New Evolve LCD1 Plugin

I’ve been wondering if you have made any progress on your new version of the Evolve LCD-1 app. Even if it isn’t functioning exactly the way you want it to, I’m very willing to be a beta tester for it. I hope this message doesn’t strike you as unappreciative, as you have made a solid app already and I’m very grateful for your efforts.

Does anyone know where these can be purchased in the UK?

I tried to contact the company direct a couple of times via email but they have never responded (not the best customer service)

Do they make a version on the EU Z-Wave frequency? (And yes, I don’t have a good customer service experience with them at all either.)

RE: New versions of LCD-1 driver.

I know it’s been a while but I’m definitely still working on a major update of the LCD1 controller driver, even as I write this post. There are still a few rough spots and I don’t want to let it out just yet. I’m also worried about UI6 given that I am playing some games with the Vera UI. Perhaps in the next few weeks. I know that my “Christmas present” is now turning into more like Valentine’s day, but hopefully before St. Patrick’s day. Everything I said in my Thanksgiving post still holds true. I’ve just been very busy with other projects, but I work on this one whenever I have a chance.

RE: UK support. You would have to talk to Evolve about that. I don’t think that they are planning new firmware updates. Hopefully, we can get them exited about making new controllers with better displays but KEEP THE HARD BUTTONS!

Cheers

Gengen

The Evolve Controls “corporate office”, I use the term loosely because it’s basically operating out of a house converted for commercial use, is in the same town as my office. I too tried contacting them and their main distributor directly (over a month ago), neither one has responded via email. Me thinks it’s time to stay away from these folks.

Actually, I have gotten some support from Evolve and they have answered a bunch of questions that I had regarding the controllers and various other Evolve devices which I purchased. I would not be too hard on them.

Installed the LCD1 today, took a couple of tries to get it paired with Vera but it is now paired.
I can change the text on Custom 1, which seems to be the default that is displayed on the lcd1.
I’m confused as to how you alternate among the different control scenes - is it by holding one of the buttons longer? Button 1 is for control scene 1, long press on button 2 is for control scene 2, same for 3?

anyway, I’m unable to get any scenes to fire. My first scene is triggered by the evolve lcd1 controller and is scene number 1 … when i press the first button on lcd1, nothing happens.

i’m probably missing something very simple but was trying to pair my skybell with my phone and it’s not working so apologies if i overlooked something simple

The current version does not allow automatic switching between scenes other than perhaps having a different scene from a different trigger or schedule changing among the scenes by using one of the buttons in the main control panel screen.

Make sure that when you are triggering a scene that you are using the “peer device” and not the hidden “Z-Wave” device.
Also, make sure that the modes of the five buttons (configuration parameters 1-5) are set appropriately. (typically 0 for momentary, 1 for toggle.)

All of this should be handled automatically in the next version.

I went through triggering scenes about 15 times, walked away from it for a day and then the next day the scene triggers were working. I have this mounted next to one of my doors and it works exceptionally well. I can hit “secure house” when I leave and don’t need to worry about any lights on, doors unlocked, etc. and now that I have some integration between XBMC and global cache ip2ir devices, I have triggers for turning on “Headline News” or playing highly rated music. So cool!

One question: How does one contact the Evolve guys? I’d like to send the device out to get upgraded to whatever the latest firmware is (I’m on 0.37, I believe). I’m looking at versions under settings and see:

I have to say though, what a FABULOUS plugin! A virtual keg of beer for you :slight_smile:

@macrho

I won’t post the Evolve contact publicly but I will PM you or anyone else who needs the upgrade to 0.39 and posts how they will be using it on this thread.

PM me, not sure what you mean by how I’ll be using it?
Wanting to get the most out of the device as I can and willing to post my experiences along the way

[quote=“gengen, post:30, topic:176384”]@macrho
I won’t post the Evolve contact publicly but I will PM you or anyone else who needs the upgrade to 0.39 and posts how they will be using it on this thread.[/quote]
Please PM me; I have three installed and are basically only usable with one screen due to the slow / partial update bug. I’d like to rev these to newer s/ware to take advantage of what’s possible now! Thanks!

Plugin works great! Thanks @GenGen!

I sent PMs to Macrho and ChrisFSB with contact info for Evolve LCD1 firmware Updates.

@gengen, thanks for the awesome plugin. I was reading through thread and it seems others have the same question I do. I understand a new version is coming, but was hoping I could get started in scripting a LCD menu change in a scene.

Specifically do you have a Vera scene change the LCD from Menu #1 to Menu #2. It seems to only work in the GUI web page selecting other menu…but I can’t run it from a scene.

When in the devices tab for a Vera Automation, the Evolve has a red watermark icon indicating it can’t be selected using the GUI. Screenshot 1 Scene View.

I’ve tried setting the scene in the advanced tab (using variables 1, 01, and C1). Screenshot 2 Scene Advanced Tab.

When I use 1 or 01, it does show in the device view that the evolve menu #1 is selected. Screenshot 3 Scene post Advanced Tab.

Thanks for any assistance! :slight_smile:

@AgileHumor,

Indeed, there are a couple of bugs in the current version that prevent screen switches from being scripted. This will be fixed in the next version.

Here are some technical details that may be of interest to some. There’s a dumb bug and a subtle bug.
The dumb bug is the missing “inScene”: “1” tag in the static JSON file. This is what tells UI5 to not put the red “slash circle” overlay on the tile. A more subtle bug is that “lul_settings.DeviceNum” is passed to the Lua action command in interactive mode, but not in scripting mode. However, the device number can be obtained from “lul_device” or “luup.device” in both modes, so the fix was straight-forward.

Thanks for trying out the plug-in.

Gengen.

Thanks for your reply. So far, your plugin has given me some great uses.

I use the top two buttons for the lights on and off.

Bottom two are 2 versions of Goodnight scene (with and without music) in the evening. I use scheduled scenes to switch the morning menu. the Snooze and Alarm Off.

The middle button I’m reserving for “Menu”, where I will have a hierarchical menu when your ready.

One open question, can I associate a non-zwave thermostat like a Nest to the plugin?

@AgileHumor,

There are direct Z-wave associatiations and indirect associations through Vera. The temperature features of the EvolveLCD1 really only work with direct associations to another Z-wave thermostat and this is what my plug-in will support.

Gengen

Thanks for the update sir

Thanks for both the plug in and the contact info genen. I just received my LCD-1’s back from Evolve with new firmware :slight_smile: