OpenSprinkler Plugin Update for firmware 2.1.3+

[quote=“kyle.dawson, post:20, topic:185261”]Just tried plugin with new file, getting new error:

OpenSprinkler : Error manually controlling valve Bad Status Code: 404

OSPi
Software version: 2.2.30 (2015-02-21)

FYI… In Florida, so I can do any testing you like… 75 here today :)[/quote]

Hi Kyle,

I’m not sure what the software version 2.2.30 refers to, but in order for this to work, you would need firmware 2.1.3 which is the new unified firmware for all versions of OS. In the “About” portion of the software, it should say something about what firmware version you are running. Check out the post here which was just posted today. The 2.1.3 firmware is considered beta for the OSPi. It may be completely different than what you are running on there now.

Bruce

I think there may be other UI on the PI versions. Here is the one I have:

http://rayshobby.net/mediawiki/index.php/Python_Interval_Program_for_OSPi

Attached is my UI. Maybe I have the wrong UI?

[quote=“kyle.dawson, post:22, topic:185261”]I think there may be other UI on the PI versions. Here is the one I have:

http://rayshobby.net/mediawiki/index.php/Python_Interval_Program_for_OSPi

Attached is my UI. Maybe I have the wrong UI?[/quote]

Yes, I think the new unified firmware is different than the python version you are using.

Bruce

I was able to get the beta version installed. Vera Plugin works with the new firmware. It saw my sprinklers and was able to start them from Vera. My issue, the program on the PI keeps crashing. But this is beta, so I will wait until they work it out. But great news, the vera plugin does work on the OSPI version. One note, I had to disable security for my test.

Is there any advantage to buying the PI or BeagleBone version vs. the prebuilt one? I just placed my order for the prebuilt one and a 16 station expander.

I think the Pi and the BB version are for people who are into those boards, have experience programming them or maybe have extras laying around. The standard arduino based version is fine for anyone who’s not doing their own microcontroller stuff.

I do a lot of arduino programming, but I think their stuff is pretty good, so I don’t really see a need to muck around with my own version of the firmware.

Bruce

That’s great news. Not the crashing, of course, but the fact that the plugin seems to work with no modifications :slight_smile:

So as a guy with a drawer full of pic programmers, I’m not missing anything? I suppose if I want to fart around with a beagle or pi I probably don’t want to mess with my irrigation anyway. I got a lot to lose if that’s not stable.

Just wanted to follow up, I have mine working with OSPI beta. Looks like they did some updates last week or so, not mine works and does not crash. I can control with this plugin via scenes. I use scenes so I can control via my phone and the AutHomation andoriod app. Great work on this plugin, very simple to install and use.

Kyle

So how do you use it Kyle? Do you have like 5 scenes correlating to each irrigation zone as an on/off with the predefined run time?

As you use it in authomation I mean.

[quote=“tomtcom, post:30, topic:185261”]So how do you use it Kyle? Do you have like 5 scenes correlating to each irrigation zone as an on/off with the predefined run time?

As you use it in authomation I mean.[/quote]

Yea I haven’t found much use of this. I have had to add my own options like runing a full cycle not just open and close one valve. Also when I run a zone I would like my predetermined time to run, each zone is different. Right now I can set only run time for all.
So to me this plugin needs alot more features to make it something more then just manual turn on/off.

I admit, the OpenSprinkler is really all I needed, it has app and really runs on its own with logging, etc. I just wanted to have one feature, ability to control from internet without putting the OpenSprinkler on the internet directly for on demand on/off. I am coming home from work and decided I wanted to mow, I can tell it not to run so when I get home, grass is not wet. My entire design for my automation is that Vera is my Portal for my home. I have lots of apps and systems I can open to the internet, but the fewer the more secure I may be. I really like the option to connect all my systems together, so if one day I need it, its there.

As for what I did, I have three zones. I create 6 Scenes, on/off for each zone. Create Favorite area named sprinkler, I can see all 6 on one screen. I let the OpenSprinkler run is programs, the zimmerman logic with the weather lookup feature. That really has the best water solution for me. I set to run 30 min, but based on rain, humidity, temp, etc… It will change the run time from 0% to 200% based on past and future weather.

I plan to have the datamining vera plugin as well, that would help me calculate how much water I use based on run time I hope. OpenSprinkler has this data, but not as rich as I could do in Vera.

Is this using the enable/disable on the master? I guess that’s a pretty good use.

Other then that I found that I can train my Mailman to not walk across the grass and use the walkway instead. Thanks to camera/motion setup I used to use only for notification now can flip on the sprinklers for 10 sec.

Is there any way to turn the debug logging off? 95% of my log is opensprinkler…

I see the same

Sure, at the top of I_OpenSprinkler1.xml you will see something like this:

local TASK_HANDLE = nil local PW = "" local HASHEDPW = nil local MSG_CLASS = "OpenSprinkler" local DEBUG_MODE = true

Just change the DEBUG_MODE variable to “false” and it turns off the debug logging. Upload the file after changing it and restart luup and it will be set.

Since most people seem to be working fine with the current code, I’ll probably make that change myself and post it here soon. There might be quite a bit of non-debug logging as well. If you still feel it’s a bit too verbose for you, then let me know and I’ll see if I can move some of that into debug output.

Bruce

Sure, at the top of I_OpenSprinkler1.xml you will see something like this:

local TASK_HANDLE = nil local PW = "" local HASHEDPW = nil local MSG_CLASS = "OpenSprinkler" local DEBUG_MODE = true

Just change the DEBUG_MODE variable to “false” and it turns off the debug logging. Upload the file after changing it and restart luup and it will be set.

Since most people seem to be working fine with the current code, I’ll probably make that change myself and post it here soon. There might be quite a bit of non-debug logging as well. If you still feel it’s a bit too verbose for you, then let me know and I’ll see if I can move some of that into debug output.

Bruce[/quote]

I decided to just remove the plugin for now. I was having issues with the edge slowing up and after posting the logs people recommend house cleaning.

The Open Sprinkler API is very good and has a complete list of options that can be sent via Http. The plugin Didn’t have time settings, run all zones or alot of other useful options that I could see. At this point it seemed better to setup a few Scenes with wget Http commands to.

What are the planned expansions on this plugin?

[quote=“integlikewhoa, post:37, topic:185261”]I decided to just remove the plugin for now. I was having issues with the edge slowing up and after posting the logs people recommend house cleaning.

The Open Sprinkler API is very good and has a complete list of options that can be sent via Http. The plugin Didn’t have time settings, run all zones or alot of other useful options that I could see. At this point it seemed better to setup a few Scenes with wget Http commands to.

What are the planned expansions on this plugin?[/quote]

It kind of depends on what people want out of this plugin. The OS software is really pretty good, and there’s no real good way to duplicate a lot of the functionality in the vera UI. So, I think the main point of the plugin was to make sure there was manual control of your sprinkler valves and any scheduling, etc., that one might want to do could be done through vera scenes. The plugin uses the HTTP API, that you are using in your scenes, but there’s likely to be people that aren’t that familiar with using wget and HTTP calls, so using the scenes to operate valves via the plugin makes more sense for them.

So, if there are suggestions that make sense to have in the plugin, then I’m certainly open to looking into them.

Bruce

[quote=“brucehvn, post:38, topic:185261”][quote=“integlikewhoa, post:37, topic:185261”]I decided to just remove the plugin for now. I was having issues with the edge slowing up and after posting the logs people recommend house cleaning.

What are the planned expansions on this plugin?[/quote]

It kind of depends on what people want out of this plugin. The OS software is really pretty good, and there’s no real good way to duplicate a lot of the functionality in the vera UI. So, I think the main point of the plugin was to make sure there was manual control of your sprinkler valves and any scheduling, etc., that one might want to do could be done through vera scenes. The plugin uses the HTTP API, that you are using in your scenes, but there’s likely to be people that aren’t that familiar with using wget and HTTP calls, so using the scenes to operate valves via the plugin makes more sense for them.

So, if there are suggestions that make sense to have in the plugin, then I’m certainly open to looking into them.

Bruce[/quote]

Sounds logical, I’ll work on a few ideas I have now and see how that goes.

It certainly would be feasible to grab the programs people have programmed into OS and their names and create child UI elements for those like we do for the manual valves. Then you could basically start a program from a vera scene. But it still remains to be seen if that’s really necessary when you can schedule those programs so easily in OS.

Bruce