openLuup: Turn-key Images & Linux (Aptitude) Guide

The openLuup plugin should be installed as device #2 (which, in Vera, is the local scene controller.) If you have another one, then go ahead and delete it, although I would be very interested to know what you did to do that… did you perhaps try and install it from the plugins menu? It comes built-in with the basic system.

I think it was already there when I got to AltUI for the first time. I did however have some troubles with my virtual network card when I first started the VM.

Just to be sure. Is there now a backup script configured in the VM that runs automatically? Because I see a backup file, but as stated, there is no scene for it.

I have to create my own scene, right?

Sorry, don?t understand this question. Backups of the user_data.json file are made regularly (default is 6 minutes after startup, and thereafter every hour) with 5 previous versions being saved (by default.)

The AltUI interface More > Table Controllers > Backup allow you to generate a separately archived (and, by default, compressed) backup file with the option to download to your browser machine. This action can also be initiated by HTTP request.

If you need something more, then, yes, you could write your own scene to do it. Or, indeed, an external script.

[quote=“akbooer, post:262, topic:191587”]Sorry, don?t understand this question. Backups of the user_data.json file are made regularly (default is 6 minutes after startup, and thereafter every hour) with 5 previous versions being saved (by default.)

The AltUI interface More > Table Controllers > Backup allow you to generate a separately archived (and, by default, compressed) backup file with the option to download to your browser machine. This action can also be initiated by HTTP request.

If you need something more, then, yes, you could write your own scene to do it. Or, indeed, an external script.[/quote]

Ok, that was the answer I was looking for. I want to save some older backups then 5 hours, for example every week. Thanks!

Hello CudaNet,

First, thank you again for the images & the guides.

Concerning the instruction file: raspberryPi_Debian.txt

When I followed the guide a few weeks / months? ago, I basically had an idiot moment at step [02]. The Pi that I was using was connected to my network via WiFi. I’d already had the Pi’s WiFi mac address registered to my router to assign a particular ip address when booted. (this Pi is being used for osmc) But it was located at a convenient spot next to my laptop, and has a monitor & keyboard already connected.

I figured to set up the openLuup image here, and then just move the micro-sd to my LAN connected Pi in the basement (the ultimate home of openLuup)

This is where my idiot moment kicked in. After about 20 minutes of head scratching, (why won’t my network assign my Pi the ip address specified in my router?) DUH DUH you idiot! you goofball! This is a brand new OS, which does NOT contain my wifi credentials.

OK, no problem. Searched the internet & learned how to edit the wpa_supplicant.conf file and on I go.

End of story.

Jump ahead in time several weeks . . .
I decided to start again from scratch & re-image my openLuup install onto a larger micro-sd. Again, I used the same (WiFi connected, osmc tasked) Pi to do the setup.

Would you believe I made the same dumb mistake AGAIN! I forgot about the wpa_supplicant.conf that I had made earlier and had another head scratching several moments.

I’m not a networking newbie, but I sure forgot twice an important step.

I think your guides (& the images) are very valuable still. Would you consider incorporating similar wording like the sample below?

Of course it’s possible that I am the only one who had the idiot moment (twice)

[code][02] Step [02] >> image << : First time boot.
Turn-Key.
-----------------------------------------------------

[a]	Power 'on' the Raspberry and allow it to fully boot.

> Attempt to ping >> ip address << :
	> The system should respond with: 

--

Pinging >> address << with 32 bytes of data:
		Reply from >> ip address <<: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64
		Reply from >> ip address <<: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=64

--

> If you can successfully ping the Raspberry, you can proceed to the next step.
	> If you cannot, then you'll need to properly troubleshoot the static, dhcp or IP subnet.

Suggested step [02] newbie addendum here. Before or after step [02] [a] whichever you think.
[b] If you cannot initially connect your Raspberry Pi to your home network with a LAN cable, (ie you are using WiFi), you will
not be able to ping the Pi. (Of course not, your wifi network is probably encrypted WPA, WPA2 etc.). In this situation, connect
a USB keyboard and a monitor directly to the Raspberry before powering on.

When the Raspberry finishes booting, login with user: pi and password: raspberry.
	Type - "sudo nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf" (without the quotes)
	Add the following 4 lines to the end of the file that is opened:

network={
	    ssid="testing" -- where "testing" is the SSID of your WiFi network. (you MUST use the quotes here)
	    psk="Password" -- where "Password" is the password on your WiFi network (you MUST use the quotes here)
	}

Tip:	the default keyboard/locale setup will show an ampersand "@" symbol when you try to enter a quote symbol.
		When entering the ssid & psk values, use the "@" key instead of the quotes and you should be good.

Save the modified file using the instruction symbols at the bottom of your monitor.

When you are returned to the $ prompt, type "sudo reboot" (without the quotes) to reboot the Pi.

After the Pi is restarted, login again with the user: pi and password: raspberry

At the $ prompt type:
	ifconfig

The output on your monitor should show the ip address that was assigned by your router. Now try to ping the address
	from your computer.

You should now be able to continue to step [04] using your computer.

[/code]

Regards,
Chris

Hi guys - am new to this so please bear with : ) Have just received shiny pi 3 model B + and have loaded the Raspbian Jessie Lite image onto a 32gb card.

I am stuck with a rainbow screen and from my google searches I have discovered “The bootloader included with Raspbian Jessie (v8) doesn’t support the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+.”

This is taken from Raspberry Pi boots to rainbow screen when trying to load RetroPie - Raspberry Pi Stack Exchange

Should I bang my head on the table some more and wait for the 8gb card to be delivered or have I simply missed something?

I would take out the SD card from the RasPi and place it in a reader on a windows machine.

Then use “SD Card Formatter” https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/
Then download the latest RasPi image Raspberry Pi OS – Raspberry Pi

Then write the raspbian image to the sd card using “Etcher” https://etcher.io/

Take the card out of the windows machine, place it in the RasPi and power up. You should get a boot.

If you don’t have an SD reader on your windows machine, you can get a fairly cheap reader on Amazon or Ebay that plugs into a USB port. https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Portable-Reader-RS-MMC-Micro/dp/B006T9B6R2/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_147_bs_t_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=RDPD5568RV3GWS3EP931

After you get a boot, follow the install directions for installing openLuup and the needed Lua libraries. Pay close attention to the details of the instructions and make sure your install commands are exactly as read in the manual.

From comments in the forum, openLuup seems to run on most Linux distros so don’t worry about the flavor or branch.

Thanks Buxton. Have tried your suggestion and learnt a lot along the way. Not quite working yet but very nearly.

Your welcome. Here are a couple of other links for Windows based software that I typically use to manage my Pi.

For file movement, editing in place, creating folders and various other mundane tasks, nothing beats WinSCP: WinSCP :: Official Site :: Download

To SSh into your box for command line configuration of your linux environment, Putty is very good: Download PuTTY: latest release (0.78)

And for basic network scans, IP scanner picks up most of my network devices: http://www.advanced-ip-scanner.com

+1

Fing (https://www.fing.io/) is an excellent freeware network scanner for IOS and Android. Handy when you need a hand-held IP scanner. On IOS, MAC addresses are not available due, to an IOS change that won’t allow apps to access them.

Eventually found the dev branch of openLuup and replaced all the files on the pi. Using the updated manual March 2018 from akbooer I now have altui working! Verabridge is installed and have entered ip for one of the veras into the ip box in attributes but there is no connection.

[ul][li]Have you restarted openLuup?[/li]
[li]Have you disabled the security features on Vera (if using new firmware)?[/li][/ul]

To recap: had a problem using the turn-key image with a pi model B + and so tried more challenging install using CudaNet and akbooer guides. Not much luck with openLuup master but got there in the end with openLuup from the development branch and the method described therein (See Documentation folder). As a complete novice I am setting out my progress for anyone else’s benefit and possible ‘reminder to self’. Do let me know if there are catastrophic errors here ; )

Decided to do fresh install to /etc/cmh-ludl as opposed to /home/pi/vera/cmh-ludl. Had to change permissions for the folder first sudo chmod -R ugo+rw /etc/cmh-ludl. Continued with instructions.

Got “error in callback [lr_ALTUI_Handler] : [string “L_ALTUI.lua”]:2307: attempt to index local ‘tbl’ (a nil value)”. Stopped openLuup (http://openLuupIP:3480/data_request?id=exit) and edited user_data.json by inserting {} into PluginConfig value. Continued with instructions.

Linked to Vera using Verabridge. Devices have been copied and icons but most variables are not displaying even though they are populated in the Variable list.

Feel I should ask about this in another thread as it is getting off topic now. Thanks for all your help guys.

This is a known problem described elsewhere. @rafale posted a temporary fix for openLuup but it really just needs a variable fixing in AltUI, IIRC.

Search should find, but I’ll post a link later if necessary.

Thanks, couldn’t find it myself but did make some headway bridging to the three veras and now have something to show for it. Next stop datayours/grafana. Cheers.

This is the post I was thinking of…
http://forum.micasaverde.com/index.php/topic,83034.msg387377.html#msg387377

For your next stop, developments are in progress to archive openLuup device variables to DataYours completely without any configuration, which will make things easier. But feel free to play. Avoid the out of date dashboard DataDash.

1 Like

Thank you for doing the work your food to create this! I have a Windows 10 machine that is always on so I installed Virtual Box and have it running in it.

How do I update? Sorry, I’m a noob :grin: it tells me there is an update and I say yes to it, but it doesn’t do anything.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk