Old Xfinity Home hardware. Visonic.

I took another job and no longer work for Comcast nor beta test products for them. I moved to a new home and bought a VeraPlus (seeing it could handle zigbee).

Comcast makes you return the “brain” upon cancellation of services.

I have a box of sensors and such I would like to get working again, however, the VeraPlus is not picking any of it up.

MCT-320 (door/window sensors)
MXT-442 (carbon monoxide detector)

to name a few.

I’m hoping I am just overlooking something? Or do I need to get a PowerMax controller and use the AD2USB module? I did keep my AD2USB module.

Any insight or direction to getting these working would be appreciated.

I did search the forums and ironically, I could only find my own thread from 2012 that I posted. I would think 5 years later there was some better integration/information out there on how to “hack” this hardware to get it working with VeraPlus.

You need a PowerMax Panel and RS-232 adapter, then you should be able to use the Visonic plug in as outlined here: Visonic Powermax Alarm Panel

Assuming that plug in still works with UI7

These are not ZigBee devices, they are PowerMax wireless devices so only work with PowerMax and PowerCode Visonic security panel, so they aren’t going to work directly with the Vera or any other home automation system, you are going to have to patch into the security systems main board vis the RS-232 kit or something similar.

[quote=“shallowearth, post:2, topic:196102”]You need a PowerMax Panel and RS-232 adapter, then you should be able to use the Visonic plug in as outlined here: Visonic Powermax Alarm Panel

Assuming that plug in still works with UI7

These are not ZigBee devices, they are PowerMax wireless devices so only work with PowerMax and PowerCode Visonic security panel, so they aren’t going to work directly with the Vera or any other home automation system, you are going to have to patch into the security systems main board vis the RS-232 kit or something similar.[/quote]

That’s what I was afraid of. Looks like I will need to hunt down a cheap panel.

I have an SMCSR01-Z from the same system the above mentioned modules are on. This device IS zigbee from what I read. No? If the other devices werent zigbee…that means Comcast’s brain used multiple wireless technologies?

Yes, it is not uncommon for security systems to use one protocol for sensors and another for automation modules. If you want to bring Zigbee devices into your Vera system, I recommend getting a wink hub and use the Wink plug in. Wink’s Zigbee compatibility is way better and reliable than the Vera plus, and the plug-in is solid for having the two systems talk to each other.

I do both, use a RS-232 plot in to give my Vera access to my security systems sensors, and a Wink Hub to manage my Caseta (proprietary Leviton lighting automation) and Zigbeee lighting (most of my lighting is z-wave but there were a few places where the Caseta was needed or Zigbee had a better looking bulb.)

Thanks for the input. Looks like I’m getting a wink hub.

I also have a dsc power series. Not sure how to tap into that. My old place had a Vista 20 board that I used AD2USB on.

SCW9057G-433

There is a Vista v10E board here too but it’s currently not powered. Only hardwire left is the siren it appears.

For the powermax stuff, do I absolutely need a panel for that too? It’s cheaper for me to get a panel then to buy all new sensors and detectors but I’m trying to keep a minimal amount of “brains” to reduce points of failure. Unless anyone has heard of unlocked Comcast brains that I can use for the visonic and zigbee stuff like they originally were. Plus I have a boatload of ipcameras left from the system.

It’s funny they make you buy all the parts but won’t let you buy the brain, so all your parts become useless without it.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Wink Hub…now I’m wondering why I bought the Vera Plus. I’ve been a long time Vera fan, even installed a few in a other homes, but the Wink Hub makes things easier. I really like the built in voice recognition for Google Home without having to do a bunch of hoopla, thats a huge hit. I’m slowly migrating things from my Vera Plus to my Wink Hub and and the rest of the stuff I have will be added to Wink Hub2 for consistency.

I find the Wink Hub doesn’t have all the automation complexities that I want/need over the Vera, but it is a very solid device as far as reliably controlling Z-wave, Zigbee, and Caseta devices. And it is free just like the Vera which is nice. I even have a switch on my Wink that lets me power cycle my Vera as needed :slight_smile:

Vera has all the security integration (almost all my sensors come from my security system) and automation complexity through PLEG that I needed to make my automation feel more seamless.