Linear GD00Z working but not working

I just installed the Linear GD00Z-2, ADT branded. Works but doesn’t work. Connected to the push button connections on my Chamberlain HD900D. Paired successfully, showed up in Vera correctly, and attempt to open from my iPhone and Note 4. It beeps but no opening of Garage door. So i wanted to make sure the door control was wired correctly due to all the wires at the motor are all the same color.

1.Disconnected the wires that should be the door control according to the installation manual.
No power to the controller on the wall.

1. Connect the GD00Z.
    Attempt to open the the garage door. Success! Door opens and closes using the iPhone or Note 4 while in the Vera app.

2. Reconnect the wall controller and the GD00Z to the motor.
    The GD00Z just beeps and does not open or close the door. The tilt sensor works correctly. The wall controller works.

Is there a reason why the the GD00Z won’t work when connected with the door controller at the motor together?

Update: Spliced the GD00Z directly to the door control wires coming from the motor result the same.

Your Chamberlain HD900D Security+ system has a “smart” control panel which does not function as a simple momentary-contact switch, whereas the GD00Z will only work with basic garage door openers that are activated by a simple momentary-contact wall switch. The HD900D instructions state that you cannot even connect two of the same “smart” control panels to the same garage door opener.

Some additional discussion on this topic is found at:
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php?topic=32957.0

Thanks I read that same post a few times and it didn’t click that I had a smart controller. I still don’t understand why it will not work when connected at the motor along with door switch. If connected to the motor by itself it works. I am not connecting the GD00Z to the door controller.

I never understood why the GD00Z would work if you disconnected the button and only connected it to the door, but wouldn’t work with the door button connected, but I saw the same thing… I gave up and basically hacked a wireless remote, soldering across the “buttons” (I have three doors, so I did all three using the same remote and three GD00z’s).

Let me know if you are interested in the details.

Likely the door opener is designed to “sense” that the “smart switch” is connected, and if it senses a “smart switch” is connected it will not respond to a momentary contact switch connected in parallel.

[quote=“stevebus, post:4, topic:189362”]I never understood why the GD00Z would work if you disconnected the button and only connected it to the door, but wouldn’t work with the door button connected, but I saw the same thing… I gave up and basically hacked a wireless remote, soldering across the “buttons” (I have three doors, so I did all three using the same remote and three GD00z’s).

Let me know if you are interested in the details.[/quote]

Stevebus. Yes I am interested in the details. Wife gave permission to buy now I need to get it working due to coming home from work and our Garage door is open after we both swear we shut it when we left for work in the morning.

Sorry for the delay in responding… work, kids, blah, blah blah :slight_smile:

so basically what I did was:

• disassembled the remote (see pics at link below). In my case, I have three garage doors and wanted to control them all through this one remote (with three separate GD00Z’s), so I repeated the 3 steps below three times :slight_smile:
  • I left the battery in at first. I looked to find the back-side of the switch and find the spots where it was soldered on so I could solder a wire across it
  • once I think I found the right spots, I took a wire and temporarily jumped across the switch to see it it would activate the door
  • once I was sure I had the right spot, I pulled the battery, and soldered wires to each ‘side’ of the switch.
  • in my case, I also wanted to not rely on a battery. This is probably overkill, as the remote batteries last for years, but since I was going to mount this on the wall in my garage right next to a power plug anyway, I didn’t want this thing to fail when I was away because the battery died. So I also found the bottom side points where the battery holder connected and soldered on two wires there as well (power and ground)
  • I snipped off the bottom of the remote and ran my wires out through there.
  • soldered the wires to a board with terminals, a 2.1mm barrel connector for the power supply, and a 3.3V regulator (not shown in pic)
  • I connected the wires from my GD00Zs into the correct terminal (in your case, nothing wrong with just soldering the GD00Z wires directly to the remote, but I wanted to make it all removeable in case someday I wanted to replace a GD00Z with something else).
  • plugged it all in an tested it.

Let me know if any of this is unclear. Happy to answer questions.

I tried to post pics here, but there is a ridiculous limitation on sizes, so you can download them from this link:

[url=http://sdbpublicstore.blob.core.windows.net/public/garageremotepics.zip]http://sdbpublicstore.blob.core.windows.net/public/garageremotepics.zip[/url]
(I won’t leave the files there forever, but probably for a few weeks).

one final tip - the Diet Mountain Dew shown in the background of the pics is key to the entire operation :slight_smile:

–Steve

Thanks got the pics. I saw a post where someone did the same with a simple open/close remote. I only have one garage door so I will get a open/close remote and follow your suggestions. Thanks