Last software update fail

Access your command prompt if using Windows and run the command “ipconfig /all” search for the response for Ethernet LAN and make note of the IPV4 address. Then visit the subnet in your browser with the ending octet as “1”…for example 192.168.100.“1” and you should be at the default address. From there you should be able to set your Vera’s network settings to your routers hosted private subnet.

So I have been reading through the firmware upgrade scripts and mechanisms.
@Sorin , I can actually see that in the upgrade_prep.sh you are doing a file system check and even checking whether the /etc/cmh-firmware file is mounted in /storage. I am wondering why you are even then considering using overlay for the upgrade when it is so small. It should always be processed in storage. There are a lot of failsafe code in there preventing the upgrade if space is not suffiscient and deleting ergy and datamine plugin files. I think the dev are getting too cute with all this and given how many are failing I am wondering whether this script is being used at all.

1 Like

Hi chap. That’s only going to work if your home LAN is on the same range as the default IP of the Vera. As Fryswatter suggests you really need to plug the Mac and the Vera together directly (although you might be able to access it via the Vera WiFi if your Mac can see it)

C

I took the Mac off Ethernet and successfully joined the Vera Edge WiFi. Unfortunately, I still couldn’t Funt Vera’s IP address. I’ll have to get a direct wired connection and try again.

Thanks for all advice! I am up and running again on an old backup. Much trail and error solved it now some tuning left.

1 Like

Just out of curiousity what was the IP address of the mac when you tried that?

Cheers

C

It was some unfamiliar self-assigned IP address. I realize things may have been affected by the fact that the Vera was still connected to ethernet. I may try disconnecting it from ethernet and seeing if I can access it via Wi-Fi before I give up and do a direct connection between my Mac and the Vera.

Nope
So you would need to assign the Mac something like 192.168.81.2 and then try to connect to Vera on 192.168.81.1
A self assigned IP won’t work.
The Vera does have a DHCP server, but no idea if that’s on by default.

C

OK, when I connect by wifi with ethernet not attached or directly ethernet pony to ethernet pony, the Mac gets a self-assigned IP address something like: 169.254.28.45.

I ran an ethernet cable from my Mac to the Vera Edge and just tried exactly that.

On Safari I get “You are not connected to the internet. This page can’t be displayed because your computer is currently offline.”

OK, maybe there’s some Safari thing, so I tried Firefox. I got:

"Unable to connect
Firefox can’t establish a connection to the server at 192.168.81.1.

• The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
  • If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.

• If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web."

I’m totally blocked. :grimacing:

OK not so good. Did you set the IP address of the Mac to 192.168.81.2 ?
Can you use a terminal?

If set yourself up again and paste the output of
ifconfig -a

Then
ping -c 10 192.168.81.1

(PS let me know if you’re not clear how to force the static IP on the Mac)

Cheers
C

1 Like

OK, I reset the Vera Edge again and using the instructions here (http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/How_to_reset_to_default_network_settings) for the firmware version newer than 7.0.12.1 I arrived at an IP address of 192.168.28.45 for the Vera Edge and am able to connect via browser. However, when I do so, I get “Luup engine is taking longer to reload.” I’ve attached a screen shot of the page, which offers no way to get to, for example, the network settings on the device.

1 Like

Yay progress!

So I reckon you’re out of space, but @rafale may have another view.

How are you with SSH and a command line? You probably need to delete some files, and the best way for you to do it is via that.

But pretty sure support can help as well

Cheers

C

Yep, was just finishing up with them when I saw your email come in. I restored from a backup, but it looks like some of my scenes are scrambled. I’ll investigate more once I put Vera back into her closet. :slight_smile:

OK, I restored the Vera Edge to my closet and now the service light keeps blinking rapidly and I can no longer access it from a browser :frowning:

Having exactly the same issue. Tried SSHing into the unit but it keeps denying the password. Hard resetting removes it from my controllers but adding it back fails on step 4. Power/Internet/Wifi/Service light up and then a few minutes later the unit appears to reboot back to Power, in-between that I get the Luup taking longer to reload screen.

Worse part was initially after the firmware (which I left for 22 minutes before pulling the plug), online didn’t work, the app dropped, but direct connect on my networked worked fine… until I tried to go to Apps to clear the memory.

Lovely Bricked Vera. Joy.

I’ve emailed Support, absolutely fuming they released a firmware that clearly wasn’t tested properly. I’ve had this happen (mildly) once before, but the hard reset and backup worked perfectly.

I am experiencing the same issue, everything was good until I rebooted after the update, now cant even connect. Called support, after over an hour support said is defective, will send an email for next steps, to replace it if under warranty .

OK, this is weird…

Support helped me regain contact with the Vera Edge and restore my configuration. This worked as long as I kept it plugged into Ethernet on my desk. When I replaced it back into my wiring closet, on the same LAN but a gigabit Ethernet switch or two closer to the router, the Service light blinked rapidly and I was unable to connect.

I ultimately did a hard reset again, and, after a second restore back on my desk, was able to get things working again. Back into the closet, a blinking service light and unable to see it on my LAN. Then with no changes I moved it back on my desk, and now it’s working fine as far as I can see.

So, two different Ethernet connections on the same LAN, one allows the Vera Edge to work, and, since the firmware update, the other, where it was happily connected for 5 years, no longer does.

Somehow it resonates with a couple other comments above about changing Ethernet cables or switch/router ports which sometimes restored connectivity. But what’s actually going on is very unclear to me.

Any ideas?

This is not so weird… This new firmware has an updated NetworkMonitor program which caused me great grief too as it can set the vera into an infinite luup reload loop. Fortunately my “standard” configuration is to kill this program which from what I could tell isn’t monitoring anything useful and isn’t doing anything good about it. I recommend to kill it. I suggested it to Sorin as well.

Occam’s razor would indicate that the LAN port / connectivity in the cupboard needs to be checked first…

C