OpenHAB Remote Access to Vera Hub?

So, the MIOS Binding page currently says this:

The binding will only talk [to your] MiOS Units living on the same LAN as your MiOS Unit and/or are directly reachable from your LAN where openHAB is running.

Does this mean that using OpenHAB in one location, you can’t access MiOS units located remotely at all? Are there no port forwarding tricks, DynDNS tricks, etc. that can be used?

If so, then it sounds like using OpenHAB to monitor/work with remote MiOS units (i.e. in rental properties, second homes, etc.) is out. Any idea if this is going to be a possibility in the future? Would it be a high or low level of effort to “fix” in the current MiOS Binding and/or OpenHAB?

Thanks,

—Lawrence

You can add the necessary routines to the MiOS Binding to enable remote connectivity but it’ll need to be developed for UI5 and UI7 since the remoting scheme changed between the releases.

I didn’t add it because I didn’t need it, and there’s not a large user base who need that sort of functionality (openHAB has a cleaner, and likely more secure, model for remoting services)

Do not port forward, that’s just asking for a mountain of (security) pain.

A s2s VPN tunnel would work cleanly and securely though.