LIFX Plugin

Just trying out version 1.0. Sorry for hounding you with questions all the time, but I need something clarified.

To enable LAN control by setting USE_LOCAL to “true” in the advanced settings of the controller, I assume that I’m to go to devices → Lifx Plugin → Advanced → New Service and then fill in the New variable and New value accordingly and hit Add? Does the “New service” field require any input?
Thanks in advance!

The USE_LOCAL variable should already there with a value of “false”.

I would just like to say thank you to Majimus for creating and working on this plugin, I have installed .9 and enabled local communication to the bulbs and it seems quicker.
Thanks again Majimus :slight_smile:

Under “Advanced”, “Params” makes no mention of USE_LOCAL, and under “Variables” aside from the fields “DEBUG”, “DELAY” and “ChildCount”, I see only ChildData which appears to be a list of the lights and scenes that I synced. The other 2 tabs, “New Service” and “Commands” contain no data or variable names. :o

Under “Advanced”, “Params” makes no mention of USE_LOCAL, and under “Variables” aside from the fields “DEBUG”, “DELAY” and “ChildCount”, I see only ChildData which appears to be a list of the lights and scenes that I synced. The other 2 tabs, “New Service” and “Commands” contain no data or variable names. :o[/quote]

Please update plugin…minimum version 0.9 for local control.

Under “Advanced”, “Params” makes no mention of USE_LOCAL, and under “Variables” aside from the fields “DEBUG”, “DELAY” and “ChildCount”, I see only ChildData which appears to be a list of the lights and scenes that I synced. The other 2 tabs, “New Service” and “Commands” contain no data or variable names. :o[/quote]

It is listed under the Variables Tab as shown in my screenshot.

Ok, now I’m really confused. I’ve been using the lifx_ctrl_json.lua and lifx_ctrl.lua from the first post and my Variables tab looks nothing like jmedemar’s.
Copied them over twice so far to be sure and no dice.

Edit: Is it possible that because I have a really long list of devices, I am unable to scroll far enough down to see past the API Key field? It occurred to me that this could be possible because I once had a problem like that in UI5 on a Vera3 a while back while trying to install the original version of the LIFX plugin for my brother on my old unit that I had replaced with the Vera Plus I’m now using. Just a thought.
I’m going to “un-sync” some lights and see what happens. BRB

Edit 2: Nope. Scratch that.

[quote=“Quixote, post:27, topic:199073”]Ok, now I’m really confused. I’ve been using the lifx_ctrl_json.lua and lifx_ctrl.lua from the first post and my Variables tab looks nothing like jmedemar’s.
Copied them over twice so far to be sure and no dice.

Edit: Is it possible that because I have a really long list of devices, I am unable to scroll far enough down to see past the API Key field? It occurred to me that this could be possible because I once had a problem like that in UI5 on a Vera3 a while back while trying to install the original version of the LIFX plugin for my brother on my old unit that I had replaced with the Vera Plus I’m now using. Just a thought.
I’m going to “un-sync” some lights and see what happens. BRB

Edit 2: Nope. Scratch that.[/quote]

I suspect you may not have updated your plugin, which is a separate entity from the scripts.

You hit the nail on the head. I ended up removing the plugin, logging onto the Vera with WinSCP and deleting the old files, reinstalling the plugin and verifying that it is version 0.9, copying the new script files over, recreating the device, entering the API key in settings and syncing the lights again.

I now see the USE_LOCAL variable, but it’s at the top of my list, unlike jmedemar’s screen cap (not that that matters).

Thanks, guys.

@Majimus

Do the LIFX groups still use the cloud to send updates if the USE_LOCAL is set to true? I’m assuming only the individual lights work locally, but would like to confirm. Thank you for the updates.

[quote=“jmedemar, post:30, topic:199073”]@Majimus

Do the LIFX groups still use the cloud to send updates if the USE_LOCAL is set to true? I’m assuming only the individual lights work locally, but would like to confirm. Thank you for the updates.[/quote]

That is correct only individual lights work locally.

Hi Majimus,
I found something that could sort of be considered a bug in the scripting module. Though I know you’re not too keen on working on the script side, thought I’d mention it anyway.
I had a notification script like this:

lifx_ctrl("group:Bedroom,group:Dining Room,group:Kitchen,group:Den,group:Workshop,group:Bathroom","pulse","cyan",1,10,0.3)

and removed one group (Bathroom) from my setup while experiencing some difficulties doing firmware updates and trying to work around the order in which the bulbs were updating. After removing the group, the script no longer worked and I was able to get it working again by removing “,group:Bathroom”. It seems that if a group is included in the script that does not exist, the entire thing fails.
I know, the solution is to not screw up the syntax in your scripts and leave phantom groups. However, I think it would make the plugin even stronger if it were able to ignore little hiccups like that.
What’s your opinion? Thanks

[quote=“Quixote, post:32, topic:199073”]Hi Majimus,
I found something that could sort of be considered a bug in the scripting module. Though I know you’re not too keen on working on the script side, thought I’d mention it anyway.
I had a notification script like this:

lifx_ctrl("group:Bedroom,group:Dining Room,group:Kitchen,group:Den,group:Workshop,group:Bathroom","pulse","cyan",1,10,0.3)

and removed one group (Bathroom) from my setup while experiencing some difficulties doing firmware updates and trying to work around the order in which the bulbs were updating. After removing the group, the script no longer worked and I was able to get it working again by removing “,group:Bathroom”. It seems that if a group is included in the script that does not exist, the entire thing fails.
I know, the solution is to not screw up the syntax in your scripts and leave phantom groups. However, I think it would make the plugin even stronger if it were able to ignore little hiccups like that.
What’s your opinion? Thanks[/quote]

It makes sense that the command would be rejected because the selector has errors. This sounds reasonable to me and is not an issue with the script.

I help with the script because I know how it is when you are using something and then it is no longer updated and then stops working…but I don’t have the time to actively develop neither the script nor plugin (it can take many hours to research, develop and test new features).

:frowning: Well, I know how it is. I just figured that you approach this as I do with my various home automation projects – almost like a tailor-made video game. I’m fed up with the nonsense that they put out these days, so I make my own entertainment: an RPG where leveling up is improving features of my apartment. Life is a bore when you’re running in a hamster wheel, chasing your boss’s carrot. :open_mouth: lol That sounds wrong.
Anyway, let’s just say using scripts is stupid. What are the chances that one day you’ll feel motivated to work these pulse and breath functions into the main plugin so that we can use it for notifications, even though you hate working on it so much? :wink:

Hi Majimus,

Just to say how much I appreciate the work you?ve done on this. I have 15 Lifx bulbs included in my home automation setup, and the dramatic improvement of using the LAN has made a world of difference.

Version 1.0 was released (local control for brightness).

Thanks.

This is a cool plugin. Can I ask one thing. Can you set the Category for the LIFX bulbs as Category 2 which is the Mios standard for Dimmable.

Thanks!

[quote=“jeubanks, post:38, topic:199073”]This is a cool plugin. Can I ask one thing. Can you set the Category for the LIFX bulbs as Category 2 which is the Mios standard for Dimmable.

Thanks![/quote]

Can you please expand a bit as to the reason for this request?

[quote=“Majimus, post:39, topic:199073”][quote=“jeubanks, post:38, topic:199073”]This is a cool plugin. Can I ask one thing. Can you set the Category for the LIFX bulbs as Category 2 which is the Mios standard for Dimmable.

Thanks![/quote]

Can you please expand a bit as to the reason for this request?[/quote]

When interfacing with Vera through the web api it reduces the amount of parsing necessary for device control. A LIFX bulb supports all the standard functions of a dimmable light (category 2) so if it’s registered as a category 2 it’s “auto” controllable. However registering as a “-1” then it has to be parsed out and “guessed” that it is a bulb or not a bulb as other plugins use the “-1” as well.

Example the two Hue plugins (mios and AltHue) both register as category 2 as dimmable which makes them immediately usable by external interfaces (dashboards…)