iPad App and SQ Designer Released

Everyone.

Thank you for your patience and for not bombarding us with questions over the last 24 hours. it has been a hectic time getting all the ducks in row following this release. Its not optimal when your apps are released by a third party!.

SQ Remote HD and SQ Remote Lite are now released:

SQ Remote HD is a full iOS universal app which means that it will run in full native iPad format. This has been priced at $9.99 in the US app store. HD includes all MiOS functionality - there is no in-app purchase. All existing configurations made with SQ Remote are fully compatible with HD.

SQ Remote Lite is an iPhone app that is free and is targeted purely at SQ Blaster users. It does not have any MiOS (Vera) support. Configurations from the earlier version of SQ Remote will load, but the MiOS controls will not be available.

Apart from the native iPad screens, we have added:

• Themes: Users can now download themes and create their own - to personalize the look and feel of SQ Remote. Themes can be as simple as a new background, or can replace the complete button and icon graphics as well as defining the font, and standard font colors that are used in the app. Themes can be created manually, or they can be created by dragging and dropping images into the SQ Designer software (See below). An initial theme has been made available to download via the website, and there will no doubt be others to follow. Themes can be uploaded to box.net and then downloaded to the app. Themes must be placed in a folder named “SQThemes” in the root folder of box.net.

• Icons for Lists. By popular demand… you can now upload icons to box.net to a folder that must be named “SQImages” in the root folder of box.net

• SQ Designer: We have released SQ Designer v1.0. You can find out more about SQ Designer here:
    squareconnect.com Designer will allow you to really go to town on your user interfaces, create macros, manage lists, manage IR code sets, create and edit themes, add icons for lists and more. SQ Designer is fully integrated into box.net as well as being able to connect to your MiOS systems to allow you to add and assign home automation controls outside of SQ Remote. We hope that you enjoy using it. We look forward to seeing your designs!

We have released a bug fix version of the original version of SQ Remote. This will be the last update for that app. It will be removed from the app store soon, but anyone that has downloaded it and purchased the in-app upgrade will still be able to re-download it from within iTunes.

We have updated our website to reflect these latest releases, and will continue to make updates over the next few days.

John & The Square Connect Team

@The Square Connect Team

Nice work! Congrats on the milestone. 8)

The HD app and SQdesigner Rock!!! I swear there is no discernible lag at all!!! Great Job John and the entire SQ team! Has there been any more themes created yet? I just got back from vacation and need to start playing with the themes. I will be posting part two of my video on the app tomorrow night if all goes well.

We have one theme up on the web site… We have another in development. The one on the web site is still being “tweaked” - we will announce on our Facebook page when it has an update.

We are looking for graphic artists who are “into” home control to help us out here. So if you or anyone else has the skills and interest, send me an email.

Of course I have many many ideas for different themes… But I kind of want a really good star trek based on from my home theater… If only I had time (and talent) I’d do it myself…

I was thinking carbon fiber or brushed aluminum first, but the the star trek system sounds pretty wild!

@Cherokee180c

Thanks for the video link to your system showing SQRemoteHD:

Very nice, very clean.

Yeah… themes… I think of new ideas everyday. Unfortunately, I am heads down in the new ZWave controller, and dont have time to try and hack together any. I’ve been thinking of maybe putting on some sort of competition with prizes for the best theme… but not really sure how to get people interested or motivated in that sort of endeavor.

So a question here–in your video, you’re controlling your PS3. Does this mean the blaster does BT, and groks the PS3 interface structure? I had thought it was strictly IR…

–Richard

+1 for Star Trek (LCARS), all other themes go on the back burner. I am sure anyone who has dreamed of the LCARS UI has seen these links before (I’ll post them again anyway). Nothing says “I’m living in the future” like a LCARS interface, or maybe it just says “I’m living in my own personal fantasy version of the future”, but who cares :wink:

http://www.lcarsx32.com/lcars/index.php
lcars touchscreen home control like star trek - YouTube --my favorite as it is HA related
lcars car control like star trek - YouTube --in a car
LCARS Calculator for iPad - YouTube --on the iPad a preview of whats to come…maybe

but of course it wouldn’t be long before I ended up like this guy (and I’m not saying that is a bad thing):

Congrats to Square Connect for the milestone! Great work!

So a question here–in your video, you’re controlling your PS3. Does this mean the blaster does BT, and groks the PS3 interface structure? I had thought it was strictly IR…

–Richard[/quote]

I’m guessing he’s using one of the Logitech IR to Bluetooth adapters designed for the PS3

http://blog.logitech.com/2009/05/12/logitech-harmony-adapter-for-playstation-3-now-available/

Mitch

[quote=“rlmalisz, post:7, topic:168865”]So a question here–in your video, you’re controlling your PS3. Does this mean the blaster does BT, and groks the PS3 interface structure? I had thought it was strictly IR…

–Richard[/quote]

SQBlaster is IR only, I believe he uses an IR to PS3 converter. BT especially the propriatary Sony BT is a pain. Just not worth it given that the IR converters are cheap enough and good enough for what most people want to use our system fro.

M

[quote=“shady, post:8, topic:168865”]+1 for Star Trek (LCARS), all other themes go on the back burner. I am sure anyone who has dreamed of the LCARS UI has seen these links before (I’ll post them again anyway). Nothing says “I’m living in the future” like a LCARS interface, or maybe it just says “I’m living in my own personal fantasy version of the future”, but who cares :wink:

http://www.lcarsx32.com/lcars/index.php
lcars touchscreen home control like star trek - YouTube --my favorite as it is HA related
lcars car control like star trek - YouTube --in a car
LCARS Calculator for iPad - YouTube --on the iPad a preview of whats to come…maybe

but of course it wouldn’t be long before I ended up like this guy (and I’m not saying that is a bad thing):

Congrats to Square Connect for the milestone! Great work![/quote]

OK Tim,

We HAVE to find a way to make this theme.

Mat

Tim,

Sounds like you have a job to do… the community is waiting…

(grin)

[quote=“SquareConnectMat, post:6, topic:168865”]@Cherokee180c

Thanks for the video link to your system showing SQRemoteHD:

Very nice, very clean.

Yeah… themes… I think of new ideas everyday. Unfortunately, I am heads down in the new ZWave controller, and dont have time to try and hack together any. I’ve been thinking of maybe putting on some sort of competition with prizes for the best theme… but not really sure how to get people interested or motivated in that sort of endeavor.[/quote]

Funny you say that Mat, because I was thinking the same thing. You could launch a competition and give away an SQBlaster / SQRemote HD combo as the prize. If you get 15 to 20 entries, you would have a great set of basic themes. Not sure how non owners would be able to create the theme though. Another idea I had was to get with a local high school Art class and give away a cash prize to the best themes. If you could give them the basic parameters and the leather one as an example, they could probably do some awesome work. I bet the local art teacher would like the project.

Yes, I am simply using the Nyko IR USB adapter. You can control everything you need for movie playback with the exception of ON/Off power control. That is not really an issue anyway as you need to physically put the blue ray disc in the slot, which will automatically turn it on. When I am done the movie, I need to eject the disc anyway, so no big deal manually hitting the power button.

Here’s a little theme thing that I started today… not finished yet… and as I am not a hard core Star Trek fan, I have probably violated a lot of rules that I don’t know about…

Let me know if i should finish this… (Screen shot attached).

John

[Note: Screen shot does not seem to appear if you are using Safari. Try Firefox or another browser]

[Follow up note… it has been pointed out to me by someone much more learned in these things, that you need to be logged in to see attachments…!! Apologies for any misdirection through my ignorance.]

The selfish geek in me says “Yes finish it!!!”, but I know how busy you guys are. I am not a huge Star Trek fan either, I enjoy the show, but have never been to the related conventions. If are too busy, someone else can pick-up where you left off (me perhaps). I am still working on getting my iPad though, the wife has me on a never ending quest (to-do list). I can keep going in Designer though if the iPad isn’t required for skin creation.

Although, I know how it is when inspriation strikes and you have to capitalize on it. So if you think a basic control set could be completed by your efforts and it won’t take away from your other pursuits, then I say go for it. We can always tweek it or add to it later with feedback from die-hard fans (authentic sounds, etc. ). I am impressed by your skills and speed, it looks great!

Shady,

You can create skins (themes) for the iPhone with Designer, but the LCARS theme is targeted at the iPad, so its time for a chat with your wife… ;D

LCARS doesn’t work quite so well on the iPhone… not enough space.

I say yes. I’m not a big fan and I love it.

Anyone notice that SQDesigner does not support AV devices that exist on Vera? On sqremote and sqremote HD, you can still select Vera AV Device commands for buttons and macros, but I cannot seem to do the same in SQdesigner… Has anyone had any luck with this?

@Woodsby,

I am sure John will take a look. Feel free to raise a ticket on our ticket system if you want to track it and make sure it gets into the list of items to be looked at.

Mat

Justed finished adding Vera to my SQ Designer and then downloaded to my 3 IPad’s that I have running my AV Systems and now my ZWave lighting and controls in my house.

I can tell you that adding the Lighting Controls to SQ Designer and the loaded them into my SQ IPad App could not have been easier. It took me only 3 hours to get over 30 controls in and out. (The truth is it took me most of last night and untill noon today to get Vera up and running.) :o :o

Very good interface John. Congradulations!

Victor