KeypadLinc control of a Z-wave device?

I was curious if it was possible to control a Z-Wave device (motorized shades) with the Insteon KeypadLinc (2487S). I recently purchased a Vera Lite and have been adding a mix of Insteon and Z-Wave appliances with success. I’d like to set up a scene with one of the buttons to close the shades, turn down lights, etc.

If not possible, any suggestions?

Not via direct link. You could build a scene in Vera once you press the button, but you may be looking at a delay before it gets executed. But then the same would be true using a z-wave scene controller. I would love for some additional suggestions though as I’m looking for a similar solution to a different problem I’m having.

The Insteon KeypadLinc shows up as a dimmable light. I’m not sure how to configure it so a specific button would trigger a scene…. which is exactly what I want to do. I was hoping @fba would chime in with some direction. Maybe Alsteon could fill in this gap in Vera’s GUI?

Are you using Vera’s implementation of insteon or fba’s altsteon? Altsteon should see it as a light and a keypad linc.

• Garrett

I’m only using Vera’s implementation for now. I’m not sure I have the skillset to install Altsteon into my Vera box yet. That is good to know though. Being able to control a single button on the KeypadLinc to trigger a scene should get me what I need.

Thanks Garrett!

Yes, in the scene creation you should be able to specify the button as a trigger for the scene.

• Garrett

Were you able to get this to work? I was hoping to do the same without Altsteon.

By any chance anyone know HOW to make this?

[quote=“garrettwp, post:6, topic:171894”]Yes, in the scene creation you should be able to specify the button as a trigger for the scene.

• Garrett[/quote]

It works! Look at my thread. Once you add the kpl, a scene controller will be added as additional device. Then create a new scene, setup all of the devices on or off as you please, then go to triggers pick the scene controller that was created and in “Which scene number” write the following (if you have 6 button kpl):
3 for the top left scene button, 4 for top right button etc left to right top to button.

I have now the the KeypadLinc controlling my z-wave devices thanks to great work by fba and an excellent tip and fix by garrettwp

Hi all, new user here.

I just wanted to report that I’ve got KeypadLinc control of a Z-Wave load working too. The key difficulty for me was that you must link from the KeypadLinc’s button to the PLM in order for the trigger to work. Linking in the other direction is insufficient. Linking from any other button (including button #1) is also insufficient.

Anyway, I wanted to record this info here for posterity.

-Doug

Old thread bump but I haven’t found any other information on this device.

Looking to add it at the front door to replace an existing z-wave on/off switch. How easy is it to set up the on/off button, as well as the 4 scene buttons, to execute scenes on a Vera?

When I do the tools diagnostics and PLM Info/Status it pops up : 2C.8.F8 v9B / Connected. I am using the Z-Wave firmware. My thermostat works fine I had to disable every single device in the ISY to regain control and it works oddly, but my other Z-Wave switches and devices do not. No Insteon devices work at all.