MIOS Acquisition

Exactly, and I am more than happy to pay for those.

Well I will try to make it half the price of that…give you more…over 9 years!

Curious about this, and you don’t have to answer if you don’t want to or can’t, but how are you going to make money doing that?

1. There was already so much margin that adding engineers to support it and work on development is not a big hit? Not likely.
  2. You expect to ramp up the volume much higher than currently?
  3. There is some other funding source that is willing to dump money here - for how long?
  4. There are other users (not home users) of this platform that will be funding development?
  5. Other magic?

Quality engineering and support is not cheap.[/quote]

We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.

The one thing that surprises me… is that you chose Vera as a starting point.

It also seems to me that if you manage to address even half of what folks here have been asking for, then you won’t end up with anything like Vera either.

I watch in awe…

[quote=“melih, post:131, topic:199656”]We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.[/quote]

With that platform approach, are you seeing any hardware? Or are we looking at tablet, phone based software only.

The one thing that surprises me… is that you chose Vera as a starting point.

It also seems to me that if you manage to address even half of what folks here have been asking for, then you won’t end up with anything like Vera either.

I watch in awe…[/quote]

Vera is a perfect choice for a platform actually! Thats why we choose it. We want platform and Vera is perfect for it. It just needs a lot of TLC :slight_smile:

[quote=“lastmacuser, post:133, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:131, topic:199656”]We have a different business model…We believe the future of home automation is in being a platform and not selling hardware.
We will make money from other services that requires home automation…We see many brand new services from home security to facial recognition to many other services being common place in the future. We want our platform to create an ecosystem to provide these services.[/quote]

With that platform approach, are you seeing any hardware? Or are we looking at tablet, phone based software only.[/quote]

Totally, a lot of hardware! I see us innovating cost effective hardware and push it to market via our partners.

Yes. That’s why I chose it in the first place too.

We want platform and Vera is perfect for it. It just needs a lot of TLC :)

…and that’s why I reverse-engineered it when I wrote openLuup :wink:

I’ve been down that path, but not for commercial purposes!

A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.
Will it be something totally different or will it be recycled Vera’s?

[quote=“zedrally, post:137, topic:199656”]A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.
Will it be something totally different or will it be recycled Vera’s?[/quote]

Totally new platform. We will have multiple different variation.

1)With our RTOS
2)With Linux

We will have different chipsets for different platforms providing us with ability to cut costs.

[quote=“melih, post:138, topic:199656”][quote=“zedrally, post:137, topic:199656”]A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.

1)With our RTOS
2)With Linux

We will have different chipsets for different platforms providing us with ability to cut costs.[/quote]

Are the Vera HAC’s eg Plus going to get moved to your RTOS?

Personally I think OpenWRT is half the problem the Vera HAC’s.

[quote=“dJOS, post:139, topic:199656”][quote=“melih, post:138, topic:199656”][quote=“zedrally, post:137, topic:199656”]A lot has been written about firmware, I’m wondering what hardware is to be used.

1)With our RTOS
2)With Linux

We will have different chipsets for different platforms providing us with ability to cut costs.[/quote]

Are the Vera HAC’s eg Plus going to get moved to your RTOS?

Personally I think OpenWRT is half the problem the Vera HAC’s.[/quote]

Yes, thats the idea…We are thinking of re-writing the luup engine plus updating it on our own RTOS and systems…this way, it will be much more efficient, fast, optimized and updated with new features while still providing backward compatibility.

[quote=“melih, post:140, topic:199656”][quote=“dJOS, post:139, topic:199656”]Are the Vera HAC’s eg Plus going to get moved to your RTOS?

Personally I think OpenWRT is half the problem the Vera HAC’s.[/quote]

Yes, thats the idea…We are thinking of re-writing the luup engine plus updating it on our own RTOS and systems…this way, it will be much more efficient, fast, optimized and updated with new features while still providing backward compatibility.[/quote]

Fantastic, that is great news!

Hi,

I am a bit puzzled. New firmware OS is nice, but I read that will be for new hardware models only. Not the currently supported. Same time I read that the models from Edge up are powerful enough for their purpose. Mine run at 20-25% with a number of plugins that process quite a bit of data, so i see that too.

So, will need to buy new controllers soon for all this, or can we keep what we have? I know migrating a controller to a new one can get you in a log of trouble, especially with battery devices, so I would like to postpone that for as long as I can. Needing to buy a new controller, may also make a lot of people look at other options out there. Hence, making it all work with the current hardware keeps you your customers.

Cheers Rene

[quote=“reneboer, post:142, topic:199656”]Hi,

I am a bit puzzled. New firmware OS is nice, but I read that will be for new hardware models only. Not the currently supported. Same time I read that the models from Edge up are powerful enough for their purpose. Mine run at 20-25% with a number of plugins that process quite a bit of data, so i see that too.

So, will need to buy new controllers soon for all this, or can we keep what we have? I know migrating a controller to a new one can get you in a log of trouble, especially with battery devices, so I would like to postpone that for as long as I can. Needing to buy a new controller, may also make a lot of people look at other options out there. Hence, making it all work with the current hardware keeps you your customers.

Cheers Rene[/quote]

We will continue to support old versions as long as possible.

Can you indicate which existing models will get replatformed using your rtos?

we will not put our RTOS in old hardware.

We have new hardware that these RTOS run on.

We have new hardware that these RTOS run on.[/quote]

Oh that’s disappointing - you seemed to indicate otherwise earlier.

So does that mean we are stuck with OpenWRT on existing Vera HAC’s?

That indicates that Vera as we know it is end of life with new models waiting in the wings?

We have new hardware that these RTOS run on.[/quote]

Oh that’s disappointing - you seemed to indicate otherwise earlier.

So does that mean we are stuck with OpenWRT on existing Vera HAC’s?[/quote]

We will fix, improve the current firmware…
but we can’t put our RTOS on it…
So, there will most definitely be huge improvements…but the question was merely where the new RTOS could live…