LIFX Plugin

I have those settings enabled, and I followed your directions exactly as you described in the post with the new file attached. I can’t get this to work in the test box, or in a scene:

lifx_ctrl.lifx_ctrl("group:Kitchen", "on", 1)

I have tried rebooting a number of times to ensure that the Startup Lua was properly initialized. My authorization key is entered, all of my devices and scenes show in the list, and I can turn lights on and off using conventional scene actions. Testing a scene tells me that it’s successful, but nothing happens, testing in the test box says that it failed. I’m completely baffled as to what is causing this issue. I guess it’s not possible to have the effects using the “Advanced Editor” in scene creation? Scripting is way more powerful, but at this point I just want my notifications back.

I will pm you later on…

I would be grateful

What about the LIFX Tiles are they supported regarding Effects like (Fire, Colour Cycle etc ) ?

Tile specific effects are not supported, I can add them but don’t have any tiles for testing.

@Majimus
Apparently the problem with the scripts has something to do with the lack of support for TLSv1.2 for interfacing with LIFX API (according to the author of the original LIFX app: Instructions and Steps to Implement LIFX API - Part II - #6 by joek - Lighting & Load Control - Ezlo Community ).
Meanwhile I’ve been confused AF, since there are now 2 LIFX apps and I’ve been thinking that they were one project.

@Quixote, sorry for the confusion let me try to clarify and hopefully my understanding is correct. If memory serves me right there is another LIFX plugin on the mios app store, the one by me was the first IIRC.

The plugin was written because I wanted to use some LIFX bulbs in a project and also considered leveraging the vera as part of the system but there was no plugin at the time only the script.

A number of people including yourself was using the “script” from Joe and since he was MIA and you folks were asking for support I took it upon myself to land a hand to the script and made a few changes to make it easier for pushing changes to the community.

I never had, nor do I have any interest in being the maintainer of the said script. Since Joe is back, we can let him carry on. My vision of the script varied from Joe’s but he should be able to get you back on track. I can also assist with removal of the one modified by me if it comes to that.

I continue to use the plugin on a daily basis, making an effort to address issues that arise from time to time.There is an incompatibility with the TLS setting in the latest firmware and an update has been posted to the app store (pending approval).

Hope that clears up the confusion.

Majimus

Lifx Plugin 8986

This is the plugin that I wrote and continue to update, the other one is by someone else.

Hi and thanks for your reply,
Once the update to your plugin is made available, will the TLS incompatibility be corrected for the script implementation in your app as well? I don’t think the script itself requires maintenance. If not, will it be possible to use both plugins simultaneously? I like a lot of characteristics of your app, but also enjoy the added versatility of having scripts for light notifications (pulse/breathe) and scene activations.
It’s too bad you guys can’t work cooperatively for the different capabilities.
Thanks

Quixote,

I am aware of, and intrigued by the fact that folks have been leveraging plugin 8986 in ways that I did not imagine. I see no reason why that would change once the TLS issues have been resolved (I really have no idea the scope of what people are doing with the thing apart from a few support requests in the earlier days).

I doubt that Joe requires my assistance with the script he started now that he is back, consider my intrusion a helping hand in his absence.

Majimus

Glad to hear it. Hopefully the amended version will be approved soon so I can try it out. You’d be surprised at how useful it is to have lights flash specific colors when a motion sensor is tripped or someone rings the doorbell.

Not really sure if Joe is actually back. His responses are rather sporadic. That said, I’m sure he doesn’t really need your help, nor do you need his. A merge would certainly enhance the functionality of both, not to mention lessen your load – or rather eliminate altogether your obviously despised task of “maintaining the script”. Anyway, just a thought. I’m sure everyone using LIFX products will continue to appreciate the fact that you’re offering this to us out of generosity. Ultimately I guess putting work into a Vera plugin is like renovating an apartment in an abandoned building that is falling down around you.
Thanks again

Is it just my setup, or has anyone noticed that suddenly in the last few days the “setloadleveltarget” does nothing?
I can set the colorRGB, no problems, and turn the LIFX lights on and off, but suddenly for the last few days, it hasn’t adjusted the brightness level.
It’s a bit of a shock to the system when you get up in the middle of the night, the motion sensor see’s you in the hallway and bam, 100% instant light, wakes you up pretty quick!

Just taking a look, seems like loadlevel via the cloud is broken…with local control it works just fine.

Thanks for pointing it out, will try to resolve as soon.

Majimus.

Awesome, it is by far one of the most used apps on my vera, I’ve got automated LIFX lights throughout my house!

@Majimus, do you happen to know if LIFX downlights support local control?
I’ve changed the variable USE_LOCAL to true
The bulbs I’ve got I’ve still got control of, so they must be running local, it’s only the downlights that aren’t changing brightness, and they seem much slower then the bulbs to respond, which makes me think they are running via the cloud?

Local control working properly depends on many local factors (your network), the brightness issue means they are definitely using the cloud…did not even know these down-lights even existed prior to right now. I have some A19s and a Strip so that is what the code is tested with.

I see the problem with the brightness, will try to upload the fix soon but it may take a while for it to get reviewed and released.

Edit: The version with the bug-fix has been sent to the store, you should see it once it passes the review process.

Update: The fixed version is live now.

1 Like

Hi Majimus,
Thanks for fixing the LIFX app, all seems to have gone back to normal now, which is great.
Do you know if its possible to get the downlights to work locally rather then via the cloud?
My internet briefly disconnected… (thanks to Australia’s great internet) and all my mini bulbs continued to work like nothing was wrong, but none of my downlights would respond, and thats 8 of the bulbs in my house!!
I’m not tech savvy enough to work it out, but if you’ve got any suggestions, im happy to try and help for the benefit of other aussies who may have the same downlight setups.
Cheers Ash

Hey I know it’s been a year so I’m hoping someone sees this and can share some insight. I recently got back into automation. Dug out my old vera lite and updated to the latest version of ui7. This plugin works but only with my Tiles. None of my bulbs are responding. The big issue I have is the tiles don’t update status in vera if I use the Lifx App. The lifx app will update status but the plugin in vera won’t. I also can’t change the colors of my tiles but that’s not as important. Thanks guys!

The plugin will eventually update from external changes (power and brightness) but may take a few mins to do so.

edit: I use the plugin with bulbs and light strips, no issues currently.

Ok thanks for the reply. Not sure what else it can be then. I installed the plugin and that’s pretty much it. Not messing around with the script. (I did before but it made no difference. I opted to uninstall by SSH deleting the files and reinstall) I have two sets of tiles and they both work but none of my bulbs respond. The status in Vera won’t update no matter how long it’s been. Thank you for this plugin…

-EDIT

I just tested out a bulb at Pulse Effect and was able to communicate with it. I noticed in the Plug → Advanced → Variables tab : the child count is 0. I thought I saw the child count reflected the number of lights I had synced in settings and also I thought I saw the synced lights’ id populated in Child Data. Could this have an effect on communication? Even if I saw those things before… the communication is the same as it is now … I just find it odd that they;re missing now.