Multiple Amazon accounts with Alexa Vera skill

We have two Amazon accounts. Has anyone figured out how get the Alexa Vera skill to work on multiple accounts? My wife is a user on my Vera system, but obviously she doesn’t have her own account to set the Vera skill up on.

you have to add her account to the alexa app. it’s basically like adding an “authorized user”
then you can tell alexa to switch accounts. when your wife wants to access her specific content.
i don’t think there is a way to automate based on specific amazon user at this time, but the global stuff should work fine for either account.

I’m not sure I understand. When I set up the Echos, I added her to the Household (Amazon Alexa app/Settings/Accounts). She has her own music library and switches Alexa to her account when she wants to access it, but has no access to the Alexa skill. When I’m in her account on the Alexa app and go to Smart Home, I don’t have the “Vera Smarter Home Control” skill. Since it’s not available from Amazon, how do I get it into her account.

I was able to do it with my two Amazon accounts.

After you’ve set up the Vera Skill and added all the devices to the main Alexa account, sign out of your Alexa account and your Vera account. Then sign into the other (in this case your wife’s) Alexa account. Then go through the Vera Alexa beta setup again. Once that’s complete, you should be able to control your Vera from both profiles on your Echo device.

Due to security reasons, one Vera user can be tied to a single Amazon Alexa account. If you have more than amazon account please create additional users in your Vera account. The benefit is you can give different custom names for devices per Vera user.

Regards,
Vlad

I am unable to figure out where to add a second user to Vera. Tried in the controller, but will not accept. Is that where it must go, or somewhere on the Vera Controller www Dashboard?

I do have two sites w/VeraPlus and about 15 devices and a third w/VeraEdge and 175 devices working really well. The latter is getting upgraded to Plus next week. I am really quite impressed with the Alexa integration; it adds a LOT of value to Vera. Using Lutron RA2, Schlage locks, Aeotec, pool, security system, etc.

My daughter has a Dot with her own account and the Vera skill enabled. Her Alexa devices/scenes list shows everything I would expect. However, when I try to access any device (the thermostat, for instance) via Alexa I’m told, “The hub ‘thermostat’ connected to isn’t responding. Please check the hub.” If I say, “Alexa, switch accounts,” then every subsequent Vera request will work fine.

My daughter is a Basic user on my very system, but that doesn’t seem to make a difference. Should different Alexa accounts with the Vera skill enabled be able to access Vera devices/scenes when those users also have accounts on the Vera hub?

Perhaps I don’t understand the security advisory in the quote above.

Dingfod,

I gave this a try today and got it working with 2 separate Amazon accounts and with my main Vera account and with a “guest” Vera account. Make sure to log into your daughter’s Alexa account with her Vera user’s creds, and then do that same for yours. This should not cause any issues. If you need help, PM me for assistance.

I’m still trying to get this to work. A couple months ago a firmware upgrade on my Vera Edge hosed that device. I upgraded to Vera Plus. My daughter’s Vera account is assigned to the old (bricked) controller. In user management I cannot change her account over to the new controller.

I open the user editor, click the pencil to edit my daughter’s profile, scroll to the bottom, tick the checkbox for my new controller (the only controller shown), and click Save Changes. I can see the button get pressed with my mouse click, but nothing happens. Nothing gets updated or changed.

Further, I am not able to delete this user. I click the trash can, the swirling “wait” icon spins for maybe 10 seconds, and I’m told, “Failed to delete user!” (emphasis Vera’s, not mine).

So I have this user account with my daughter’s e-mail address that’s unable to do anything on my controller. How can I just delete it?

Thanks @edgebinary for the response, by the way!

You should call customer support!

[quote=“dingfod, post:9, topic:196334”]I’m still trying to get this to work. A couple months ago a firmware upgrade on my Vera Edge hosed that device. I upgraded to Vera Plus. My daughter’s Vera account is assigned to the old (bricked) controller. In user management I cannot change her account over to the new controller.

I open the user editor, click the pencil to edit my daughter’s profile, scroll to the bottom, tick the checkbox for my new controller (the only controller shown), and click Save Changes. I can see the button get pressed with my mouse click, but nothing happens. Nothing gets updated or changed.

Further, I am not able to delete this user. I click the trash can, the swirling “wait” icon spins for maybe 10 seconds, and I’m told, “Failed to delete user!” (emphasis Vera’s, not mine).

So I have this user account with my daughter’s e-mail address that’s unable to do anything on my controller. How can I just delete it?

Thanks @edgebinary for the response, by the way![/quote]

I know it sounds like a Vera issue, but have you tried accessing this menu from a different browser? I like to try everything I can on my side before I reach out for help.

I sent mail to Vera last night and they admitted that it’s a known issue for Vera admins to have no ability to edit or delete other users. She offered to delete my daughter on the database end to see if that works. I responded back affirmatively and will wait for her confirmation to verify it works.

On the note of browsers - I did try from Edge, IE, and Chrome on one box, but not from another box. Like you, I thought that maybe the weird UI response I was seeing was goofy browser behavior. Hopefully they’ll be able to fix this from the backend.

Sounds good, man. Odd how I was able to get it to work… Maybe the Vera gods smiled on me that day. :stuck_out_tongue:

It works now! Tech support deleted the account on the back end, I recreated it, disabled/re-enabled the Vera skill on my daughter’s account, picked all the devices & scenes - pure bliss from her account operating Vera devices now. Very pleased!

Side note - a little lame that existing accounts can’t be edited or deleted. I’m wondering if it’s just because it was associated with a controller that’s no longer alive. But, anyway…

I have the same issue with my device as well. Seems like a bug with Vera.

Having the same issue. I have a new Echo registered under my wife?s profile and have added the Vera skill but it doesn?t work. What was the solution?

You pinged this thread at exactly the right time! I’m just adding some more devices to Vera during the holiday. The trick is this: For each profile used on an Amazon device, you need to have a different Vera login.

Example: I have 5 Echo devices in the house. 4 of them use my Amazon profile, 1 of them uses my daughter’s profile. I have my admin login for Vera that I can use with the Vera skill on all 4 of “my” Echo devices. I also created a basic user login on my Vera for my daughter. I then used this secondary login on her Echo device where the Vera skill was installed.

This makes it all work for me.

Caveat: If you try using the same Vera login credentials on different Amazon profiles, only the last one will work. Must be a different Vera login per Amazon profile (regardless of number of devices).

Hope this makes sense.