openLuup: Turn-key Images & Linux (Aptitude) Guide

anyone build, or find, a docker image ?

Sadly, my development machine is not able to run the Docker development environment… must upgrade one day!

I’m still looking into this. Work is actually placing me in courses to extend my knowledge of Linux and being able to spin up Containers/Swarms for AWS.

+1 for the docker image!

I promise, I haven’t forgotten about this, I just haven’t had any time… Way too many work projects … Maybe in late September…

Going to look into a Zero W this weekend for my sisters alarm system this weekend. I noticed that my turn-key (Jessie) wouldn’t boot on this device…
Update: All done, had to load Raspbian Stretch lite… Works now so I’ll be able to provide a turn-key here shortly. The Zero is good for anyone running the VeraBridge or standalone (non-zwave) plugins.

AK did an amazing job with the installer for openLuup, kudos… Now I have to clean up a lot of unnecessary steps in the guides (assuming anyone still uses them) as well as doing a couple of updates to the turn-key images.

–CN

Hi, I have just come across this thread, and have loaded the Raspberry Pi image onto a Pi 2. All has gone well up to step 25 were I successfully downloaded the files from my Vera (Vera Plus) and copied then to openLuup.
The issue occurs at Step 31 Bridging Vera to openLuup. I enter the code from the guide (inserting my veras IP address) and then do a Reload Luup Engine. At that point my web browser looses contact with openLuup. Restarting the Pi I get to the Login Prompt, but also receive the following message every few seconds on the console:
device 5 ‘Vera’ requesting reload
The web interface is not running I just get the error ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

P.S. Any chance of a Raspian Stretch image for the Pi 2/3. Thanks

Peter.

Apologies, I must have somehow missed this post… Please let us know if you were able to get past this… I am way behind in updating my documentation, although AK has created a great installer. I’m actually considering pulling the documentation or at the least, removing all the unnecessary material that no longer applies OR just sticking to turn-key images you can load directly.

As for the Raspbian Stretch. Yes, I’m due to upload this. I’m hoping the holidays will allow me some time to catch up on things… I’ll post when it’s available.

Thanks,
CN

[quote=“PBeeston, post:247, topic:191587”]Hi, I have just come across this thread, and have loaded the Raspberry Pi image onto a Pi 2. All has gone well up to step 25 were I successfully downloaded the files from my Vera (Vera Plus) and copied then to openLuup.
The issue occurs at Step 31 Bridging Vera to openLuup. I enter the code from the guide (inserting my veras IP address) and then do a Reload Luup Engine. At that point my web browser looses contact with openLuup. Restarting the Pi I get to the Login Prompt, but also receive the following message every few seconds on the console:
device 5 ‘Vera’ requesting reload
The web interface is not running I just get the error ERR_CONNECTION_RESET.

P.S. Any chance of a Raspian Stretch image for the Pi 2/3. Thanks

Peter.[/quote]

Thanks for the reply. Yes I did get around this by not manually configuring the Bridge, or even getting the files.
I noticed in the documentation that you could get the files and create the Bridge within AltUI, so as soon as the image was done, I did the initial raspberry setup (raspi-config), then I went into AltUI and created the bridge, then within the Bridge device, I downloaded the files, and all worked fine.

That’s great news, thanks for the update…

[quote=“PBeeston, post:249, topic:191587”]Thanks for the reply. Yes I did get around this by not manually configuring the Bridge, or even getting the files.
I noticed in the documentation that you could get the files and create the Bridge within AltUI, so as soon as the image was done, I did the initial raspberry setup (raspi-config), then I went into AltUI and created the bridge, then within the Bridge device, I downloaded the files, and all worked fine.[/quote]

[quote=“CudaNet, post:246, topic:191587”]. . . snip
Now I have to clean up a lot of unnecessary steps in the guides (assuming anyone still uses them) as well as doing a couple of updates to the turn-key images.

–CN[/quote]

CudaNet,
Assume YES!
Your guides helped me greatly. You must have cleaned up some, eg step #X Turn-Key - Optional Step.
Your great work helps us linux/winscp/putty challenged folks enjoy akbooer’s and amg0’s great work.
Regards,
Chris

Mr. C,

Do you know if your image will load on an Orange Pi. I just bought one of these and would like to not travel any road already known to fail. If so, do you have any recommendations for a procedural install of openluup.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-PC2-SET5-Orange-Pi-PC2-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-Supported-Android-Ubuntu-Debian/32774604693.html

Thx ahead of time.

Much appreciated …

[quote=“ChrisTheC, post:251, topic:191587”][quote=“CudaNet, post:246, topic:191587”]. . . snip
Now I have to clean up a lot of unnecessary steps in the guides (assuming anyone still uses them) as well as doing a couple of updates to the turn-key images.

–CN[/quote]

CudaNet,
Assume YES!
Your guides helped me greatly. You must have cleaned up some, eg step #X Turn-Key - Optional Step.
Your great work helps us linux/winscp/putty challenged folks enjoy akbooer’s and amg0’s great work.
Regards,
Chris[/quote]

Honestly, I don’t know but it should only take a second to determine if it will. Unfortunately I don’t have a O-Pi to test with… Let us know and I’ll add it to page 1 of this thread for others…

Thanks,
CN

[quote=“Buxton, post:252, topic:191587”]Mr. C,

Do you know if your image will load on an Orange Pi. I just bought one of these and would like to not travel any road already known to fail. If so, do you have any recommendations for a procedural install of openluup.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orange-Pi-PC2-SET5-Orange-Pi-PC2-Transparent-ABS-Case-Power-Supply-Supported-Android-Ubuntu-Debian/32774604693.html

Thx ahead of time.[/quote]

Hi guys,

I?ve fired up the vbox image and I can reach AltUI, but when I try to install the VeraBridge nothing happens. I get the message that it installed successfully and that luup will be reloaded, but the device is not created and when I go to the plugins screen again, the checkmark is disabled again.

I can?t find any errors anywhere. Any ideas?

Ps. I also got two OpenLuup devices in AltUI. This cannot be right.

I think it’s worth trying to update your openLuup image before anything else… the turnkey image is a bit dated these days (although, to be fair, it certainly worked well!)

The check mark on the Plugins screen is meaningless, and indeed it is not checked by default. Perhaps you clicked that box, rather than pressing the button on the right hand side?

To update openLuup from the Plugins screen, just type development into the Update box and click the update button on the right (NOT the checkbox.)

Always worth refreshing the browser after things have updated.

[quote=“akbooer, post:256, topic:191587”]I think it’s worth trying to update your openLuup image before anything else… the turnkey image is a bit dated these days (although, to be fair, it certainly worked well!)

The check mark on the Plugins screen is meaningless, and indeed it is not checked by default. Perhaps you clicked that box, rather than pressing the button on the right hand side?

To update openLuup from the Plugins screen, just type development into the Update box and click the update button on the right (NOT the checkbox.)

Always worth refreshing the browser after things have updated.[/quote]

This fixed it, thnx akbooer!

Now I only still have two OpenLuup devices. Can this give me any problems?

[quote=“RHCPNG, post:257, topic:191587”]This fixed it, thnx akbooer!

Now I only still have two OpenLuup devices. Can this give me any problems?[/quote]

That happened to me too. I think I may have checked the “Update” box on the “Plugins” page (as akbooer notes above is not needed). When I figured the correct way to update openLuup, I was left with 2 openLuup plugins.

Since I was just starting with the VirtualBox image, I didn’t care if I screwed things up (easy enough to recreate from scratch at this point) . . .
I just trashed one of the openLuup plugins - see image below.

Hope this helps
Chris

The openLuup plugin should be installed as device #2 (which, in Vera, is the local scene controller.) If you have another one, then go ahead and delete it, although I would be very interested to know what you did to do that… did you perhaps try and install it from the plugins menu? It comes built-in with the basic system.

I think it was already there when I got to AltUI for the first time. I did however have some troubles with my virtual network card when I first started the VM.