New House, Same contoller - Fresh Start!

Just moved in to our new house, and (besides all other activities in moving) started setting up the vera plus from scratch.

Wiped it clean completely with a factory reset. Then I did Rafale77s savespace script, I considered extroot, but decided to wait and see if it will be necessary.

Questions:
Data logging.
Previously I used eventwatcher, and retrieved values to a computer (excel script).
I still want to keep logs on a separate computer, and i want it to be a local computer.
Datamine seems to use local/usb storage, havenā€™t tried Datayours yet.
Any suggestions on the best way forward here? Iā€™d like to be able to look at the data in graphs, both on computers and wall padā€™s, and extracting data for analysis would also be a good feature.

Mesh type network
Iā€™m considering having some local processors to do some work in some rooms, whitch I want mirrored on the vera, or at least an interface to collaborate with. This could perhaps be done with Piā€™s running altUI?

Any input is appreciated! :slight_smile: Also clever things you wish you did before adding the 100+ sensors. :wink:

So far as data logging goes, my preference would be simply to run openLuup on a separate machine (eg. RPi) bridged to Vera. The built-in Data Historian logs everything of significance with almost no configuration needed. It can also forward data to a full-scale database like InfluxDB and/or display graphs through a graphics back-end such as Grafana.

You can also do this with DataYours, but it is much, much more work to configure.

Since your setup is quite large, you may want to consider multiple Veras, in which case they can be painlessly bridged by the single openLuup system.

Interesting, iā€™ll look into the data historianā€¦ If it takes in sensor data and events like eventwatcher it should be all i need reallyā€¦

How does the veraā€™s interact when you have more of them? Will the GUI Show them as one? If they work independently, can they work with input from the other veraā€™s sensors?

The historian works with numeric data only, but that really does cover most things you need.

Yes, devices on all bridged Veras show as one ā€˜virtual machineā€™ but you can choose to show them in separate rooms, by machine name, or in the rooms as defined on the individual Veras. I currently have three bridged Veras on my system (although have had four in the past.)

Specific device variables may be mirrored back to any Vera device, and scenes on the Veras can also be triggered. You should, though, aim to move as much of your automation as possible to openLuup so that all the action happens there on a machine which does not randomly crash (unless you use an encrypted plugin like PLEG, which canā€™t run under openLuup.). There are some tools to help you migrate scenes.

This is the approach I use, and it works for me (and a few others here on the forum.) Whether it suits you, I canā€™t say, but feel free to ask further.

Ok, but how is the processing divided between them?

Iā€™m using Reactor, Delaylight, etc for all logic tasks, is the plugins installed on all units?
If one goes offline, how will that affect the others, other than losing the sensors paired to it?

Those plugins can all run directly on the openLuup machine, lightening the load on any bridged Veras.

1 Like

Sure, but how is it solved if there is no openluup? Just trying til grasp how the bridge system worksā€¦

Bridging with openLuup is completely different from the native Vera bridging (which doesnā€™t work very well and is likely to cause more problems than it solves.)

Ok, thanks for all the info, a plan is emerging. :slight_smile:

Do you have any interfaces on androids in the system? I used Imperihome the last time to have a user panel in the living room, would AltUI interface to that the same way?

What about Alexa/Google Home Integration?

Works with any browser.

Yes, but iā€™m thinking of Imperihome or other apps for making a user interfaceā€¦

Works well with HomeWave, which can be highly customized to produce a user-friendly interface.

Ok, too bad it only works on iOsā€¦

Should work well with most apps, Iā€™ve just never tried.

openLuup works very hard to make itself look like a Vera from the outside.

I am pretty sure it will work just the same for imperihome. You may need to add a cgi file for it to forward the data to it in the right format. Otherwise openluup really looks like a (better) vera from the outside.

Credits to @reneboer

2 Likes

So, as my ā€œserverā€ is a win 10 PC i used a few hours trying to run Openluup on windows to have data historian.
I tried Zerobrane, then luaforwindows, then Debian app for win 10, then Cygwin, and none of them would work (with my limited unix and lua knowledge mind you).
Most of them ended up missing the ā€œssl.httpsā€ files when running the openluup installer, and the Debian App just crashed too often for me to trust it.

Then i went for the InfluxDB and Grafana option, which was up and running within the hour working beautifully!
Installed InfluxDB using this tutorial, and used VeraFlux to pass the data. (thanks, @BlueSmurf!)
Grafana is a really powerful tool which takes some getting used to, but it can make some really nice visualizations in the end.

Same here. Since several weeks I have the Veraflux plugin running feeding data towards my InfluxDB/Telegram/Grafana setup (running on docker on my Synology NAS).
Very stable, no resource hogger.