Open/close garage door with Alexa work around?

Yup. Several times. I added other devices afterwards and it found those no problem. So thinking it has something to do with being a Blind. But have seen that blinds are supported by Alexa so not sure where the issue lies.

I made mine work with a Routine in the Alexa app.

I decided the obvious “open the garage door” was a bit too, well, obvious. Last thing I need is someone coming around back, seeing an Echo device in the screened room or near a widow (open or otherwise) and trying “open the garage door” and suddenly having access.

I created nonsense phrases. “Raise the drawbridge”, etc. They system doesn’t care and it works perfectly.

2 Likes

No one can just yell in an open window, because the open command under Alexa has a 4 digit voice pin. The Vera skill just doesn’t support unlock. I just use a Siri Shortcut to a Vera scene until the Alexa skill is updated.

Alexa Routine worked but is a little hit and miss. Trying to figure out where the miscommunication is occurring.

My assumption is continual communications issues cloud <> cloud. It comes and goes. Alexa will state OK, and nothing happens, that the switch is not responding, that the hub the switch is connected to is off line check this and that.
Re-issue the command immediately afterwards and all is fine.

Annoying, but probably in-escapable given the maturity levels we’re dealing with

C