Philio and the Hooded Crow

I’ve just found a problem with my newly-installed Philio PSP04 motion sensor. It’s been attacked by a hooded crow!

I installed it on a post, in our front garden, at the recommended height of 1.6m. When I went out yesterday, it had fallen off. It’s only held on by a magnet, but it is a fairly strong one. I was curious, so I went to my CCTV recording and eventually found it. A hooded crow had flown down, perched on top of the post and had tried to take the sensor. It couldn’t grip the slippery plastic surface, so it fell to the ground. The thief then flew off.

I can only think that it thought the bright white spherical sensor was a big juicy egg and had tried to eat it. I’d never thought that that could be a problem. I’ll now have to find a solution. Maybe moved it down the post so that the crow can’t land on it, or paint it black?

Any thoughts?

And, no, this is not a joke post. I’ve got the video of the dastardly deed.

Pete

2 Likes

Paint it red balck and yellow strips like a venomous snake.

1 Like

This makes sense. I agree that the crow probably thought it was an egg.

C

I have this outside (x2):

No problems with birds. As I’m in the country (I’m at the very border of the city, so after my house there’s nothing more), we have all sorts of birds and they were never attracted. It’s a chinese, 20 bucks sensor you can source from AliExpress or similar.

Crows are one of the most intelligent birds. They will explore new things in their areas. Probably leave it alone after a while.

Brilliant idea. My wife would love that (NOT!)