konnected alarm panel

I ran into this last night. Works with SmartThings and HomeAssistant.

It is the Holy Grail of what we (I) need. Does anyone know anything more about it?

Check this out: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nateclark/konnected-alarm-panel-revive-your-wired-alarm-syst?ref=1pm71e&utm_source=organic&utm_campaign=kio-redirect

Why does SmartThings get some of the best integration first??

1 Like

Currently doing just this with my concord 4 panel. However, the C4 panel is intact with the automation module, that talks to the vera edge. No requirement to switch out panel.

Smartthings gets stuff first due to market share. (my opinion) You can go to best buy and slap together a DYI home solution which includes ST’s. Can’t get vera at Best Buy, its to niche.

My 70 year old dad got a ST’s and had it up and running with a camera in about two hours. If he tried that with vera I probably would have had to fly in and rescue.

1 Like

Wow, this might be pretty cool.
Disappointed it only works with ST. They tend to be the trendy system to go with these days.
Some thoughts with a quick overview.

WIFI only? That makes no sense for a security device. Wifi goes down and your alarm is not communicating. But no one ever has WIFI problems right?
But it may work for some people that want simple security for a cheap price.
“Automatically arm and disarm your system with proximity detection” They do not explain how this works.
Right now,
You can do all this, better, including proximity detection for multiple people currently with an alarm, EVL, and Vera. With no monthly fees or under 10$ a month for monitoring.

All appreciated posts. Not the point.

I have a smart home that came with an OmniPro Hai now Leviton. It?s old school and old school zwave. I hate the idea of a panel that has to have a breakout box. Ie EV3,4 etc. I know I can run omnihab as an intermediate to communicate with my system.

Ridiculous. I agree I am not happy with the WiFi connectivity but it?s the only solution that has a breakout box for my wired home alarm that is agnostic to the panel and open api.

Don?t miss the point in this. If verasecure has a breakout box to use my hardwired analog alarm and senors I would have been all over it.

And no, switching to DSC or Ell or whatever is like buying an old Buick to replace an old ford.

This is truly a great idea.

1 Like

Drex, you are seeing it from one side. Convenience.
Security is always a trade off of convenience. Usually, the easier your security system is to install and use, the more insecure it is.
More secure systems are closed, hard to install and take longer to use.
Technology is changing this but I don’t think we are at the point where it is seamless or we do not notice it. Yet.

If you want a simple easy security system, this is it. The problem is that that this convenient security system may be very insecure due to hacking. Especially with WIFI only.
DSC and similar systems are closed for a reason. They are pretty secure. Most of the people that use them do not want additional holes that can let someone take control of their systems. This is why it has been up to third party ventures (EVL) to do this.

I would never trust WIFI for my security needs. Hard wired is the only way to go for sensors and I still have not seen how they plan to do proximity detection?
But it may be an easy buy for some people.

I guess it is like a lock for your door. Some people like it easy and cheap, some people like them secure. Rarely do the two meet.

Hi all,
Nate here from Konnected (I’m the guy in the video!). I found this thread via a Google alert that we had set up. Glad to see you all interested. I’m happy to answer some of your questions:

1. The decision to use WiFi was made because most homes, especially those that were built in the 80s, 90s and 2000s when wired alarm systems were all the rage, don’t have ethernet anywhere near their alarm panel. WiFi is the common denominator that will work in nearly every home and every country.

2. I hear ya that WiFi isn’t the most super secure. This product isn’t intended to be a super secure security system. The primary target are people who aren’t currently using their aging wired alarm system, or would rather use wired sensors over z-wave or zigbee wireless ones (which, IMO, are less reliable). For most people, this will be more secure than not using a security system at all. If failsafe security is your primary concern, Konnected is probably not for you (at least not yet).

3. The proximity arming/disarming is a SmartThings feature. This is built in to the SmartThings app. Konnected is really just a bridge between the wired sensors and siren to SmartThings or Home Assistant.

4. The reason why ST gets all the good integrations first is because of their market share and openness to 3rd-party developers. This product started as an open-source project. ST makes it easy for anyone to just write some code, put it on Github, and let other people use it in their ST installation with a few clicks.

I’ll be looking into Vera as a future integration. Ultimately my goal is to integrate with ALL the HA and security systems. Consumer choice and owning your own data is very important to me. One step at a time though …

Let me know if you have any other questions. I’ll be monitoring this thread.

Nate

2 Likes

Nate-

Thanks for findings us. Had sent you an email at your konnected.io addy… I am sure you get a lot of them.

Any plans to offer a wired connection to the network? That would be awesome.

Would love to beta test.

Have a friend buying the 10 pack and central florida install. Will likely be there when that happens early next year here in Central Florida.

Looking forward to the future –

Drex

Nate -
is there a kickstarter backing number/level that would help incentivize creating the Vera integration?

I just tuned in to this thread 4 years late, having just learned of Konnected’s existence yesterday, but… is it fair to say no Vera integration or plug-in ever happened?

Meanwhile, I’ll keep reading this thread for clues. Thanks!

• Libra
1 Like

Right. I think your best bet is to use something else. I’m seeing it’s supported in many places. My Virtual Alarm Panel Plug-in could be potentially used if you want to have partition state via HTTP calls somewhere else.

2 Likes