Motorised Gate Control

Hi all,
I hope someone can point me in the right direction
I’m in the process of installing a BFT Ares Ultra BT A1500 sliding gate motor I have also installed a BFT BEBA Z-Wave module P111535 which is basically plug and play which should allow me to control the gate operation through Vera, but it dont. I can pair the module to my Vera plus UI7 via the Generic Z-Wave devise option and it is recognized as a WindowCovering:1 device however none of the buttons function and after it has retryed 5 times it generates a random error code then reports device not detected

I have paired to a Smartthings hub and it does work to some extent so I know the module is working fine. Smartthings sees it as a Z-wave Switch Secure and so only has one button on/off which when I press sends the close command to the motor but it does not appear to receive or recognize confirmation that the action has completed.

The instructions for the module are pretty much useless the only information it provides is the following

The module is programmed as Node Types - Enhanced Slave
Z-Wave Compatibility
This is a Z-Wave device and can work with other manufacturers? Z-Wave devices.
Supporting Command Classes:
Basic type : BASIC_TYPE_SLAVE
Generic type : GENERIC_TYPE_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
Specific type : SPECIFIC_TYPE_CLASS_A_MOTOR_CONTROL
Class : 0x26 COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL
Class : 0x72 COMMAND_CLASS_MANUFACTURER_SPECIFIC
Class : 0x86 COMMAND_CLASS_VERSION

I’m a hardware guy and software programming is double dutch to me but 9 time out of 10 I can muddle through and edit code if needs be

You will need to ask vera to support this zwave device correctly. Support@getvera.com.
But I doubt it will be done quickly… isn’t there another option to control your gate? I have done it with a simple zwave switch (qubino) and installed the “garage door plugin”. You will need an extra sensor to tell vera the gate status (open close) for that plugin.

On other threads vera is very sure they are going 100% off all available devices onthe market… for what that may be worth.

Are you going to be using the Multilevel feature? Meaning opening and closing the gate only partially? If not, it should be fairly easy to make it work. If it included correctly, trying changing it to a dimmable light and use the binary portion of it. These command classes are fairly standard and should work out of the box if you use the right device type and json file.

If you are going to stick with the window covering, make sure you have the following:

Device file: D_WindowCovering1.xml
Device json: D_WindowCovering1.json
After the device is added and you have them all set. Go to the settings and set the automatically configure option to “no”

I have experienced the paradox of having nearly no officially supported devices and all devices officially supported have been either only for some time and eventually crapped out due to a firmware update or they were catastrophically buggy, forcing me to manually configure them. The unsupported devices tend to actually work better granted they require a bit more work to setup at the beginning.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think the problem is from the fact that it is a secure class device and that the generic inclusion on the vera no longer supports secure class inclusion… Which is quite stupid if you ask me. You somehow have to start a generic secure class inclusion. Maybe try to add it as one of the deadbolts/locks. I had the same problem with a dimmer and ended up using a secondary controller on my network with the same secure class key as the vera and included it with the other controller and manually configured it on the vera. Alternatively, you can ask support to see if they can start a generic secure inclusion on your vera unit remotely for you.

[quote=“Sender, post:2, topic:204530”]You will need to ask vera to support this zwave device correctly. Support@getvera.com.
But I doubt it will be done quickly… isn’t there another option to control your gate? I have done it with a simple zwave switch (qubino) and installed the “garage door plugin”. You will need an extra sensor to tell vera the gate status (open close) for that plugin.

On other threads vera is very sure they are going 100% off all available devices onthe market… for what that may be worth.[/quote]

Thanks I’ll give that a try

[quote=“rafale77, post:3, topic:204530”]Are you going to be using the Multilevel feature? Meaning opening and closing the gate only partially? If not, it should be fairly easy to make it work. If it included correctly, trying changing it to a dimmable light and use the binary portion of it. These command classes are fairly standard and should work out of the box if you use the right device type and json file.

If you are going to stick with the window covering, make sure you have the following:

Device file: D_WindowCovering1.xml
Device json: D_WindowCovering1.json
After the device is added and you have them all set. Go to the settings and set the automatically configure option to “no”

I have experienced the paradox of having nearly no officially supported devices and all devices officially supported have been either only for some time and eventually crapped out due to a firmware update or they were catastrophically buggy, forcing me to manually configure them. The unsupported devices tend to actually work better granted they require a bit more work to setup at the beginning.

Edit: After thinking about it, I think the problem is from the fact that it is a secure class device and that the generic inclusion on the vera no longer supports secure class inclusion… Which is quite stupid if you ask me. You somehow have to start a generic secure class inclusion. Maybe try to add it as one of the deadbolts/locks. I had the same problem with a dimmer and ended up using a secondary controller on my network with the same secure class key as the vera and included it with the other controller and manually configured it on the vera. Alternatively, you can ask support to see if they can start a generic secure inclusion on your vera unit remotely for you.[/quote]

I have tried pairing as a one of the garage door controllers but once paired Vera still see’s it as WindowCovering1 device will get in touch with supprt and see what they have to say

Hi,
Just an update I’d like to thank those who replied to my question and Vera Support. It turned out the solution was that I had to literally sit the Vera Plus on top of the motor. It appears that some secure devices have to be literally next the hub to fully pair.

All I need to know now is how easy is it the amend the device graphics on the GUI so that it appears as a open, close, partial open and stop rather than than up stop down