lua string compare

Looking to see best way to compare strings.

local EVENT_MESSAGE = “Good Washing Everyone”
if (string.starts(EVENT_MESSAGE,“Good”)) then
return true
else
return false
end

But I do not think the function string.starts works in Vera. I can use string.len and string.format, but does not look like “starts” or “ends” function work.

Does anyone know best way to see if two strings are the same or contain a word?

For pure equality, just use the == operator.

For partial matches, use string.match() or string.find(), see

https://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-string.match

You’ll need to master Lua pattern strings (really a subset of regular expressions.)

https://www.lua.org/manual/5.1/manual.html#pdf-string.upper

Thanks I will use this.

local EVENT_MESSAGE = “Good Morning”
local RESULT = string.match (EVENT_MESSAGE, “Morning” )
if ( RESULT == nil) then
return “Did not Find”
else
return “Found result”
end

Was thinking we could use more of lua and this seems common, but I guess not.

Sorry, don’t understand. This is all Lua.

My goal was to use a standard lua function like this:

string.starts()

But that function does not appear to work or is not available in vera lua. When I run it it does not work and gives error.

Goal was to have function that returned true or false. Based on your comments I decided to use another function that is in vara lua.

Using the string.match() function, I can achieve same end goal. Look at string and see if a sub string exist with in it.

From what I can tell, vera lua is not 100% same as core lua. Not big deal, but the reason I posted question.

[quote=“kyle.dawson, post:5, topic:200434”]My goal was to use a standard lua function like this:

string.starts()

But that function does not appear to work or is not available in vera lua. When I run it it does not work and gives error.

Goal was to have function that returned true or false. Based on your comments I decided to use another function that is in vara lua.

Using the string.match() function, I can achieve same end goal. Look at string and see if a sub string exist with in it.

From what I can tell, vera lua is not 100% same as core lua. Not big deal, but the reason I posted question.[/quote]

I think what akbooer is trying to convey is that Vera Lua is real Lua (Lua 5.1), and string.starts() is not real Lua, it’s a Corona extension.

Oh, I see now. Good point. Did not see that before. Thanks for clarification.