New Device unexpectedly appears

Looking through my list of devices on UI7, I noticed that a new device had been created = _GET_LANG(generic_sensor,sensor)

Anyone have any idea what this is and why it showed up in my “Sensors” group? Can I delete it? It shows no notifications, does not have an option to show what scenes it is involved with.

It says it is embedded in device #117 which is a EZMultiPli Z-Wave Multi-Sensor installed in June (2018). Works fine, this new device did not show up when I installed the Multi-Sensor. The variable time_created indicates December 21, 2018

As background, I’ve been getting notifications of Vera up and down the past week or so, I’ve had customer assistance access the VeraPlus to determine the cause (which it turns out is an issue with UI7 and cloud servers, not my controller specifically and they will be dealing with this issue in an upcoming update)

thanks for any insight

It is the Vera’s configuration process misinterpreting a Z-wave command class and creating a device for you to correspond to it. Deleting it may or may not delete your device altogether. If it doesn’t bother you, I would not touch it. If however it reproduces itself (meaning you end with more than one of these ghost child devices over time) I would delete/exclude and reinclude the device. Something went wrong in the inclusion/configuration process.

An alternative to attempting to delete the unexpected child device, which may then reappear, is to mark it invisible so it just doesn’t show in the UI but still exists to satisfy the parent/implementation. You can do this in Apps > Develop apps > Test code quickly:

luup.attr_set( 'invisible', '1', child_device_number )

Sometimes the UI registers this change immediately, sometimes it takes a page refresh.

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I used the code to make it invisible and refreshed my screen and the device(?) is no longer appearing on the list of devices.

Just rather strange that after 6 months of having the parent device installed, this child device starts showing up now. Go figure. The original device seems to be working fine. I am tempted to wonder if this is indicative of something else going wrong, but I will resist.

Thanks again.