My Vera is a pain with batterypowered devices ... Please help

I have a Vera plus and some battery devices. Fibaro Door Sensors, hank scn-04 scene controllers and Fibaro Motion sensors(The little eye thing) and Vera have big problems with them all … Lets get started:

I can take a whole night, 2-5 hours just to get the Vera to pair up with a battery powered sensor/magnes/remote controll. When i finaly succeed with the pairing, and starting to configure/changing parameters/associations it all starts all over, it takes several hours to get the device to take the settings, if they manage to get working at all! This is a true pain with all of the above listed devices.

Of Course i have the Vera close (maximum 1 meter) and i have read the manual, and wakes the devices up manually when messing with settings. BUT IT DONT WORK!

I have been in telephone one time with the Vera support trying to add one of my Fibaro Motion sensors, and i think we talked well over an hour before vi got it to work, but no clear solution, just tried over and over again and suddenly it worked. So no really help there, just pure luck i guess - All tho the Vera support team is the greatest, il give them that :slight_smile:

So, i guess my question is if this is normal behaviour? If not, does anyone have a clue how to get this piece of s*it to work? All this time spent on the Vera vill get me out of the marriage :smiley:

Another thing, one of my scene controller (that i manage to get working - halleluia) i have made a association with a light bulb, they sit in the same room and it takes between 3 - 15 seconds before it reacts and sometimes it wont work so i have to press again and hope for better luck . I thought that using associations instead of scenes in Vera would be a fast and good way to control other devices? Is this normal or does it have to do with my Vera?

I have had issues with motion sensors for a while. My biggest problem is that it takes 3-4 seconds for it to notice the motion and thus turn on the light. From my experience (testing 5 different brands), it appears to be the sensor itself. I know this because they light up when they sense motion and that takes 3 seconds for them to light up in my case. Once it detects, lights up, then the light switch is triggered.

I have found a new motion that seem to work great so far, 1 week in. It will trigger the light in less then one second.

http://a.co/d/h7hTpqn

The one thing that I have to do is to pair it as generic Z-wave device. Once its added, I change 4 attributes

device_json = D_MotionSensor1.json
device_file = D_MotionSensor1.xml
category_num = 4
subcategory_num = 3

Then I reload luup engine. That will show 4 new devices, Motion, Motion sensor, Light Sensor, Temp Sensor. I then to hid the second child motion sensor

–Hide Second Garage Motion Sensor - Child Motion Sensor
luup.attr_set(“invisible”, “1”, 893)

But in the end, you should not have to spend 1 hour to pair a device, something is not right there. I use to love Fibaro motion, but when then upgraded to Z-wave Plus a few years back, I lost support for them. My first one, Z-wave only (Version 1), still works great, just the newer Z-wave Plus are not that good in my opinion.

I my case the remote devices seems to react immediately, the delay must be in the Vera (or z-wave network)

Its pretty hard to dim the light by hold down i button when i don’t know if the reaction time is 2 secs or 10 …

How many wall-powered devices do you have? Battery powered devices don’t relay so you may be waiting on a successful notification over a weak radio link.

I have a ton of wallpowered devices, my house have at least one in each room, the most roms have 2 or 3 devices, so the z-wave signals should have no problem in the house

Yes I have a lot of wall powered devices. about 40 wall powered and 10 battery powered devices. And the wall powered ones are almost in every room.

I have a house full of motions (<13$ ea) hard wired to my dedicated alarm system which is networked to my Vera. My lights always turn on in less than a second after triggering the motion, most of the time they are almost instantaneous. That and I do not have to replace any batteries makes them much less troublesome.
I realize some people can not do hard wiring due to construction, but if you can do the wiring, it really is worth the money invested IMHO.

This issue is finally sorted out!!! Ran through the logs of the Vera and found out i had a wall plug sending watt/kwh data every 5 seconds or so, that messed up the network completely. I unpaired it, factory reset and then pair again. Now my Vera feels super fast and responsive, and my love for this device have come back to me!