a response over a certain period of time I cycle the power on the DSL Modem box.

Back when I had an unstable wifi router I put a $5 timer on it. I had it power off the router everyday at 3AM for 5 minutes. Not as sophisticated as other schemes but simple as can be and you’re never more than 1 day from recovery.

I am using this and it works well

I can remote into it as well as set a reboot schedule

Howard

I am using this and it works well

I can remote into it as well as set a reboot schedule

Does the switch require a static IP address? I had a similar one that did and I never got it to work outside the home network. I just wondering what you did to make it work.

Follow these instructions

ftp://support.danbit.dk/N/NPOWER2+/UserManual.ENG.3314.1.pdf

Howard

I’ve been wanting something like this for years to deal with the Internet connection & Vera in my vacation home, and never knew such a product existed (maybe I should’ve executed a better search). Going to order one straight away. Thank you.