LED control for Leviton RZCZ4 and RZCS4

I tested LED control over these two devices and only the RZCZ4 responds to the sample commands in the Wiki. Zone controllers respond instantly and the different colors are really nice. I am trying to setup the Zone Controllers to have one red light on indicating the last selected button or scene so that the dimmer button at the bottom of the controller makes more sense.
The Wiki also mentions a http://192.168.2.117:3480/data_request?id=lu_invoke command to use first but my system changed the LED’s with or without the command.
I am puzzled by the inability to change the LED’s on Scene Controllers but it is no big deal since their behavior is fine with Vera handling them.
Questions: What is the Invoke command for…do I need it?
My Scene Controller has setting identical to the Zone Controller (4 on buttons 4 off buttons) even though it has been properly identified…could Vera be sending out the wrong codes to control the LED’s on the Scene Controller? Just curious on that one.

Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

It’s just to get the right URL populated in your browser by typing a relatively short one with the right IP and then some mouse clicks.
But you can just copy/paste the final URL posted in the example, change the IP, the device number, and the two parameters.

I am puzzled by the inability to change the LED's on Scene Controllers but it is no big deal since their behavior is fine with Vera handling them.
As was discussed in prior threads, you need to have the more recent scene/zone controllers for external LED control to work:

Scene Controllers: VRCS4-M0 or VRCS4-MR
Zone Controllers: VRCZ4-M0 or VCZ4-MR
M0 = no local switch ; MR = with local switch
There’s a letter at the end to indicate face color sets (X, or Z): not important.

No go on the older ones (VRCS4-1L, VRCZ4-1L).

As was discussed in prior threads, you need to have the more recent scene/zone controllers for external LED control to work:

Scene Controllers: VRCS4-M0 or VRCS4-MR
Zone Controllers: VRCZ4-M0 or VCZ4-MR

I have the -MO’s…zone controllers no problem…same command doesn’t work on Scene controllers.
Also the changing of the LED values doesn’t seem to effect anything else…good news
Tim

That’s odd. I have the -MR and it works for both ZC’s and SC’s. According to my information, it should work on the -M0’s and the MR’s.

Also the changing of the LED values doesn't seem to effect anything else....good news
Zone controllers have distinct on/off buttons. So it's clear what you want the scene/zone to do from your button press. Try a scene controller. :P If active, the LED must be green or amber to deactivate it. If inactive, the LED must be off or red to activate it.

I will check it out today…thanks.
Tim

I have the LEDs working the way I want on my Leviton Zone Controllers.
When a switch is turned on, the LED to that switch turns RED and all others off.
When the same switch is turned off, the LED to that switch turns green.
The result is that you can walk up to the controller hours or days later and hit the lower dimmer and know which light are going to dim! Several of my employees have tried it with the new programming and they like it better as well. (it’s important that it makes sense to non techies)

You can do what ever you want with these controllers by turning off the LED control under the SCENE TAB and add 4 scenes for on and 4 scenes for off.
Under Luup of each scene add this code:

luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="3",Indicator="1"}, 34) luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="0",Indicator="2"}, 34) luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="0",Indicator="3"}, 34) luup.call_action("urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1","SetLight",{newValue="0",Indicator="4"}, 34)

34 refers to my DEVICE number so change it to match your controller.
This code turns LED for button 1 to RED (3)
I used the same code for the matching off scene but change the RED (3) to Green (1)

Regards
Tim Alls
AllSeas Yachts

Great!

(it's important that it makes sense to non techies)
;D I never would have guessed that 'LED red = Zone On', 'LED green = Zone Off', and 'LED off = Zone On or Off', makes sense to non-techies...

BTW, the buttons are amber right?
(0=off, 1=green, 2=red, 3=amber)

I’m getting ready to order more z-wave parts and I’d like to get a Leviton controller. I can’t seem to find a place to buy the new ones, but I’ve read other people on the forums have them.

Do I just need to wait or maybe I’m misunderstanding the model number?

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA

Valid part numbers I believe are:

Zone: VRCZ4-MRX , VRCZ4-MRZ , VRCZ4-M0Z
Scene: VRCS4-MRX , VRCS4-MRZ , VRCS4-M0Z

-MRX = with local switch, white/ivory/almond faces included
-MRZ = with local switch, white/ivory/light almond faces included
-M0Z = without local switch, white/ivory/light almond faces included

Check here for some info on zone vs. scene. Based on that, I’d say folks would recommend zone controllers because of the distinct on/off buttons. (I personally have mostly zone controllers, but keep an M0 and MR scene controller around for reference/testing.)

Tim: first, I should say I think this is pretty cool.

What I imagined you were going to do is to have the last pressed button turn red (I like amber better), and any others that were on turn green. Only those that are off would have no LED. At first glance, I don’t like the idea of having lights or scenes that are “on” have no LED lit up. With all my unlabeled buttons, my wife would have even less of a clue what to do. Maybe it’s finally time to get all my buttons labeled.

I suppose that in a bank of controllers where each button is clearly labeled, having no LED would be less of a problem. It would also be less of a problem with the zone controllers (than the scene controllers) where you can simply hit the “off” side of the rocker switch to turn things off. On my scene controllers, I can see myself intending to turn all the lights off and pressing a button and having an off light turn on, then going “Oops!” and hitting it again to turn it off and then hit the other button to turn off the other light and having Vera delay it enough to confuse me as to whether I’ve hit the right one…

As I think about it, in an ideal world, I’d like Leviton to put a blue LED on these as well. To maintain consistency with the dimmer switches and other Leviton products, it would make sense to have something like:
blue LED= on
green LED= active (the last button pressed, the one the dimmer button would activate)
amber= off (or pairing mode)
red= failed (or reset)

Precisely my thinking as well (have everything that’s on be lit with some color). But you’d have to read the current state of the LEDs, then make the appropriate changes. Not sure that that interface exists. It also adds a layer of complexity if you want to keep multiple controllers in sync (i.e. keep the LEDs green for active scenes).

[quote=“shifter775, post:8, topic:168211”]I’m getting ready to order more z-wave parts and I’d like to get a Leviton controller. I can’t seem to find a place to buy the new ones, but I’ve read other people on the forums have them.

Do I just need to wait or maybe I’m misunderstanding the model number?

Any pointers appreciated.

TIA[/quote]

We are shipping the new ones, I just need to get the site updated.

Precisely my thinking as well (have everything that’s on be lit with some color). But you’d have to read the current state of the LEDs, then make the appropriate changes. Not sure that that interface exists. It also adds a layer of complexity if you want to keep multiple controllers in sync (i.e. keep the LEDs green for active scenes).[/quote]

unfortunately, there is no way to currently look at the state of the LEDs via a LUUP call, as their state is not maintained in the ScenControllerLED1 object that is instantiated. I have spoke to MCV and filed a bug to get it added, but unless a bunch of people ask for it, it will remain a low-priority, so if you want it, speak up to customer support.

I worked around it by creating my own variables in the object to track the state:
luup.variable_set(“urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:SceneControllerLED1”,“LED4”, 1, 11)
you can make variable for each LED, or make your own table.

I am not sure if reading the LEDs will help. The Zone controllers are still trying to change the LEDs in my case and I simply write over the top of them. It seems to me that you would want… total user control, Vera control, or Leviton control. Trying to mix them together would be a real challenge. IMHO
One could, however, simply have an “if then else” added to my code that checks to see if the Zone is Off…based on that the LEDs could be set to Green if on or Off if off.

I never would have guessed that 'LED red = Zone On', 'LED green = Zone Off', and 'LED off = Zone On or Off', makes sense to non-techies...

I thought like you but the intensity of the light was too low on green. My guys liked that it stands out when on and looks less intense (green) when off. It still reminds you that the button is active.
Everyone can come up with their own version but at least it works!
And correction…I said RED and you were right…I am using #3 (Amber)

Regards
Tim Alls

And how about the hardware? I was aiming more at a GetLight interface to query the controller, so internal state tables can be initialized after resets and such.

That’s more what I would have guessed. ;D

... but at least it works!
And that's the important thing. You were able to make it work the way you wanted. Excellent!

Not to confuse everyone but I have one last strange thing to report!
Mixing brands together has produced lots of bugs as you can see with all the threads on GE dimmers and Leviton Controllers. Here is another one I picked up since I have a few GE dimmers mixed in for testing…

With the Leviton Dimmers being controlled by a Leviton Zone control paddle button…Press the on button and the light comes on, then you can raise and lower the intensity of the light from the lower dimmer. Press the off button and the light goes off. You cannot hit the lower dimmer button and raise the intensity of the light back up…dimmer only works when the ON button has been pressed.

With a GE Dimmer being controlled by a Leviton Zone control paddle button…same as above, however in the off position the lower dimmer works…pressing up, slowly raises the lighting level from the off position…a very nice feature! Go Figure…
Regards
Tim Alls

Tim that is the Devices them selves not Vera. The Levitons will only dim/brighten when On. Other brands will brighten from Off.

Tim that is the Devices them selves not Vera. The Levitons will only dim/brighten when On. Other brands will brighten from Off.
I figured that.....it's just too bad, I like what the GEs are doing in this case....but I am still sticking with the Leviton Dimmers because they work properly with Scenes. I want to clarify my last statement because it is confusing to some.....I prefer to have the controllers in charge of my Scenes not Vera.....just a personal preference! I want to be able to change the scene using the Leviton Method. Thanks for the feedback! Regards Tim Alls AllSeas Yachts

Not sure if they’re bugs, but the limitations have certainly been called out. Mainly in relation to devices that don’t support everything that’s needed. I think MCV did pretty great throwing this together, working around stuff. (e.g. @CMRancho, @aschwalb I believe are happy, without modifications to the out-of-the-box operation.)

I think you’ll have to use the Leviton remote to get it to work entirely right. Programming just the associations with Vera will work (as you have demonstrated), but there are limitations.