Knowing if anyone is home for certain?

I am lousy at coding. No you don’t need LUA to use iPhone locator. The home location is simply a box in the options.

I think you can use it to control Home mode directly as well, but I don’t do that for various reasons :wink:

C

thanks. used iphone locator many years ago with LUA i got from this community. then i stopped it when VeraMate came out but i believed was abandoned by its developer. i also used the geofence Vera mobile app but stopped about 3-4 months ago because of its unreliability. ok thanks will go back to iphone locator again. but i never used Reactor - this will be my first time.

If I can (mostly) make Reactor work, anyone can.

Patrick is a star assisting idiots as well :wink:

C

Thank you all for your thoughts and ideas. The purpose of the question was to able to do something similair to what I hope/believe is possible with HA; to have something like this pic below, and know if someone is in a room (maybe thats not possible i HA either - maybe it´s just me dreaming, misunderstanding and wishing). It would be nice if those ‘people’ icons represented a presence in corresponding room:

It would be even nicer if it were possible to have a view like this in the Vera UI.

Much discussed in this community over the years.

Needs the right combination of sensors and algorithms.

Thread with some references here…

Strangely, searching this forum for “Wasp in a Box” will find something of interest.

For me, over the years, what I have found out that works is a combination of pooling the wifi router for an specific MAC/IP address, then use the NetMon sensor to ping it, and combine that with the room motion sensors to determine presence.

This is what I do:

1. Script goes to my router every 5 minutes and gets a list of connected devices. Scrip compares the list of the WiFi devices that I am interested and triggers a virtual switch in Vera whether the device is connected or not. Virtual switch = ON then device is home.

2. NetMon also pings the device every minutes and triggers when not connected.

3. Reactor then detects the Virtual Switch OFF and NetMon for that device and Trigger.

4. Reactor starts a 45 minute delay timer before any action about the presence of that person is marked as “Away” and additional actions are triggered based on what I need.

The reason to wait 45 minutes is to make sure that the device is not dormant and disconnecting the WiFi. Typically, IOS and Android devices go dormant on WiFi after a period of inactivity, but wakes up at about every 30 minutes and reconnects. This way, waiting 45 minutes, I can eliminate all false positives about the device not being home and my presence based scenes work property 99.9% of the time.

At step one, my WiFi AP also detects Bluetooth devices so I combine WiFi with the BT MAC of the device, helping also to keep false positives down, which for me was the most important aspect of presence detection. So the script looks for both WiFI IP/MAC and BT Beacon and MAC for a particular device. If any of them are present, then no action, if both are not seen by the AP, then change the state of the VS.

Would you be prepared to share the script?

C