MIOS Acquisition

We did.

Melih, what is your answer?[/quote]

Melih, why are you not answering this one?

Melih, why are you not answering this one?[/quote]

http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,103093.0.html

[quote=“Thorden, post:92, topic:199656”][quote=“dJOS, post:85, topic:199656”][quote=“zedrally, post:61, topic:199656”]PLEG:
without doubt he single most valuable PI available.[/quote]

…[/quote]

… But it needs to be a lot more intuitive and user friendly than PLEG, or they will miss the target completely…[/quote]

Agreed. PLEG is not the answer to reach out to more users

[quote=“kigmatzomat, post:11, topic:199656”]…
Right now, a lot of users would be happy if UI8 was UI5 with support for the current zwave feature set.

And if vera developers keep leaving, you lose the device support that makes you feature comparable to HomeSeer and more appealing than Hubitat (which is currently siphoning users away from SmartThings).
…[/quote]

[quote=“melih, post:27, topic:199656”]…
Our intention is to give you an ecosystem where developers can build any home automation applications and works with everything around home automation world.
…[/quote]

I am not a Developer of Vera software (or any software), but have conversed with a number of Vera developers and they seem to hold Vera in distain. Deprecating API’s without notice. Not developing new API’s to support Developers. Difficult process to post new/updated plug-ins.

I would suggest that you reach out directly to every past/present Developer of Vera plug-ins and ask them for their input.

I have experienced pretty closely, the acquisition of software companies by another software company. The primary benefit of these acquisitions is to “capture” clients, rather than to improve the acquired software.

As exhibit “A”, I would point out the new owners emphasis on a new UI, otherwise known as window dressing. A new UI immediately after an acquisition is usually intended more to get the new product integrated into the new owners existing suite of tools and products, and to demonstrate that the new owners really want to invest in the product so that existing users do not view this as an opportunity to jump ship to another platform. This posting may seem cynical and I don’t mean it to be. I do believe that the new owners are well intentioned and will provide a net benefit to Vera users.

However, I would like to see a more bold and robust approach. If much of the old hardware (prior to VeraPlus) and software must be abandoned, then so be it.

You can only improve a product for so long before you need to throw it out and start over, using new tools, software, and methodologies. Entirely new platforms like Hubitat are cleaner and more agile going forward. Having purchased the Vera user base, I would like to see the new owners abandon UI7 and pre-VeraPlus hardware immediately, and release a UI8 (in 6 months) that does nothing but provide stability and device support to users on VeraPlus (or newer) hardware. Then release a UIX (6-12 months later) that dramatically rethinks and re-implements what a HA controller (hardware and software) should be.

sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.

[quote=“dmevis, post:108, topic:199656”]I have experienced pretty closely, the acquisition of software companies by another software company. The primary benefit of these acquisitions is to “capture” clients, rather than to improve the acquired software.

As exhibit “A”, I would point out the new owners emphasis on a new UI, otherwise known as window dressing. A new UI immediately after an acquisition is usually intended more to get the new product integrated into the new owners existing suite of tools and products, and to demonstrate that the new owners really want to invest in the product so that existing users do not view this as an opportunity to jump ship to another platform. This posting may seem cynical and I don’t mean it to be. I do believe that the new owners are well intentioned and will provide a net benefit to Vera users.

However, I would like to see a more bold and robust approach. If much of the old hardware (prior to VeraPlus) and software must be abandoned, then so be it.

You can only improve a product for so long before you need to throw it out and start over, using new tools, software, and methodologies. Entirely new platforms like Hubitat are cleaner and more agile going forward. Having purchased the Vera user base, I would like to see the new owners abandon UI7 and pre-VeraPlus hardware immediately, and release a UI8 (in 6 months) that does nothing but provide stability and device support to users on VeraPlus (or newer) hardware. Then release a UIX (6-12 months later) that dramatically rethinks and re-implements what a HA controller (hardware and software) should be.[/quote]

Everything must be improved! Firmware, cloud, platform architecture, customer care, UI and so on…
Now, there is no point in us discussing how to build a cloud infrastructure with our users, we know how to do that.
no point in discussion how our RTOS should work, we are experts at that…
But UI is directly visible for our end users therefore something we can share with you for your input…
So pls do not jump to conclusion because we only share UI that is the only improvement we are making… You would be mistaken.

sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.[/quote]

Can you specify “security services” please?

@Sender: since I answered your question on the other thread, assume you have the answer? Anything else I can answer?
sorry didn’t see it…the hardware will be pay once of course…if you buy security services of course there will be a charge…our intention is to make home automation affordable and a no brainer.[/quote]

Can you specify “security services” please?[/quote]

I’m using a Vera2 sinds 2010, had to replace it with a Vera3 in jan 2015 (after our house electronics suffered from a lightning strike)
Still running UI5 it communicates with MySensors and RF433Mhz modules controlling over 60 devices build some of my own user interfaces (internal and external hosted) and it runs rock solid stable.

Things missing:

• more complex scenes (if then else, and or)
  • device history logging facilities (status of switch last 24h, temperature logging etc.)
  • better alert system (push messaging)
  • presence detection (is someone @ home)

Next to that: i have some improvement ideas for the UI api to speed up UI on simple (small CPU) devices and smartphone apps

[quote=“BartEv, post:113, topic:199656”]I’m using a Vera2 sinds 2010, had to replace it with a Vera3 in jan 2015 (after our house electronics suffered from a lightning strike)
Still running UI5 it communicates with MySensors and RF433Mhz modules controlling over 60 devices build some of my own user interfaces (internal and external hosted) and it runs rock solid stable.

Things missing:

• more complex scenes (if then else, and or)
  • device history logging facilities (status of switch last 24h, temperature logging etc.)
  • better alert system (push messaging)
  • presence detection (is someone @ home)

Next to that: i have some improvement ideas for the UI api to speed up UI on simple (small CPU) devices and smartphone apps[/quote]

Please tell us everything you want …we are happy to oblige.

Can you say anything about the schedule? When will these (very good) changes start to surface?

When is release of UI8 planned?

[quote=“Forzaalfa, post:115, topic:199656”]Can you say anything about the schedule? When will these (very good) changes start to surface?

When is release of UI8 planned?[/quote]

I am trying to build the systems, processes etc so that when we say something we can deliver on time.
At the moment engineering has amazing people, but lack the processes due to lack of engineering management. We are putting all these in now. Today i can’t give you a date. But soon we will be able to give you dates and deliver them on time.

[quote=“melih, post:116, topic:199656”][quote=“Forzaalfa, post:115, topic:199656”]Can you say anything about the schedule? When will these (very good) changes start to surface?

When is release of UI8 planned?[/quote]

I am trying to build the systems, processes etc so that when we say something we can deliver on time.
At the moment engineering has amazing people, but lack the processes due to lack of engineering management. We are putting all these in now. Today i can’t give you a date. But soon we will be able to give you dates and deliver them on time.[/quote]

I am having a “Marc Shenker Deja vu” Melih, you communicate in the same passionate way. I hope you are able to achieve what you promise! Thanks for your enthusiasm!

Lol, Thanks! We do have an amazing team, we will achieve great things, just matter of time!

just seeing this, been here before - sigh, i know how its gonna turn out - sigh, i just spent so much time with this thing

@RichieB
Hang in there at this point. I believe good times a coming.

Too late for me now, I got mu Hubitat hub up and running and so far so good. Lightning fast, all local!
Used a tool to set new parameters on my zwave devices. Takes milliseconds for the new config to go to devices. Not minutes with Vera.
Turning on a light is instant. Before I get my finger off the button, it’s on.

So far I’m a happy camper.