New VeraPlus - how best to update/upgrade it?

Hi all… It’s been many years since I’ve lurked around on this forum, but I’ve just receive my shiny (well it’s not really shiny ;D) new VeraPlus.

So before I turn it into an instant “brick” as I’m reading on here :-[, what’s the best way to update the software on it? As I said, it’s new, not even been turned on yet, so no config to keep.

Thanks!

[quote=“minxster, post:1, topic:200619”]Hi all… It’s been many years since I’ve lurked around on this forum, but I’ve just receive my shiny (well it’s not really shiny ;D) new VeraPlus.

So before I turn it into an instant “brick” as I’m reading on here :-[, what’s the best way to update the software on it? As I said, it’s new, not even been turned on yet, so no config to keep.

Thanks![/quote]
I’m sure you’ll get quite a few good answers. There are various threads on how to mitigate problems performing an upgrade. @rafele77 has done excellent work on the issue of low space on the root file partition and has several techniques to improve the situation. My personal advice, however, would be to contact customer support as they have dealt with this issue and probably have some strategies in place. They also monitor the forum, so don’t be surprised if CS chimes in to this thread.

Good luck!

If your plus is virgin, It is pretty safe to upgrade before doing anything. Once you start installing plugins and devices is where it gets iffy. Support will get you to remove some obsolete files from the partition but it may not be sufficient or sustainable. That’s why I looked into alternatives of using the storage partition or even better extroot which moves the vera working partition to an external SSD and runs off of it.

Thanks to both of you for getting back to me. It seems as though I should be safe to give it a go since it’s virgin… My other unit is still on UI5 (VeraLite) and I’ve just left that doing it’s thing in another house, far easier to deal with.

It’s interesting to hear about using an SSD to store the software, I should really look into that along with exrooting the unit. I like the idea of getting full control especially for backup purposes! :wink:

And yeh, @HSD99, wish me luck! LOL

I just wanted to post back… The update went ok, but I did have to do a manual reboot after about 20mins. But after that it seemed fine.

Off topic: I tried to setup the wifi so I didn’t need to use the ethernet cable… I won’t be trying that a 2nd time in a hurry, what a headache… Ethernet it is 8)

[quote=“minxster, post:5, topic:200619”]I just wanted to post back… The update went ok, but I did have to do a manual reboot after about 20mins. But after that it seemed fine.

Off topic: I tried to setup the wifi so I didn’t need to use the ethernet cable… I won’t be trying that a 2nd time in a hurry, what a headache… Ethernet it is 8)[/quote]

First off—congrats on surviving the update! A couple of things…sometimes a power cycle is useful as well. It makes sure all the hardware is properly initialized and that all the start-up scripts run. You can search the forum for Wi-Fi problems—many of us consider it a major cause of system instability and have it shut off. A wired connection is better anyway. :wink:

Thanks @HSD99 - yeh, just going to keep with ethernet for now. I had to do a number of power-cycles anyway so it does seem to be generally ok. I’m just chucking Z-Wave devices at it just now, not many, and it’s generally seems to be ok thankfully.

I’ll be honest, my VeraLite (with UI5) was just a little project that sadly got left to the side but still running perfectly fine 8)… But when I wanted to re-kindle my “home automation” ideas I just wanted to come back to Vera… It’s not where I hoped it would be (development + time + better = :'(), but I came across a post showing LUUP stuff to get around a problem and then re fell in love again… If it’s broken, programme your way around it ;D