Leviton Switches - Forcing a SubCategory

I had a similar topic open last December but it closed and I can no longer update it
I just added a few more switches and still can’t figure this one out. Turning off Automatically Configure did not help

Hello All -

Longtime user and running in to a strange situation. I recently installed two Leviton DZ15S switches. They’re working fine as expected but they associated with a Category and SubCategory of “3” which appears to be some sort of appliance module.

I’m trying to switch to a Category 3 and SubCat 1 (Light) but it keeps reverting after a reload.

What am I missing?

Try this: Disable this check box in your ZWave Settings: (see image) image

Then manually change it in Advanced Settings. This should keep it from changing back.

Hi there. Thanks for the response.

I actually have most my ZWave Devices set to never poll (as well as disabled auto-configure) to help with stability, reloads, etc. These devices always seems to go back to their default sub-category.

Some devices have category and/or subcategory that cannot be changed. Any changes will be reverted at the next reload.

1 Like

This is my thought as well. Unfortunate that a company like Leviton may be doing this. They show up as a Sub 3 which I think is an appliance module. eye roll

I believe, if you don’t mind sacrificing the canned UI for device options, you can force the Vera to not use its “smarts” on the device, and that should leave the subcategory alone, maybe… I have theory… worth a try?

Go to one of the DZ15S switches, into control panel, Attributes tab. You should find an attribute pnp and I would expect it to have the value 6861 (if it’s different, reply to me here with the value it currently has, and stop here). Remove that value (set it to blank). Then reload Luup (from there, the New Service tab has a “Reload” button close at hand).

Wait for the reload to finish, then hard reload your browser (link).

Now, go back to the Attributes tab for that device. With luck pnp will still be empty. If it is, go ahead and set subcategory_num the way you want it. Then reload Luup again, wait a moment, and hard-refresh again. If my theory is correct, your subcategory will stick from here on out.

Fingers crossed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice, Rigpapa. Always appreciated.

pnp was set to 6861 but, after nulling it out doing a reload and a hard refresh, the value returned. Tried a few times just to be sure.

Wheee! They’re “helping” us! Bummer…

1 Like