Mirrored Smart Bulb Switches

A few months ago I asked for some help with mirroring switches so I could control Hue bulbs in rooms with more than 1 switch. The original thread is here:

It’s been working pretty well but sometime it looks like not all the switches get the signal. So if I turn a switch on, all of the bulbs and only one of the other two switches turns on. Or all the switches turn on but only 4 of the 6 bulbs turns on. Is there a way to accurately diagnose what is happening? Do I maybe need a small delay somewhere? I’m wondering if it only happens when there is other zwave traffic that gets in the way or something.

You say “smart bulb”… which makes me thing they are not Z-Wave, but something else… Hue?

Yes Hue bulbs. The bulbs and switches are wired directly from the house (the switches are not connected to the bulbs). When you activate a switch Reactor tells the other switches and hue bulbs to match the dimming level.

That’s a lot of extra plumbing in the communication, unfortunately. As experiments, you could try the following (separately, in different experiments/periods):

1. Repeating the actions after a short delay (may catch occasionally missed commands);
  2. Inserting delays between each action (may handle overruns of the Hue plugin or hub if too many commands are issued at once).

Thanks, that about what I was thinking. So I guess there is no way to tell exactly what is happening when it fails. I assume I could just copy the reactor switch and use a short delay at the beginning of the activities in the second one.

Just stack the actions in the one activity:

• Turn light A on
  • Turn light B on
  • Delay a few seconds
  • Turn light A on
  • Turn light B on

…or…

• Turn light A on
  • Delay 1 second
  • Turn light B on

I have the bulbs set to activate, then the switch at the end. It looks like putting a 1 second delay before the switch commands is working.