Kira IR Receiver and Transmitter Plugins

Back from work. :slight_smile:

As @parkerc has explained, you should not use a standard 3.5mm stereo cable to connect the IR output from one module to the IR input of another. Doing so may cause damage as the ring part of an output connector carries a 5 volt supply. If you cannot get the correct cable (KLDE6M) then you could make one with two 3.5mm 3-pin (stereo) jack-plugs and some single-core screened audio cable. The cable screen/shield needs to connect to the jack Body and the inner wire should connect to the jack Tip. The jack Ring should not be connected. See the following information from Keene for details:

http://www.keene.co.uk/pages/downloads/dnl_files/pdfs/Keene_IR_Receiver_and_Emitters_Connections.pdf

I think you will need a splitter so you can have IR from remotes feeding into the IRKIT along with Vera-generated codes through the KIRA. @parkerc has teted this for you. ;D

The only other question is if you want to learn codes for KiraTx through KIRA. You can do this using the built-in IR receiver if it is in a suitable place. Otherwise you may need an additional IR receiver for this task. If you know the codes in Pronto (or KIRA) format, you can import them to KiraTx. I like to learn the codes directly in to the plugin but all the imported codes I have tried work fine. I also used the free Java program from Keene to capture KIRA codes which I then copy/pasted into KiraTx again with no problems. If you are learning codes with KIRA, I recommend using the remote from the normal operating distance.

Thank you again for all the explanations but bad news in final.
I will ask my dealer if he can provide the required elements and/or check if Keene is shipping outside of UK.

But finally, what would be the advantages of the Keene solution compared to Global Cach? iTach ?

And in case I would like to combine the Powermid RF extender with the Keene distribution kit, do I need only this special Jack cable or do I need something more ?

Edit: this cable is available on my second usual dealer 8)

For the jack splitter allowing to have two inputs in the distribution amp, is it again a special adaptor or not ? Because this time this adaptor is available only on the Keene site.

It looks like Keene is recommending the KA203 http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=KA203
rather than the KA109 http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/unbranded/3.5mm-stereo-plug-to-2-x-3.5mm-stereo-sockets/KA109.html
as input splitter for the IRBKIT.
Parkerc, is it the one you are using ?

[quote=“lolodomo, post:24, topic:175170”]It looks like Keene is recommending the KA203 http://www.keene.co.uk/multi.php?mycode=KA203
rather than the KA109 http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/unbranded/3.5mm-stereo-plug-to-2-x-3.5mm-stereo-sockets/KA109.html
as input splitter for the IRBKIT.
Parkerc, is it the one you are using ?[/quote]

I’ve had mine for a number of years now, but I seem to recall mine is just a stereo splitter, the one Keene are recommending however looks better, so much so I’m tempted to get one myself

But finally, what would be the advantages of the Keene solution compared to Global Cach? iTach ?
If you only want to send IR codes from Vera, I don't think there is an advantage in using a KIRA over an iTach. I have been using an iTach with Pronto codes and it worked fine. I started working with KIRA because I wanted to receive IR codes into Vera and iTach can't do that. Using KIRA to transmit IR was @parkerc's idea - some time ago - and he created his own plugin to do it. I made a transmit plugin for KIRA, at his suggestion (that's credit, not blame ;D), to fully utilise the KIRA module. In my case, it has just saved me one port on my switch but I now have a redundant iTach. ::)

Finally, if I want to receive and transmit with the Kira and the Vera, that requires a double connection between the Kira and the distribution amp (IRBKIT),
1 - for transmitting, I need to connect the Kira IR output to the IR input of the distribution amp
2 - for receiving, I need to connect one of the IR output of the distribution amp to the Kira IR input. Doing that, Vera will be notified by IR code received from the main IR receiver connected to the distribution amp (splitter required to have as input the Kira and the IR receiver, and Kira is invisible)
There will be no loop with IR codes as the Kira output is not linked to the IR input.
Is it right ?

I believe that is right. I don’t use an IR distribution amp but I am using a single KIRA to both receive and transmit IR to/from Vera along with the blaster output of my Logitech Harmony 1100. I have no collision issues. As far as I can see, the receive and transmit functions of the KIRA are completely separate - apart from the transmitter sending ACKs over the receiver’s UDP port when it is sent a packet to transmit - but my KiraRx plugin deals with that.

Really not obvious to make this Kira works !

Currently, when I push the learn button and then push a button on my IR remote in front of the Kira IR receiver, nothing happens.

So, I would like first to check on my PC. But when I start the program (either Kira.exe or KIRA.jar), I only get this error message: “Could not find the main class: KIRA.KIRA. Program will exit.”
I have a JRE 1.6. Another of my Java application is working well so I imagine the JRE is correctly setup on my PC.
Any help would be appreciated ?

Regarding the IR amplifier kit (alone without the Kira), I have made a basic test and it seems to work well.

Here is the errors:

java -jar “C:\Data\IRAnywhere\Java Utility Program\Kira.jar”
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: KIRA/KIRA : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClassCond(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$000(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
Could not find the main class: KIRA.KIRA. Program will exit.

I finally solved the Java problem by installing a new JRE version.
Next problem: the Kira Java program does not discover my Kira device. Why ?
I have access to my Kira by this URL http://KIRA => So my Kira is really on my local network but not discovered by the Kira program.

I was finally able to make the plugin working at receiving 8)

That might be a stupid question but where are the KiraTx files ? I don’t find them on this web page.

Which space ?

This space. ;D

I have no feedback from the alpha test so you are the first to try it. It works fine on my system so I hope it does on yours.

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:34, topic:175170”]This space. ;D

I have no feedback from the alpha test so you are the first to try it. It works fine on my system so I hope it does on yours.[/quote]

Thank you, I will try immediately.

This night, I have the feeling to be really stupid, I am advancing really slowly and now I am not succeeding to send an IR code using the Kira tools !
I use the Java program to learn a code, for example K 2402 21EA 08EB 01EF 2000
I then open the web page of my Kira and go in the page “Send IR codes”; I try to enter “K 2402 21EA 08EB 01EF 2000” in the first field but the field is limited to only 14 characters ! What am I doing wrong ?

The Send IR Codes page on the built-in web server requires named codes. You can set the four named codes using the Setup IR Codes page. You can also learn and store the codes using the Java utility.

If it was easy, I wouldn’t have bothered to write KiraTx. ;D

Well, KiraTX is working 8)

Only little problem encountered: I go through the code with the First and Next buttons and for each code I try the Test button. If the name field is not empty, the code is not sent.

I thought that KiraTx and KiraRx were sharing the same codes ? I was constrained to learn again my 3 codes with the KiraTx plugin.

The code displayed in the KiraRx and KiraTx plugins have not the same format, maybe you could display the two formats, the original Kira format and your format ?

My last major problem is that the external IR input of the Kira is not working. I setup the Kira to use “External IR Receiver” in the option page. But when I learn code, nothing happens, neither with the plugin, neither with the Java Kira application :frowning:
Is the external IR input available when in standalone mode ?

[quote=“lolodomo, post:37, topic:175170”]My last major problem is that the external IR input of the Kira is not working. I setup the Kira to use “External IR Receiver” in the option page. But when I learn code, nothing happens, neither with the plugin, neither with the Java Kira application :frowning:
Is the external IR input available when in standalone mode ?[/quote]

Finally, it seems that receiving from the external IR input is working with the Kira app but not with your plugin.
The problem might be that the code is totally different for the same remote button.
Here is the code with the internal IR receiver: K 2402 2220 08B4 01D6 2000
while here is the code when using the external IR receiver: K 2322 2267 1116 0224 021F 0241 0217 0225 023C 0225 0225 0242 0217 0225 023C 0225 0225 0242 0217 0225 0675 0242 066B 0223 0670 0224 0675 0242 0217 0225 0675 0242 0662 0225 0675 0225 0237 0224 0225 0242 021F 0224 0237 0225 0675 0225 0237 0224 021F 0241 021F 0224 0670 0242 0670 0224 0668 0226 0675 0242 0217 0225 0675 0242 0670 0224 0668 0225 2000
Note that with the internal IR, when learning the code with the Kira app, I see a long code immediately replaced by the short code. Maybe it can help ?

If the name field is not empty, the code is not sent.
It shouldn't make any difference what is in the [i]Name[/i] field. It works OK on my system. Does it show [i]Code sent[/i]? Does the red light flash on KIRA?
The code displayed in the KiraRx and KiraTx plugins have not the same format, maybe you could display the two formats, the original Kira format and your format ?
What would be the advantage in that?

KiraTx learns, imports, displays and transmits native KIRA code format. KiraRx learns and imports native Kira format but saves the codes in a compressed form for faster and more reliable recognition. If it is too difficult to learn the codes twice, learn them with KiraTx and then copy them from the display and paste/import them into KiraRx. What additional functionality would help?

It should be. Is your receiver a Keene product?

[quote=“RexBeckett, post:39, topic:175170”]

It should be. Is your receiver a Keene product?[/quote]

Yes, it is this one: http://www.keene.co.uk/electronic/keene-electronics/keene-standard-ir-receiver/IRSR.html
Ot looks like a problem with the learn feature of your plugin. When I push learn in the Rx or Tx plugin, I see “Waiting for code
” and then nothing.
And the same location and from the same remote, the Kira app succeeds in learning a code.