New Plugin: Tado

Hey guys,

I have released the first version of my plug-in for Tado Smart Thermostats and Smart AC Controllers. You can find it on the MiOS app store by searching for “Tado”. The github URL is here, GitHub - Fredde87/tado: Tado Plugin for Vera / MiOS

It has not been tested against Smart Radiator Valves as I have none to test against, but if someone has a account I can borrow then I am happy to add support for them.

Once the plugin is installed a Tado.com Connection device will be created. It has a Tado Settings page where you can enter your tado.com credentials.

The plugin will then query your account and create a Home for each house on your account and another sub device for each thermostat or AC controller you have in that house.

Please do read the README file on the Github page above, it contains some important information to be aware of. Please let me know if anyone has any issues.

Keep in mind,

[ul][li]Dry mode can be enabled using the SetModeTarget option in case someone wants to do it progamatically. However there is no graphical support for Dry or Fan Only mode so the GUI will not display what mode it is in[/li]
[li]Tado does not report a SetPoint temperature if the Thermostat/AC Controller is not in Heating or Cooling mode. Therefore if it is Off or in Auto, then no temperature (or NaN) will be displayed.[/li][/ul]

Known Issue,

[ul][li]Scene triggers are not working yet. I have created them but they don’t seem to trigger for some reason.[/li]
[li]There are some bugs in Vera itself that seems to render Cool and Auto buttons on the Smart Thermostat even though it only supports Off and Heat[/li]
[li]Set Point is now in increments of 0.5 but Tado actually only does 1.0 increments. I will change this for the next update.[/li][/ul]

Looking forward to hearing what people think of it!

Hi!
Thank You for Your hard work, I am a new owner of a Vera Plus (not yet received) and I was wondering about Tado Support… because IMHO the Tado Smart Thermostat is one of the best on the market (for many reasons, the most important one is its compatibility with OpenTherm protocol…).

From what U have read, your plugin is also working with the smart thermostat, right?

[quote=“Axios, post:2, topic:196994”]Hi!
Thank You for Your hard work, I am a new owner of a Vera Plus (not yet received) and I was wondering about Tado Support… because IMHO the Tado Smart Thermostat is one of the best on the market (for many reasons, the most important one is its compatibility with OpenTherm protocol…).

From what U have read, your plugin is also working with the smart thermostat, right?[/quote]

No worries. Yes thats correct, I don’t have a smart thermostat myself (I have a Smart AC Controller), instead I borrowed my dads Tado account to test the plugin against the smart thermostat and it should be working well.
There is however no support for the hot water features. The plugin just allows you to enable/disable Manual mode and set a heating temperature.

I’ve only tested my plugin on a Vera Lite so far, so I would be interested to know how the plugin works for you. Please do let me know how you get on.

Be aware as well that there seems to be a bug in the latest Vera software where the web interface will give show you a Cool and Auto button (the mobile app correctly displays just Heat and Off). This is obviously a bug because your smart thermostat does not have a Cool or Auto mode, so pressing these buttons won’t do anything for you.

Hi,

first of all thank You for Ur kind reply! Actually as I have said, I am still waiting for my VeraPlus to arrive… Then I will have to start the renovation of my house and I am planning to make it ready for home automation… so I will also have to choose and buy a good thermostat… that’s why I am already looking for informations to decide what to buy.

In another house I already have the NetAtmo thermostat, which woks fine, but it is not OpenTherm or Vera compatible… this is why I am looking at Tado and Nest… trying to understand which one could be better for my uses…

Hi,

I have a netatmo thermostat, and it can be added to the Vera as a device. I’m using a vera plus too.

HTH
Tony

Thank You,

I already Knew that NetAtmo is supported… but, sadly, this thermostat is not compatible with the OpenTherm protocol, so it is not useful for my new home.

Hi! I have tested your Plugin with my Radiator Thermostats at Home.

- set temperature, only working when "heat mode" and a new temperature set together

- the mode (off, heat, cool, auto)  always falls back to off. As you said, cool and auto are not supported in tado, so it  always falls 
      back from heat to off - but it's working in the tado app, so it's only displayed or updatedt incorrect

- inside temperature and target temperature are displayed correctly / updates happen within a few seconds in both ways.
- the manual mode from tado (Normal in Vera) and auto mode (Energy in Vera) are updated correctly within a few seconds, well I 
       can't switch to normal mode from Vera,  but normal mode is set when i set a temperature as described above. (But maybe this is 
       because tado always needs a (new) temperature in the request?

A Feature Request: Set a “Manual mode - until next automatic change” or is this possible when i set a specific Variable?

So for now i am very happy with your Plugin. Thank you for the hard work! I’m able to use my Scenes an PLEG to control my Tado without the detour over IFTTT. :smiley:

Next Week i’am getting Tado Radiator Thermostats for our Office, if you have time i can grand you access to the new account for a few Weeks until we set up our Heating for winter. If you are interested please let me know!

[quote=“florianec, post:7, topic:196994”]Hi! I have tested your Plugin with my Radiator Thermostats at Home.

- set temperature, only working when "heat mode" and a new temperature set together

- the mode (off, heat, cool, auto)  always falls back to off. As you said, cool and auto are not supported in tado, so it  always falls 
      back from heat to off - but it's working in the tado app, so it's only displayed or updatedt incorrect

- inside temperature and target temperature are displayed correctly / updates happen within a few seconds in both ways.
- the manual mode from tado (Normal in Vera) and auto mode (Energy in Vera) are updated correctly within a few seconds, well I 
       can't switch to normal mode from Vera,  but normal mode is set when i set a temperature as described above. (But maybe this is 

A Feature Request: Set a “Manual mode - until next automatic change” or is this possible when i set a specific Variable?

So for now i am very happy with your Plugin. Thank you for the hard work! I’m able to use my Scenes an PLEG to control my Tado without the detour over IFTTT. :smiley:

Next Week i’am getting Tado Radiator Thermostats for our Office, if you have time i can grand you access to the new account for a few Weeks until we set up our Heating for winter. If you are interested please let me know![/quote]

Hi florianec,

Many thanks for your feedback! Sorry for the delayed reply, for some reason I didn’t get a notification that someone had replied to my thread.

Great to hear that most of the functionality works on the radiator valves as well! I’d be happy to test with your radiator thermostat for your office if you have time. Hopefully it will just be some small changes needed to sort of the small issues you noticed.

Drop me a PM with the details if you are happy to grant me temporary access to your account. I will be away from the 15th of Oct to the 27th but can do it either before or after those dates.

Best Regards

Fredrik

[quote=“Fredde87, post:8, topic:196994”][quote=“florianec, post:7, topic:196994”]Hi! I have tested your Plugin with my Radiator Thermostats at Home.

Next Week i’am getting Tado Radiator Thermostats for our Office, if you have time i can grand you access to the new account for a few Weeks until we set up our Heating for winter. If you are interested please let me know![/quote]

Hi florianec,

Many thanks for your feedback! Sorry for the delayed reply, for some reason I didn’t get a notification that someone had replied to my thread.

Great to hear that most of the functionality works on the radiator valves as well! I’d be happy to test with your radiator thermostat for your office if you have time. Hopefully it will just be some small changes needed to sort of the small issues you noticed.

Drop me a PM with the details if you are happy to grant me temporary access to your account. I will be away from the 15th of Oct to the 27th but can do it either before or after those dates.

Best Regards

Fredrik[/quote]

Hi Florian,

I’ve sent you a private message but it’s not showing up in my Send Items so not sure if it has been sent or not. It contains instructions on how to install a beta version of the next version which fixes the issues you’ve noticed. Let me know if you haven’t received my private message.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you know that I have submitted a new version of the plugin for approval. Tado changed some stuff in their API that required me to update my plugin. So if you have been able to get feedback, but unable to change any settings, then that is the reason for it.

It was also pointed out to me that the plugin would fail to load on systems that had a Hot Water device setup. So I have added support for the hot water feature as well in the Tado Smart Thermostat.

Once the new version is checked by MiOS then it will appear automatically for you to update to. The new version number is 0.6.

Please let me know if anyone experiences any issues.

Best Regards

Fredrik

Hi Fredrik,

I just joined the Tado family with two thermostats, which gives mee three zones (2x heaters and 1x hot water).
I use your plugin for Vera and it’s working like a charm! It also syncs nicely with openLuup / AltUI.

[quote=“bruring, post:11, topic:196994”]Hi Fredrik,

I just joined the Tado family with two thermostats, which gives mee three zones (2x heaters and 1x hot water).
I use your plugin for Vera and it’s working like a charm! It also syncs nicely with openLuup / AltUI.[/quote]

Hi bruring,

Sorry for the late reply! Glad it is working well for you! Welcome to the family! :slight_smile:

Hi @Fredde87,

Would it be possible to make the plugin available for AltUI/openluup? So, in the Alternat App store (store of AltUI). I would like to run the plugin on openluup, because I want the vera to be as clean as possible.

I would appreciate it very much. I’m no expert, but I don’t think it is a lot of work.

Please let me know! Thnx!

Hi @Fredde87,

Have you given this some thought yet?

Is this plugin still working, as I want to buy a Tado v3+.

How does it look in de UI?

Hey RHCPNG,

Sorry for the late reply. I know I replied to your github message already but thought I’d reply here for completeness.

At the moment I dont have the time to look into adding it to the AltUI store. Its not something I use myself and to be honest I think Vera’s days are numbered now as their support/platform is getting worse and worse by the day unfortunately.

Hi VeraEdger,

I haven’t tested it with a v3+ yet, but it looks very similar to the older generations and the plugin still works for them. So I think you have a 95% chance of it working with the v3+.

Which UI are you referring to? It looks like this in UI7

@Fredde87 Thanks!

Is version 0.6 which can be found in the apps “store” the latest version?

Installed Tado from the apps menu. It is working, I can set temperature and it shows current.

2 questions:

• Can it only be set by 0.5 degrees? I would like to set it by 0.1 up/down.
  • When I change it with Vera, this temp setting will be set until the next manual change. While I have choosing in Tado config to change it to the scheme after a manual setting. When I use Goolgle home or the Tado app, it indeed will follow the scheme after manual change.

Thanks