Logitech harmony ultimate

[quote=“haavard, post:39, topic:175461”]Is there any indication of when a beta could be available?

Regards[/quote]

I hope to have something ready to beta over the next few weeks. :wink:

Yeahhh!

I’m waiting for news!!M

Yes !!! Good news !!

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for your work on this!

If I wanted to try the binary in Vera, how would I go about running it? I know someone posted saying it worked great, but there were no instructions.

[quote=“huveu, post:44, topic:175461”]Thanks for your work on this!

If I wanted to try the binary in Vera, how would I go about running it? I know someone posted saying it worked great, but there were no instructions.[/quote]

aechelon is the developer on this… and of course runs the binary. But it is not released yet as he is still working on it.
So we need to wait till he is ready to be able to install and run it

[quote=“jimpapa, post:45, topic:175461”]aechelon is the developer on this… and of course runs the binary. But it is not released yet as he is still working on it.
So we need to wait till he is ready to be able to install and run it[/quote]

While that is true for a complete plugin. I was interested in seeing if there was a way to run the binary (posted earlier in the thread) from code in a scene.

flyveleder seems to have done it somehow:

[quote=“flyveleder, post:25, topic:175461”]I just tested it on my Vera; Works just as described :slight_smile:

Looking forward to the plugin.

/Martin[/quote]

well… I’ll be darned, So he did… Sorry :slight_smile:

:slight_smile:

[quote=“jimpapa, post:45, topic:175461”][quote=“huveu, post:44, topic:175461”]Thanks for your work on this!

If I wanted to try the binary in Vera, how would I go about running it? I know someone posted saying it worked great, but there were no instructions.[/quote]

aechelon is the developer on this… and of course runs the binary. But it is not released yet as he is still working on it.
So we need to wait till he is ready to be able to install and run it[/quote]

Hi All,

I actually committed the latest snapshot of the binary to Logitech Harmony Hub yesterday. In addition to all the previously-available functionality, this version also provides the ability to execute a single command on a particular device.

I’ve also committed the full Vera development stack (openwrt SDK tar gzip and the source code to cross-compile the binary) since the learning curve to put all that together manually is fairly steep. Note that the development environment must be hosted on a 32-bit Linux O/S. I’ve been using Ubuntu 12.04.

The first cut of the UI is still a little ways off and the whole project could use (a lot) more documentation, but for those of you who want to play with the HarmonyHubControl binary, you can install it manually by SCP’ing it over to your Vera and invoke it directly from your scenes with luup code using os.execute.

The WOL plug-in provides a good example of how to use os.execute. See http://code.mios.com/svn_public/mios_wake-on-lan/tags/1.52%20UI4/I_WOL.xml

The README file in the trunk provides the full command line syntax for the binary.

Executing activities is relatively simple. You first invoke the binary and request a list of activities with parameter list_activities. Once you know the activity ID you’re after, start it with parameters start_activity [ID]. As far as I can tell, the device and activity ID’s are fixed, so you should only need to query them once.

I’m will be adding command line to list all the individual commands for a particular device very soon, but if you want to do that right now you can search through the dump from get_config for the command you’d like to invoke.

The individual commands are packaged along with the device ID to which they apply, and they are grouped by device.
Once you’ve identified the appropriate command and device ID, you can issue the command directly using parameters:

issue_device_command [DEVICE_ID] [DEVICE_COMMAND]

For example, to turn up the volume on my Denon receiver by 0.5 dB I use the following:

HarmonyHubControl [my harmony login email] [my harmony login password] [my harmony hub’s ip address] issue_device_command [ my denon receiver’s ID ] VolumeUp

Stay tuned for more updates!

[quote=“aechelon, post:49, topic:175461”]Hi All,

I actually committed the latest snapshot of the binary to Logitech Harmony Hub yesterday. In addition to all the previously-available functionality, this version also provides the ability to execute a single command on a particular device.

I’ve also committed the full Vera development stack (openwrt SDK tar gzip and the source code to cross-compile the binary) since the learning curve to put all that together manually is fairly steep. Note that the development environment must be hosted on a 32-bit Linux O/S. I’ve been using Ubuntu 12.04.

The first cut of the UI is still a little ways off and the whole project could use (a lot) more documentation, but for those of you who want to play with the HarmonyHubControl binary, you can install it manually by SCP’ing it over to your Vera and invoke it directly from your scenes with luup code using os.execute.

The WOL plug-in provides a good example of how to use os.execute. See http://code.mios.com/svn_public/mios_wake-on-lan/tags/1.52%20UI4/I_WOL.xml

The README file in the trunk provides the full command line syntax for the binary.

Executing activities is relatively simple. You first invoke the binary and request a list of activities with parameter list_activities. Once you know the activity ID you’re after, start it with parameters start_activity [ID]. As far as I can tell, the device and activity ID’s are fixed, so you should only need to query them once.

I’m will be adding command line to list all the individual commands for a particular device very soon, but if you want to do that right now you can search through the dump from get_config for the command you’d like to invoke.

The individual commands are packaged along with the device ID to which they apply, and they are grouped by device.
Once you’ve identified the appropriate command and device ID, you can issue the command directly using parameters:

issue_device_command [DEVICE_ID] [DEVICE_COMMAND]

For example, to turn up the volume on my Denon receiver by 0.5 dB I use the following:

HarmonyHubControl [my harmony login email] [my harmony login password] [my harmony hub’s ip address] issue_device_command [ my denon receiver’s ID ] VolumeUp

Stay tuned for more updates![/quote]

Thanks!! This is exactly what I was looking for ;D

Took me a few minutes to figure this out, learned a few things about the VeraLite (ssh password) and guessed a few things.

I can post all the details tomorrow if anybody else is interested in simple scenes that start activities.

[quote=“huveu, post:51, topic:175461”]Took me a few minutes to figure this out, learned a few things about the VeraLite (ssh password) and guessed a few things.

I can post all the details tomorrow if anybody else is interested in simple scenes that start activities.[/quote]

I think a write-up on this would be helpful even after the plug-in UI is available.

My current thinking for activities in the UI is to list them in the Control panel on main Harmony Hub device and provide a button to start each one (see attachment).

As for the devices, the plug-in will create a Vera device to correspond with each device enumerated by the binary and populate each of those devices with their available commands.

True. I’ll put something together tonight.

[quote=“aechelon, post:52, topic:175461”]My current thinking for activities in the UI is to list them in the Control panel on main Harmony Hub device and provide a button to start each one (see attachment).

As for the devices, the plug-in will create a Vera device to correspond with each device enumerated by the binary and populate each of those devices with their available commands.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. I’m not familiar with how to create plugins and their devices. I’ll try to look into it tonight also, and see if I have time to help with the development of that part (if you are interested).

(if you are interested).

Most definitely!

can i help you ?

As someone who is new to the VeraLite product I’m looking to set up some AV components in addition to the lighting scenarios I already have. This project interests me a lot. Is there any reason that the ultimate would be better or worse than other recommended AV/IR controllers? I have multiple harmony remotes and the setup for them is a breeze which I love and this would seem to incorporate fairly well. I also like the fact that I can still use devices to control without having to rely on the VeraLite.

If I’m looking to buy something I’d like to make sure it’s sustainable going forward rather than buying multiple times. If you were starting out would you recommend this solution (with app when aechelon gets it up and running) or going with something like the sq blaster plus? It’s all a learning curve for me but you all seem to know what this would offer over other methods of control.

I love the fact you guys are working on this as it makes my recent VeraLite purchase seem like the right decision over other HA controllers.

In short: Yes.

The major benefit of the Logitech over other IR solutions is that there is already a large user base with a growing library consisting of a substantial number of supported devices, to which Logitech is adding daily. It also doesn’t hurt the the Harmony Hub supports both IR devices and bluetooth devices such us the PS3.

It’s unfortunate that Logitech lacked the foresight to publish an open API, but that hurdle has been overcome now and the Vera plug-in will make usage even easier.

My $0.02.

That was my thought process as well, but having never dug into the HA scene and only minimal coding or electrical impacts I wasn’t sure if I was opening the pandoras box going with something that isn’t integrated into Mios like the sqblaster. I might pick up the ultimate now and set it up without the plugin to get the wife and kids on board with using it.

One further question, it shouldn’t matter if someone buys the 8 device or the 15 device ultimate that comes with the one should it? I assume not since it’s all passing via the plugin and myharmony account eventually, but thought I’d ask.

Keep up the good work.

Given the $200+ price difference between the devices I’d stick with the 8-device and expand by adding another hub if/when it’s required.

The Vera will talk to multiple hubs as well as it talks to just one and even Logitech’s native smartphone apps support connecting to multiple hubs.

If and when there’s a need to add another hub it’s be as simple as adding the device to the Vera and using the multiple hubs in tandem in scenes to perform any given function.

Again, my $0.02.

Also, there’s always this hack to circumvent Logitech’s arbitrary device limit. :wink: