MIOS Acquisition

I see allot of mentions about pleg and a few about reactor but what about rules engine in altui? It’s a graphical method of creating some quite complex automations by just drag n drop. I believe it’s more powerful than native scenes (and reactor/delaylight) and much simpler than pleg , although probably not as powerful (I have never tried pleg myself as everything I have conceived I can do with rules engine)

I agree with much others have said. I have stuck with Vera rather than jumping ship but it has always been frustratingly close to being really goes, but not quite getting there. I do think the focus on keeping it cheap has hampered it making those quite small but critical steps to be really good and therefore fulfill its incredible market potential. For me a little more cost up front or a small monthly subscription would not matter in exchange for the big extras achievable. IFTTT integration is an example where, because of not being prepared the pay up-front fee, this has never arrived. Many of us offered to pay to get it.

My top 4 wishes are:-

1. Native 433 MHz device integration. I have always used RFXTRX433 but it is an awkward integration. The devices are so much cheaper. For instance I buy automated plug sockets for GBP5.00 whereas. Z-Wave would be GBP35.00 upwards
  2. Complete the bi-directional IFTTT channel. I use outbound but additional g Inbound would expand the Vera HA ecosystem enormously at no cost
  3. Simplify making multi-condition scenes possible without using PLEG
  4. Make creating data logging easy. Such as for energy usage. Output to industry standards such as XLS or CSV. I have never managed to make any plug-in work

Good luck in taking MIOS forward. It has so much potential to smash all the opposition out of the park, if only it would invest more

Welcome Melih!
An important part of your recipe for success will be automated regression tests, and thousands of them. Hopefully you have that included in your resource budget. As your developer heads increase, a continuous build system will certainly help achieve a 6 month release cycle if so desired.

P.S.
I locked my system in Ui5 because it is Rock solid and I am TOTALLY happy with it’s solid operation. Would love to have more modern day features but it has a task and I never have to “dork” with the system…it just works! Plus, I don’t have time to dork with it if I had to.

Good luck and will be checking in every few months to see progress
/Z/

Btw, in my surprise at the ownership change and impressive engagement levels you’ve brought to the company, I completely forgot to say Welcome! I really wish you all the success possible with Vera - it has huge potential to be the leading Consumer HAC if the right decisions are made.

Please dont move away from the Local controller model though, this is a key strength of the Vera platform - not having to rely on cloud services is why many of us bought Vera HAC’s in the first place.[/quote]

Thank you!

Most definitely, local controller is a much needed functionality. We aim to be a platform company, as such we must service different use cases and profiles. Local controller is an important use case for us. We will strengthen it further.

[quote=“aPL, post:94, topic:199656”]My top wishes would be

1. Stability - cut the engine in multiple pieces so something breaking does not take the whole vera offline or cause a full restart

2. Repeatability - same action should end up with the same result every time IN THE SAME AMOUNT OF TIME - most issues I’ve had with automation (by looking at how non-technical people around me use it) is the irregular duration for things, If pushing a button does something in the 2-3 second range it’s not acceptable to sometimes take 10 seconds - only causes confusion and frustation. I’d rather have the action take one extra second always, than fluctuate all the time

3. Websocket or mqtt (or anything else that can have a single connection for multiple streams of data and with no polling)

4. Https / ssl / tls on the local controller, even if it’s self signed

5. Api keys or firewall/whitelist/blacklist for the api so i don’t have to vlan vera to secure it (most people won’t do anything like it)

6. An option to turn off MiOS cloud service integration (and disable anything related to it), or to select only the features I want

7. No more restarts every X time - this is basically wish #0 but I would write #0 a hundred times…[/quote]

There is local code and cloud code…(at very basic level)…

The dissection has already started…
We already have a plan to move the cloud into a micro-services architecture…this is the best way for cloud for now…
for the local code (eg: code running in the hardware)…hmm…dunno where to start…bear with us…you will have the best is all i can say…but first we will make sure it runs smoothly then we will change the architecture to be a scaleable one…we are on it!

1 Like

[quote=“adamhay, post:96, topic:199656”]I agree with much others have said. I have stuck with Vera rather than jumping ship but it has always been frustratingly close to being really goes, but not quite getting there. I do think the focus on keeping it cheap has hampered it making those quite small but critical steps to be really good and therefore fulfill its incredible market potential. For me a little more cost up front or a small monthly subscription would not matter in exchange for the big extras achievable. IFTTT integration is an example where, because of not being prepared the pay up-front fee, this has never arrived. Many of us offered to pay to get it.

My top 4 wishes are:-

1. Native 433 MHz device integration. I have always used RFXTRX433 but it is an awkward integration. The devices are so much cheaper. For instance I buy automated plug sockets for GBP5.00 whereas. Z-Wave would be GBP35.00 upwards
  2. Complete the bi-directional IFTTT channel. I use outbound but additional g Inbound would expand the Vera HA ecosystem enormously at no cost
  3. Simplify making multi-condition scenes possible without using PLEG
  4. Make creating data logging easy. Such as for energy usage. Output to industry standards such as XLS or CSV. I have never managed to make any plug-in work

Good luck in taking MIOS forward. It has so much potential to smash all the opposition out of the park, if only it would invest more[/quote]

Thank you. We have more than doubled the engineering resources already. You will see a huge positive change.

We did.

Melih, what is your answer?[/quote]

Melih, why are you not answering this one?

Melih, why are you not answering this one?[/quote]

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,103093.0.html

[quote=“Thorden, post:92, topic:199656”][quote=“dJOS, post:85, topic:199656”][quote=“zedrally, post:61, topic:199656”]PLEG:
without doubt he single most valuable PI available.[/quote]

…[/quote]

… But it needs to be a lot more intuitive and user friendly than PLEG, or they will miss the target completely…[/quote]

Agreed. PLEG is not the answer to reach out to more users

[quote=“kigmatzomat, post:11, topic:199656”]…
Right now, a lot of users would be happy if UI8 was UI5 with support for the current zwave feature set.

And if vera developers keep leaving, you lose the device support that makes you feature comparable to HomeSeer and more appealing than Hubitat (which is currently siphoning users away from SmartThings).
…[/quote]

[quote=“melih, post:27, topic:199656”]…
Our intention is to give you an ecosystem where developers can build any home automation applications and works with everything around home automation world.
…[/quote]

I am not a Developer of Vera software (or any software), but have conversed with a number of Vera developers and they seem to hold Vera in distain. Deprecating API’s without notice. Not developing new API’s to support Developers. Difficult process to post new/updated plug-ins.

I would suggest that you reach out directly to every past/present Developer of Vera plug-ins and ask them for their input.

I have experienced pretty closely, the acquisition of software companies by another software company. The primary benefit of these acquisitions is to “capture” clients, rather than to improve the acquired software.

As exhibit “A”, I would point out the new owners emphasis on a new UI, otherwise known as window dressing. A new UI immediately after an acquisition is usually intended more to get the new product integrated into the new owners existing suite of tools and products, and to demonstrate that the new owners really want to invest in the product so that existing users do not view this as an opportunity to jump ship to another platform. This posting may seem cynical and I don’t mean it to be. I do believe that the new owners are well intentioned and will provide a net benefit to Vera users.

However, I would like to see a more bold and robust approach. If much of the old hardware (prior to VeraPlus) and software must be abandoned, then so be it.

You can only improve a product for so long before you need to throw it out and start over, using new tools, software, and methodologies. Entirely new platforms like Hubitat are cleaner and more agile going forward. Having purchased the Vera user base, I would like to see the new owners abandon UI7 and pre-VeraPlus hardware immediately, and release a UI8 (in 6 months) that does nothing but provide stability and device support to users on VeraPlus (or newer) hardware. Then release a UIX (6-12 months later) that dramatically rethinks and re-implements what a HA controller (hardware and software) should be.

sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.

[quote=“dmevis, post:108, topic:199656”]I have experienced pretty closely, the acquisition of software companies by another software company. The primary benefit of these acquisitions is to “capture” clients, rather than to improve the acquired software.

As exhibit “A”, I would point out the new owners emphasis on a new UI, otherwise known as window dressing. A new UI immediately after an acquisition is usually intended more to get the new product integrated into the new owners existing suite of tools and products, and to demonstrate that the new owners really want to invest in the product so that existing users do not view this as an opportunity to jump ship to another platform. This posting may seem cynical and I don’t mean it to be. I do believe that the new owners are well intentioned and will provide a net benefit to Vera users.

However, I would like to see a more bold and robust approach. If much of the old hardware (prior to VeraPlus) and software must be abandoned, then so be it.

You can only improve a product for so long before you need to throw it out and start over, using new tools, software, and methodologies. Entirely new platforms like Hubitat are cleaner and more agile going forward. Having purchased the Vera user base, I would like to see the new owners abandon UI7 and pre-VeraPlus hardware immediately, and release a UI8 (in 6 months) that does nothing but provide stability and device support to users on VeraPlus (or newer) hardware. Then release a UIX (6-12 months later) that dramatically rethinks and re-implements what a HA controller (hardware and software) should be.[/quote]

Everything must be improved! Firmware, cloud, platform architecture, customer care, UI and so on…
Now, there is no point in us discussing how to build a cloud infrastructure with our users, we know how to do that.
no point in discussion how our RTOS should work, we are experts at that…
But UI is directly visible for our end users therefore something we can share with you for your input…
So pls do not jump to conclusion because we only share UI that is the only improvement we are making… You would be mistaken.

sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.[/quote]

Can you specify “security services” please?

@Sender: since I answered your question on the other thread, assume you have the answer? Anything else I can answer?
sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.[/quote]

Can you specify “security services” please?[/quote]

I’m using a Vera2 sinds 2010, had to replace it with a Vera3 in jan 2015 (after our house electronics suffered from a lightning strike)
Still running UI5 it communicates with MySensors and RF433Mhz modules controlling over 60 devices build some of my own user interfaces (internal and external hosted) and it runs rock solid stable.

Things missing:

• more complex scenes (if then else, and or)
  • device history logging facilities (status of switch last 24h, temperature logging etc.)
  • better alert system (push messaging)
  • presence detection (is someone @ home)

Next to that: i have some improvement ideas for the UI api to speed up UI on simple (small CPU) devices and smartphone apps

[quote=“BartEv, post:113, topic:199656”]I’m using a Vera2 sinds 2010, had to replace it with a Vera3 in jan 2015 (after our house electronics suffered from a lightning strike)
Still running UI5 it communicates with MySensors and RF433Mhz modules controlling over 60 devices build some of my own user interfaces (internal and external hosted) and it runs rock solid stable.

Things missing:

• more complex scenes (if then else, and or)
  • device history logging facilities (status of switch last 24h, temperature logging etc.)
  • better alert system (push messaging)
  • presence detection (is someone @ home)

Next to that: i have some improvement ideas for the UI api to speed up UI on simple (small CPU) devices and smartphone apps[/quote]

Please tell us everything you want …we are happy to oblige.