My Vera is possessed! I need help, or a priest?

Seriously folks I’m not a guru and my Veras are acting nuts and I cant figure it out!

I posted this here because I wasn’t sure where to put it. If it needs to be moved let me know please!

Here is a rundown of what I have and what the problem is.

Vera Plus - UI7 (Main House) (45+ devices)
Vera Plus - UI7 (Workshop/2nd building)(8 devices)

The “House” is the master and reads the devices from the “workshop” unit.

The problem I am having is two fold and just started happening from what I can tell a month or so ago.

“House” problem - I have two Ecolink tilt sensors (TITLT-ZWAVE2-ECO) one for each garage door. They provisioned using the side contacts and a magnetic overhead switch instead of the tilt feature since they are roll up doors. Now the units them-self work great, I’m guessing the problem is with UI7 somewhere. About a month ago I programmed in an “alert/notification” for each door since we were going on vacation. It worked as tested and still worked after we got back (forgot to delete the alert, very annoying!). So I deleted the alert and… it’s still alerting me! For the life of me I can not figure how to get it to stop. I have rebooted several times, unplugged it and plugged it back and nothing. The alerts are still “there” but not seen apparently.

“Workshop” problem - This one is killing both units with alerts since the house gets the same alerts! For some reason the shop unit keeps saying all of my door sensors & motion sensors are “changing states” every 5 to 10 minutes. This is either “motion no longer being detected” on the motion sensors, “PIN code was changed/added” for my door lock or “device tampered with” for the door contacts. About 1-2 minutes later it says each of those are then fine as an alert. I deleted ALL of the shops alerts back to day 1. I now have 106 alerts in about 4 hours. What I found odd was one of the alerts said I added a user “successfully”… that was 6 months ago! I haven’t added anyone since. Is this thing storing alerts and repopulating them from a server somewhere? Also I changed ALL of the CR123 batteries on the units & new batteries in the door lock. Two of the door contacts though are still showing 41% & 61% battery life, no change.

Can anyone please help me figure this out! These units are only 1 year & 2 days old!

Thank you in advanced!

Chris

If for anything, this was an entertaining read… sorry, I didn?t mean to be sarcastic. Your notification problems to me looks like it is another example of cloud gone wild. Your vera?s are mirrored on the vera servers and are synced through an ssh tunnel. The notifications are hidden scenes which may not have been properly deleted from the cloud database when you deleted them locally. Solution? If you are going to go that path, is to go cloudless and to not rely on the vera servers. That?s what I did. A short term fix would be to remove your veras from the server and re-add them but this won?t prevent the problem from happening again.

Now the ghost sensor trips… could be more of the cloud services problem, could be your vera resyncing and sending its history to the vera event server because it did not get the ack from the vera server or could be that you have faulty/misconfigured devices, given how many you have, it is more likely the former. Try to recover from a backup. Your user database may be corrupted.

I’ve emailed you with a few instructions and things we need from your side to be able to assist you with this. I don’t have any “tips” to share yet as we do not know what exactly is causing this, it could be server side, controller side…we will have to look into it and we will have more information once we do.

Please reply to my email with the requested info and we will take it from there, also, I used your forum email to get to you, if the email is not right, please send us an email to our support email: support@getvera.com with the link to this topic or just copy-paste the message into it.

Thx! Have a good one!

Ionut,

I received your email this morning and responded with the information you requested.

Thank you for reaching out to me to assist with this issue.

I was surprised to see someone from Vera reaching out. It’s a pleasant change!

Thank you,

Chris

[quote=“Shoktronic, post:4, topic:206713”]Ionut,

I received your email this morning and responded with the information you requested.

Thank you for reaching out to me to assist with this issue.

I was surprised to see someone from Vera reaching out. It’s a pleasant change!

Thank you,

Chris[/quote]

Credit where it’s due, they seem far more active of late. Would be nice if they shared some of the solutions but let’s not be churlish :wink:

C

[quote=“Catman, post:5, topic:206713”]Credit where it’s due, they seem far more active of late. Would be nice if they shared some of the solutions but let’s not be churlish :wink:
C[/quote]

We usually do not share anything that goes over the Basic and Generic stuff as people will try it blindly and most probably will end up saying “Doesn’t work” and still have to get in touch with us at the end of the day, so we just skip that step and once we found the solution we give the client an update and a guide if possible, if he is willing to share he can do it, we don’t mind, but it’s not like everything we try and do works for everything and everyone.

Also, let’s be real too, we can’t actually fix everything…some stuff go over what we can do and some just cannot be fixed anymore due to “complications”.

Sometimes we cannot actually share the process or steps we took to fix the issue, every stage has its own nails in the floor hiding secrets.

But if you want to know something specific you can email us and if we know and can, we are sure to share, sharing is caring after all, plus, we literally won’t have to deal with an issue ourselves as you should know how to :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

kanpai!

[quote=“Ionut S, post:6, topic:206713”][quote=“Catman, post:5, topic:206713”]Credit where it’s due, they seem far more active of late. Would be nice if they shared some of the solutions but let’s not be churlish :wink:
C[/quote]

We usually do not share anything that goes over the Basic and Generic stuff as people will try it blindly and most probably will end up saying “Doesn’t work” and still have to get in touch with us

kanpai![/quote]

That’s a fair call, sir! Gong hei fat choi :wink: (Yes it’s a little late!)

C

It would be even better if these problems would go into a database to be fixed on the next release instead of just being a CS support script. I have always been happy with the support team but the lack of input taking and responses from the dev team is a different story… Looking forward to the upcoming beta from the new ownership…