New Product - GE 12730 Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Fan Controller

It looks like there’s finally a new option for Z-wave control of ceiling fans, the GE 12730 Z-Wave In-Wall Smart Fan Controller.

Homeseer $49.95

Amazon $44.95

ebay $43.95

I haven’t found a manual online or any earlier postings about it in this forum. Z-Wave Protocol Implementation Conformance Statement

I still don’t understand why there is no zwave form of the fanlinc. That is the best design yet for this problem and the main reason I now run a zwave/insteon hybrid system

YAY! ;D ;D No more super expensive z-wave fan control!!

If only my 2 ceiling fan locations had a neutral wire in the switchbox :frowning:

I’m holding off until I see an actual manual and wiring diagram. Strange that I can’t find any info at all on Jasco’s website.

I am hoping there are not any wiring surprises waiting for me. Oh… I wonder how this plans to work with ceiling fans with lights as well.

My guess (and one I believe will be right) is that this is only for controlling the fan just like the Leviton one. If you only have 2 wire going to your fan, then you won’t be able to control the fan and lights separately without either replacing the romex with 3 wire (or running another 2 wire run) and adding a separate switch for the lights, or ditching the light kit.

That is why I prefer the Fanlinc design. It goes in the fan’s canopy (like many of those “remote control” ones) and then you can either not have a local control (All automated) or you can use a KPL to control both the fan and light. This works if you only have 2-wire going to the fan because the fanlinc has a fan controller AND a dimmer in it. I understand that Z-wave doesn’t have the “concept” of KPLs (ability to dim a remote device in real time), but the manufacturers could just do what they do with Z-wave 3-way switches and have a proprietary controller switch that could control the device in the canopy.

They don’t have ANY of their new lineup 457xxs listed on their website. I think I read they weren’t planning to offer them direct to consumers.

They don’t have ANY of their new lineup 457xxs listed on their website. I think I read they weren’t planning to offer them direct to consumers.[/quote]

Still, one would expect PDFs in the support section in case people lose the documentation in the box.

Any guess on UI5 support ?

Based on the fact they can barely support UI7… draw your own conclusions :wink:

The specs look like is uses the multilevel switch class. Is that something UI5 supports?

[quote=“steets250, post:12, topic:184632”]The specs look like is uses the multilevel switch class. Is that something UI5 supports?[/quote]Yes. I would expect this switch to work just fine in UI5. I’d expect it to show up as a dimmer, just like the Leviton fan controller.

Ok. Thanks!

Just bought and installed one of these. I can confirm that Vera 3 UI5 sees it as a standard dimmer. Looks like it is broken down as follows: 10% to about 30% is low, 40% - 60% is medium, and 70% - 100% is high. Might be possible to assign a custom device type/file to it, not sure. I’ll look into it.

How did you get yours to pair? Mine will not pair to save my life, I’ve tried about 20 times. The instructions that came with the box just indicate to “follow controller directions”.

Do you press the little button on the left on the switch in conjunction with the fan up/down to activate the pair?

The fan works great to turn the fan on/off, but I can’t get it to pair with my Vera.

[quote=“Kmitchel, post:16, topic:184632”]How did you get yours to pair? Mine will not pair to save my life, I’ve tried about 20 times. The instructions that came with the box just indicate to “follow controller directions”.

Do you press the little button on the left on the switch in conjunction with the fan up/down to activate the pair?

The fan works great to turn the fan on/off, but I can’t get it to pair with my Vera.[/quote]

First of all there is not a little button on the left of the switch. There is an “AIR GAP” which when pulled out it will disconnect the power to the switch and the fan. All GE switches have this.

If this was pulled out the switch would not work at all so your currently must be pushed in already.

2nd what type of controller do you have and which UI are you running.

You need to go to add devices and select generic z-wave device and then when it says add device now go flip the switch on and off. Until you see on the UI that is says device added or configuring device.

What is the verdict on the qualify & functionality? I’m thinking about getting 4 of these but want to make sure they work peroperly and don’t induce humming, etc.

As for how it shows up in Vera, an Amazon review said:
'advertises itself with a device type identifier of a lighting dimmer switch (0x1101), and NOT of a z-wave fan control (identifier 0x1108.)"

In Vera, should we be able to manually point the device to be a Fan controller?

My fan is controlled solely through a remote, so I am guessing this product wouldn’t work for me? The wall switch simply turns the fan on or off, but all of the controls are via remote.

all fans have separate controls for light & fan… yours just terminates in the ceiling. You can check to see if they ran the wires to the wall box (outlet) and just didn’t use them. If they didn’t, you can run new wires from the fan box to the wall… this is what I will need to do for mine so I feel your pain :slight_smile: