Paradox Security Systems DGP/EVO Alarm Plugin

Yeap, that’s one of the features I figured would vary across Alarm implementations, either due to technical limitations (like the Paradox’s ability to see &/or change Bypass Zones) or by a Security one (having unsecured ability to Bypass a Zone “on the fly” could be considered a Security risk (if a PIN isn’t required to set it)

We can use the other thread to evolve the Alarm interface(s) to a common standard that we can agree on, both for the high level API (the common stuff) as well as some of the Semantic meaning(s) of the data presented.

Hi Gussed:

First of all, thank you for your work, this plugin looks great.

I am planning to integrate Vera with a Paradox Spectra SP5500 alarm panel. According to the UI4 installatin instructions posted on the Wiki, you have to set “Home Automation” to “on” during the PRT3 configuration. This is option [016] for Evo panels, but doesn’t say which option is for Spectra models.

Do you know, how to configure the PRT3 working with a Spectra model, in order to get it to work with this plugin?

Best regards and thanks,

German

The Paradox PRT3 comes with an install guide of sorts that comes in the box. I haven’t looked at it in some time, but recall that the same board is used by the Spectra series also. It should contain the instructions on how to enable the feature, as that’s how I got the option [016] stuff for my [older] Digiplex DGP-848.

Unfortunately I don’t have a Spectra, so haven’t had the experience in working with that model in their range.

Anyhow, the Plugin talks to the HA interface/protocols exposed by the PRT3, which seems to normalize the differences between the Panels it talks to. The specific components I have/test against are listed in the References section at the bottom of the page on code.mios.com

Thanks guessed… I’ll try to find out how to make it work… because, according to the manual, the home automation option [016] for EVO / Digiplex doesn’t exist for Spectra.

Posted version 1.3 of the Plugin at:
http://www.box.net/shared/nbjxsxu57o

(Instructions on the Wiki updated also to link to the new file). This introduces the “Scene” actions, so you can now trigger Arming/Disarming actions on the Panel from within a Scene (if Feature enabled). It also adds the same Fire/Medical/Police Alarm actions that @futzle recently added to the GE NX Panel series, in order to keep the Interfaces the same.

Both features will only work if the corresponding parameter is “enabled” as they could be considered Security risks (due to storing of PINs, or due to no PIN requirement to trigger the Alarms)

As usual, use at your own risk :wink:

Posted version 1.5 of the Plugin at:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_paradox-alarm/browser/tags/1.5-UI5

(Instructions on the Wiki updated also to link to the new file). This version supports both UI4 and UI5. In order to do this, certain Dashboard buttons needed to be removed from the Dashboard UI. These functions are still available for Scene scripting, so they’re only missing from the Dashboard (due to UI5 imposed limitations)

This release includes all the standardized Alarm Panel functionality, so that Control points can control it, the DSC, GE, Ademoco plugins (Etc, etc) in the same manner.

I will submit the required updates to the UI5/apps.mios.com catalog shortly.

Posted version 1.5 of the Plugin at:
http://code.mios.com/trac/mios_paradox-alarm/browser/tags/1.51

(Instructions on the Wiki updated also to link to the new file). This version supports both UI4 and UI5. This version includes support for the HaDevice1::ToggleState action on the Zones. Clicking on the “Running man” in the UI will toggle the Armed/Bypass state of the Zone (local MiOS State only, since this isn’t tied to the Bypass mode in the Paradox Alarm unit)

The changes have been submitted to the UI5/apps.mios.com catalog as well.

Hello all. Guessed, I plead again for assistance. A few weeks back I had problems integrating the Envisalink3 DSC module into the Vera. You were kind enough to offer help, and I never got back to you. I was able to muddle through and get it working on my own. I appreciate that you were so prompt, regardless.

Now, I’m trying to get the Paradox EVO192 panel with a PRT3 integrated. I previously uninstalled the DSC plugin prior to any of this in case there was any confusion. I followed your instructions to the letter, on the UI5 installation page for the Paradox plugin. I programmed the panel to allow home automation. I noted your caution about the zone labels, as they were previously established. So, after programming the PRT3, I then went in and ‘re-saved’ the text for the zones. I hope that was enough. Next, I set the baud rate of both the PRT3 and the Vera to 57600. I installed the plugin, then switched the serial port on the Vera to be ‘using’ the Paradox plugin. Saved. Reloaded. Now I get the Paradox Security EVO Alarm in my devices list, however it says “Lua Startup Failure Lua Failure” in red. Up on the top of the screen it says: “ParadoxAlarmPanel : Failure in Request-Area-Label Response, communications error AL001”. No zones are listed.

Am I doing something basic incorrectly? Any help is appreciated in advance.

It sounds like you’ve taken the right steps, but there’s a lot of gotcha’s in Vera. I’ll need a copy of the Log file, at Vera startup, from your machine so I can really see what’s going on.

You can send that to the email address I’d PM’d you before.

Before we do that though, I’d like to resolve the last problem you had with the DSC. Can you send me those logs, covering a time period where the issue was experienced? If that issue was resolved then go ahead and post the solution to that thread so it gets closed out correctly, and so that others may benefit from the outcome.

Once that’s done, I’ll move on to resolving this one.

Guessed,

Consider the DSC issue a red herring. You may as well just close it. If you’d like I’ll post, explaining so. I’ve learned much about the Vera, and I realize how finicky it can be. I think I wasn’t giving it enough time to figure itself out. I’ve second guessed my thinking that it was failing after a certain time frame. I suspect I’ve wasted your time on that one. Either that, or it simply solved itself somehow.

Here is the relevant logs, I believe. I got this right out of the log file.

02 01/25/13 12:06:01.957 Device_Service::MatchupUpnpServices no upnp service for urn:demo-paradox-com:serviceId:ParadoxSecurityEVO1 <0x2b6b4000>
09 01/25/13 12:06:07.309 JobHandler_LuaUPnP::Run device 18 Paradox Security EVO Alarm room 0 type urn:demo-paradox-com:device:alarm:1 id parent 0/0xe00e80 upnp: 0 <0x2b6b4000>
50 01/25/13 12:44:11.864 luup_log:18: ParadoxSecurity: Paradox EVO #18 starting with id <0x2b7b1680>
50 01/25/13 12:44:11.867 luup_log:18: ParadoxSecurity: About to request AL001 <0x2b7b1680>
06 01/25/13 12:44:21.868 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 18 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1 variable: CommFailure was: 1 now: 1 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xbc30a0/NONE duplicate:1 <0x2b7b1680>
01 01/25/13 12:44:21.873 LuaInterface::CallFunction_Startup-2 device 18 function alarmStartup failed ParadoxAlarmPanel with return false <0x2b7b1680>
06 01/25/13 12:44:21.874 Device_Variable::m_szValue_set device: 18 service: urn:micasaverde-com:serviceId:HaDevice1 variable: CommFailure was: 1 now: 1 #hooks: 0 upnp: 0 v:0xbc30a0/NONE duplicate:1 <0x2b7b1680>
01 01/25/13 12:44:21.875 LuImplementation::StartLua running startup code for 18 I_ParadoxSecurityEVO.xml failed <0x2b7b1680>

Hello I am new to the forum. I am also having the error code for my paradox system.(request area label response communication error AL001) Just wondering if any one can help me?thanks

Also can I use the USB port on the prt3 or do I have to use the db9 serial port and convert USB be to plug into the the Vera. There is a Rx and a tx light for the USB port and it does not have activity, that’s why I’m thinking I have to use the db9? I would appreciate anyone’s feedback.

all gd up; Yes, you use the USB for sure. I got it all working. I suspect we had the same problem. Seems the issue wasn’t with Vera, or even the PRT3, but with the EVO panel itself.

Guessed, if this information is useful to add to the installation instructions, feel free to add what you’d like from this.

These instructions are specifically for the Digiplex EVO line of panels. The Spectra SP/MG line does not have automation capabilities. If anyone is able to get a Spectra system to work with the Vera, PLEASE let me know. This would be invaluable knowledge to me.

1. Be sure you have the PRT3 correctly connected to the panel’s bus system, and powered correctly. Do NOT connect this device with the panel powered up!!! Remove the AC connection AND the battery. Attach the colour coded wires from the PRT3 to the main panel’s bus. Yellow to Yellow, Green to Green, + to Aux+ or Red, - to Aux- or Black. Then power up by putting the battery back in, and then the AC adapter. You may or may not get a trouble indicating loss of clock.

2. Next, go into installer mode on the alarm. Hold zero on the keypad, until a 6 digit code is asked for. Then type the installer code. (If you must call your alarm dealer for this, they will most likely refuse to give you installer access. They may wish to do this stuff themselves.)

3. Do a module scan to assure the panel enrolls the PRT3 on the bus properly. enter section [4006].

4. In section [3035], set switch 7 ON (Transmit zone status on serial port).

5. In section [3035], set switch 8 ON (Serial port baud rate set to 57600).

6. Enter PRT3 Programming by first entering section [4003]. Then, enter the 8 digit serial number of the PRT3. This can be found on a little paper label on the PRT3 board.

7. In section [016], set switch 1 ON (Turns on the serial port)

8. In section [016], set switch 4 ON (Enables Home Automation Integration)

9. In section [016], set switches 2 and 3 ON (This combination sets the baud rate to 57600, to match the panel, and the Vera)

10. Return to main panel programming by hitting clear.

11. If the zone labels in the panel were set prior to all this, enter section [4004]. This will allow Label Broadcast. To transmit the labels, enter 00. Then press the ACC button on the keypad. If you do not have this button, try the FIRE button, or START button. This ‘ought’ to send all labels, to all devices provisioned on the bus system. If this does not work, see the next step.

12. If you must manually set the zone labels, or they have not been set at all yet, you must enter keypad programming. Enter section [0000]. This will display the current keypad’s serial number. Record it.

13. In section [4003], enter the keypad’s serial number to enter keypad programming.

14. In section [201] to [204] you may rename the “Areas”. Refer to the EVO programming manual on page 65 for specifics on entering the text itself.

15. In section [101] to [148] you may rename the “Zones”. Refer to the EVO programming manual on page 65 for specifics on entering the text itself.

16. Once label programming is complete, hit clear multiple times until out of programming and back to normal operation. Your panel, PRT3, and label programming ought to be complete by this point. Go to Installation-UI4 – Paradox Alarm Plugin -or- Installation-UI5 – Paradox Alarm Plugin and follow the rest of the instructions to set up the Vera.

@Pestus,
Thanks for the writeup!! I’ll definitely include it into the formal Wiki page.

Thank you pestus. I appreciate the help. transfering labels on the evo. go to section 4004 type in the control panels serial number and then you need to type in the PRT3 serial number to transfer from panel to prt3. Using winload is the easiest if you have access to it. now im just wondering how you arm and disarm? I press arm and it says remote arming not enabled. i cant find such option in the paradox programming. You will probably know the fix for this. Thanks again!!

all gd up,

Yep! go into the settings for the “Paradox Security EVO Alarm”

In “Advanced” switch “enableRemoteArm” to “disarm” as opposed to “false”

[quote=“Pestus, post:57, topic:165163”]all gd up,

Yep! go into the settings for the “Paradox Security EVO Alarm”

In “Advanced” switch “enableRemoteArm” to “disarm” as opposed to “false”[/quote]
Yup, originally when this was written, @MCV asked us to make it a [non-default] option such that users had to do something specific to let people arm/disarm their systems.

I guess that’s probably to allow @MCV to avoid harming any liability re: monitored alarms, right? A user has to enable it, knowing the implications to his security function if he writes poor scenes?

motion sensor trips → disarm alarm. NERF.

Greetings.

So I have my Paradox alarm now singing harmonies with all my other components.

Having played with the UI5 for a few weeks, I’ve got a question with may or may not be basic here. Either way, I haven’t figured it out, and the only stupid question is the one not asked.

Is there any way to do scenes with conditions on it? As in, IF this is true, then trigger causes that.

My example is that I’ve got the alarm automatically switching into Stay mode upon onset of dusk. That works great, but if I happened to be away from the house that day, or out of town, it would over ride the Away armed state, and step it down to Stay mode. I’d like it to only switch to Stay mode if the system is Disarmed.

Am I asking too much of our little friend Vera Lite?