New AutoView Z-Wave Somfy Motors from Bali

I have ordered the “AutoView” motorized blinds from Bali that are Z-Wave enabled. Does anyone know if it will
work with UI5 on a Vera2? This is replacing their RTS motors that you had to buy a separate ZRTSI (Z-Wave)
controller to convert the radio signal to Z-Wave. I know that the ZRTSI will work, just wondering about the new
“AutoView” motors.
Thanks,
Victor

If they are Z Wave+, then no.You need UI6 of higher to drive them.
Welcome to the world of UI7 and all of it’s associated misery.

Ohh I did not even know that such motors exist. Are they more than the RTS ones? I am in the middle of an order so I am very interested to know

Seem to be about the same price except you don’t have to spend the $300 for the Somfy ZRSTI RTS to Z-Wave interface controller.

They are Z-Wave+. Graber and Bali are manufactured by Springs Window Fashions (bali is their mass market brand) and we have sold quite a large number of the Graber versions of them known as virtual cord in the SmartThings community. They should come with a remote as well which also works over z-wave +.

Also one point I would like to specifically mention is the motor and z-wave system was designed by springs window fashions, Somfy simply manufactures and provides the warranty on them. (Based on the info we have been provided)

Hope that helps.

[quote=“zedrally, post:2, topic:192780”]If they are Z Wave+, then no.You need UI6 of higher to drive them.
Welcome to the world of UI7 and all of it’s associated misery.[/quote]

Is it the UI that drives the ability to use Z-Wave + and/or the different type of Vera? I may just have to get another Vera
to automate the shades by itself. I have over 60 Z-Wave components on my system and don’t want to risk the hassle
of my system becoming unstable. It has taken me years to get everything to work together.

It is the UI. To operate any Z-wave plus devices you will need UI6 or higher.
I know from experience as I have a stable system on UI5. ZW+ devices will not configure on UI5 or lower.

You have stated you have UI2, Z wave plus devices will not work on UI2 or UI5.
I don’t have a solution for you, other than move to UI7 ( and a new controller).

I wouldn’t like to be in your boots right now, moving 60+ Devices might be problematical, mostly due to incompatibility with older devices.

A simpler solution might be to move to another automation system as I have decided to do.
Good luck.

[quote=“zedrally, post:7, topic:192780”]It is the UI. To operate any Z-wave plus devices you will need UI6 or higher.
I know from experience as I have a stable system on UI5. ZW+ devices will not configure on UI5 or lower.

You have stated you have UI2, Z wave plus devices will not work on UI2 or UI5.
I don’t have a solution for you, other than move to UI7 ( and a new controller).

I wouldn’t like to be in your boots right now, moving 60+ Devices might be problematical, mostly due to incompatibility with older devices.

A simpler solution might be to move to another automation system as I have decided to do.
Good luck.[/quote]

Thank You. I appreciate the advice. ;D

I actually went and compared the prices of the two solutions. I have 21 windows to put blinds or shades on so price matters.

Lowe’s does not yet offer the Autoview. Apparently not for another month or so. You can actually look up both the Lowe’s Bali and the Homedepot Bali website. They still offer the RTS system
Home depot however is now offering only the Autoview motors.
Looking at the difference in motor price, the list price difference is $55 per motor. With Lowe’s Offering 25% off Bali shades and HD only 20%, the RTS option is far cheaper but limits me to 16 devices per RTS controller $56.8/shade. What I found surprising is that I got the ZRTSI for $89-20%-10%=$64. I also got a remote which I will likely return if the 16 channel ZRTSI is all setup correctly. Basically the price breaks almost even for a single shade or blind but a difference of ~$60/motor adds up.

By the way, the UI is not what determines whether the Zwave+ devices will work. It is the Zwave chip on the controller. At this point only the Vera Edge and the Vera Plus support Zwave+ and both of them just happen to be on UI7 only. Running UI7 on a VeraLite or 3 will not allow you to operate Zwave+ devices. Let alone a Vera 2.

The ZRTSI is notoriously bad in terms of RTS range, you might need to consider purchasing a few additional units, setting everything up and then returning the ones you don’t need.

Just to clarify, you get 16 channels of control with a ZRTSI, but that could control many more shades than 16 considering groups of shades can be controlled on the same channel. The typical Somfy motor can store 12 transmitter IDs in its memory so the ZRTSI could control a motor on channel 1 as a group (with other shades), it could control that same shade individually on channel 2, and a handheld remote could also control that shade the same way on its own channel 1 and 2. That would take up 4 transmitter ID slots in the motor memory.

If you’re going to go the RTS route, having a direct remote (not reliant on Vera) is one of the advantages over using Z-Wave motors, so you might consider keeping it. RTS doesn’t offer bi-directional communication a position feedback, but it does work pretty well being a 433 MHz (sub-GHz) signal so it goes through walls pretty well.

Well, the Bali autoview and the Graber Virtual Cord (both use the same system) are not reliant on Vera specifically. Once you connect the shades to vera, you can add the remote as a secondary controller; so if the vera fails the remote still functions. As a worst case scenario there is a button on the shade as well with which you can operate. If your existing z-wave network goes down completely it takes about 30 seconds to repair the remote back as the main controller to the shade.

The autoview and virtual cord are also supposed to be a bit quieter than the standard RTS motors.

Well Lowes updated the list price of the ZRTSI or maybe it sold for more if bought without a shade. It is now $95 - 20% =$76.
Still roughly 70ish after coupons.

Thanks for all the inputs. I got another one just just in case and I am really not interested in having another remote control. It will just get lost somewhere never to be found… I am already changing TV channels through the Echo.

From selling the ZRTSI for a few years the only real complaint we have received is range, which is why I recommended buying one or 2 units and then returning the ones you don’t need. Otherwise their very reliable and will go for years without any issues.

Turns out the range on the ZRTSI is actually quite good. I installed in in a closet pretty much at the center of the house and am able to control units a floor and 2-3 walls away. Granted I have no concrete wall and it is all drywalls only. The bridge range is rated for 60ft through 2 concrete walls.

Unless there is something wrong with the new Zwave+ motors, I’d rather do that. It just means less gateways/interfaces/plugins to deal with and you also get the direct feedback from each shade/blind/whatever.

Once I get some stuff taken care of I’ll be jumping into this myself. (again) … lots my job a month ago, want income stream again before dropping a few grand on shades :slight_smile:

Has anyone tried the autoview motors yet? I only want to control one window and this seems to be the perfect solution to ‘keep it simple’ and avoid the bridge. How does it show up in UI7? Can you share your experience? I have the Vera Plus controller.

Autoview is the way to go unless like me you got a good sale on RTS and have a huge number of windows to cover making it uneconomical. I easily saved a couple of thousands by going RTS.

I really like the idea of having the z-wave built into the shade - especially for smaller shade setups - keeps it simple. I ordered one as a test for my foyer. Took almost 8 weeks to come in. Finally got it up and installed and the unit works like a charm - quiet and smooth operating. Only issue I have is I cannot seem to pair with Vera - anyone know how this is done? All google searches are for the RTS units, which this in not.

Yes, my 6 Autoview blinds just arrived. They work great with their individual controllers, but how do I pair them with my VeraEdge controller. The Bali instructions are pitiful!

Sept 21st update: I was able to pair the Bali Autoview shades with my VeraEdge system, very easily once I tracked this down: Adding Graber Vitrual Cord Z-wave shades to SmartThings - ZebraBlinds.com - YouTube

It’s a video on how to add the Virtual Cord shades (apparently what the Bali shades really are) to a SmartThings network. I followed these instructions and they worked perfectly. I added the shades as a Generic Zwave device to Vera, and now have the control that I wanted, both via Vera and the individual button that comes with each shade. Even though I added them as a generic device, Vera knows that they are window coverings, with Open and Close options, and a slider for partial opening/closing (like 50%).

Note that the Autoview shades are Zwave+ devices on their own. They do not need the ZRTSI device to connect to the Vera network.