MIOS Acquisition

just seeing this, been here before - sigh, i know how its gonna turn out - sigh, i just spent so much time with this thing

@RichieB
Hang in there at this point. I believe good times a coming.

Too late for me now, I got mu Hubitat hub up and running and so far so good. Lightning fast, all local!
Used a tool to set new parameters on my zwave devices. Takes milliseconds for the new config to go to devices. Not minutes with Vera.
Turning on a light is instant. Before I get my finger off the button, it’s on.

So far I’m a happy camper.

This is pitch-perfect, Sender. I agree, completely.

The amount of enthusiasm present within these forums serve as a clear reminder. Our community represents one of our greatest assets as a company, and a brand.

That’s acknowledged. At the very highest levels of eZLO (read: Melih). The reinvestment into this forum is long, long overdue. I look forward to watching it flourish.

Some overview of planned support for specific Z-Wave devices would be nice to have as well in addition to a bug tracker. A simple list showing Identified, Planned, Testing, Supported for each so that we can at least see where we stand with regards to device support.

I’ve asked about (or looked for) support for a couple of devices in the past, on the forum as well as through the help desk. The official replies are generally uninformative and unhelpful; often there’s no reply at all. That doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in the company’s commitment to support all z-wave devices.

I?ve been a long time user of Vera, and have put a lot of time and my life?s automation into it. I?m pleased to see the company evolve, and have the opportunity for further investment.

My natural concern and it?s likely inevitable (as it?s a business after all) is that we will see the introduction of some sort of paywall. Where to do certain things, your have to enable x & y, and pay for certain apps etc.

For me, the most amazing thing about my time using Vera has been this community, it has helped me do and learn so much. Their contribution has helped the product grow/even survive - the talent people who have passed through this forum has been amazing. (Many of which have been lost due to continual frustration with the product)

Just thinking about my own situation - I for one never thought I would be able to code anything, until I needed Vera to do something specific and it kicked me off on a programming journey of discovery with this community - they have basically taught me Lua :slight_smile:

I?m a glass half full kind of guy, so I try to look at the positives in everything, and investment and a good strategy are key to success in this area of consumer technology - but with so much open source and community driven solutions out there now - achieving a balance of free contribution/enjoyment and reaching a required revenue is a tough combination.

I wish eZLO/Melih the very best, and Im already looking forward to the journey ahead…

One thing I can assure you is, you will be paying less than today for receiving more than today!

Is mios going to give me money every month ;D? I pay 0 every month now…

Is mios going to give me money every month ;D? I pay 0 every month now…[/quote]

You paid for the product once didn’t you? How much did you pay?

I bought 3 veras in the past. Around 500 to 600 euro over 9 years

Curious about this, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to or can’t, but how are you going to make money doing that?

1. There was already so much margin that adding engineers to support it and work on development is not a big hit? Not likely.
  2. You expect to ramp up the volume much higher than currently?
  3. There is some other funding source that is willing to dump money here - for how long?
  4. There are other users (not home users) of this platform that will be funding development?
  5. Other magic?

Quality engineering and support is not cheap.

Exactly, and I am more than happy to pay for those.

Well I will try to make it half the price of that…give you more…over 9 years!

Curious about this, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to or can’t, but how are you going to make money doing that?

1. There was already so much margin that adding engineers to support it and work on development is not a big hit? Not likely.
  2. You expect to ramp up the volume much higher than currently?
  3. There is some other funding source that is willing to dump money here - for how long?
  4. There are other users (not home users) of this platform that will be funding development?
  5. Other magic?

Quality engineering and support is not cheap.[/quote]

We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.

The one thing that surprises me… is that you chose Vera as a starting point.

It also seems to me that if you manage to address even half of what folks here have been asking for, then you won’t end up with anything like Vera either.

I watch in awe…

[quote=“melih, post:131, topic:199656”]We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.[/quote]

With that platform approach, are you seeing any hardware? Or are we looking at tablet, phone based software only.

The one thing that surprises me… is that you chose Vera as a starting point.

It also seems to me that if you manage to address even half of what folks here have been asking for, then you won’t end up with anything like Vera either.

I watch in awe…[/quote]

Vera is a perfect choice for a platform actually! Thats why we choose it. We want platform and Vera is perfect for it. It just needs a lot of TLC :slight_smile:

[quote=“lastmacuser, post:133, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:131, topic:199656”]We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.[/quote]

With that platform approach, are you seeing any hardware? Or are we looking at tablet, phone based software only.[/quote]

Totally, a lot of hardware! I see us innovating cost effective hardware and push it to market via our partners.

Yes. That’s why I chose it in the first place too.

We want platform and Vera is perfect for it. It just needs a lot of TLC :)

…and that’s why I reverse-engineered it when I wrote openLuup :wink:

I’ve been down that path, but not for commercial purposes!

A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.
Will it be something totally different or will it be recycled Vera’s?

[quote=“zedrally, post:137, topic:199656”]A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.
Will it be something totally different or will it be recycled Vera’s?[/quote]

Totally new platform. We will have multiple different variation.

1)With our RTOS
2)With Linux

We will have different chipsets for different platforms providing us with ability to cut costs.